November Exceptional Story: The Final Curtain

Very high quality story! Best of this series.

I’ve finished the ES, except for the Epilogue.

Very odd. But not at all bad. To the contrary, I felt as though I’ve gotten two good solid stories for the price of one
edited by cathyr19355 on 10/27/2016

Just to clarify, The part of the delay between an exceptional story becoming public is spent removing the season reward section.
Is this correct?

This is interesting. Has anyone messed around with getting Inspired recklessly high?

I saw at least one option at 10. But the cat was too cute for me to keep it high.

[li]
Yes! Mostly you apparently get shouted at by the theater manager on occassion, hissed at by the cat and take the time to rearrange some bones lying around.

On that note, I wonder why the choice at the end that references-and therefore implicitly is linked to-The Trust of the Heart-Catcher is the one that alters the play such that it is sacrificed but a seed is passed over, not the one where you carry it on as planned? One would think the thing would prefer you, well, do what it was going to.

I chose it anyway. As a Dreadful doctor destined to become a space bat someday (seriously why did the Bluejacket think I was the right person to handle his affairs) I can sympathise with an exiled terror, but…art demands sacrifice. Insofar as anything to do with Fingerking un-logic can, it feels right.

Also, because cats are snobs.

But you must earn it’s trust to be allowed to change anything is the idea. To change nothing requires nothing, no one need trust you if you’re not going against the grain here.

Wonderful. The new ES comes out a few hours before my Exceptional Friendship expires, so I can unlock in just it time without it auto-renewing and my mother yelling at me that the game is stealing her money.

Just to be clear, there’s a choice early on in the story that affects quirks, but it doesn’t explain how. Can anyone specify how it does? I would think that killing the First Mate would raise steadfast and sparing him would raise melancholy, but the morality of the action seems pretty vague. Which options raise or lower magnanimous and heartless respectively?
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 10/27/2016

Yeah, my quirk didn’t increase because it was past 10.

[quote=Robin Alexander][quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]Just to be clear, there’s a choice early on in the game that affects quirks, but it doesn’t explain how. Can anyone specify how it does? I would think that killing the First Mate would raise steadfast and sparing him would raise melancholy, but the morality of the action seems pretty vague. Which options raise or lower magnanimous and heartless respectively?
[/quote]

I don’t think either was raised . . . my alt had magnanimous lowered for killing him, while my main had heartless lowered for sparing him . . . assuming I remember correctly, as I didn’t pay much attention to my alt at that stage . . . I was worried at first, too, thinking maybe the effects were different to what I assumed, but luckily they fitted pretty much what I expected. Edit: I may not have noticed any gains due to being around 10 for some, and I think this story doesn’t let you go past the cap.

edited by Robin Alexander on 10/27/2016[/quote]

It doesn’t let you go past the cap, true. By the way, the Forum software only allows one set of spoiler tags per post.

Yes! Mostly you apparently get shouted at by the theater manager on occassion, hissed at by the cat and take the time to rearrange some bones lying around.

On that note, I wonder why the choice at the end that references-and therefore implicitly is linked to-The Trust of the Heart-Catcher is the one that alters the play such that it is sacrificed but a seed is passed over, not the one where you carry it on as planned? One would think the thing would prefer you, well, do what it was going to.

I chose it anyway. As a Dreadful doctor destined to become a space bat someday (seriously why did the Bluejacket think I was the right person to handle his affairs) I can sympathise with an exiled terror, but…art demands sacrifice. Insofar as anything to do with Fingerking un-logic can, it feels right.

Also, because cats are snobs.[/quote]

I am messing with Inspired now as well. The quality can, sadly, only go up to 20 before being capped off.

And, the reason for the unusual use of the Trust of the Heart-Catcher is because…

You have to talk to a conjuror from the Glass about it to get Trust up to 20. If you do, the Glass will tell you a way to change the script so that only the seed is brought in, and not the entire plant. While I do suppose it’s a bit of the wrong quality when looked at in hindsight, it makes quite a bit more sense if you go through with getting it up to 20.

I’ve been putting off October’s story to do other things, I didn’t realize the next story started before the end of the month. Is the last story not available anymore at all?

If you started it in the bluejacket’s house, it is. Otherwise, probably not.

Yes, same here. I think it was the Melancholy and Heartless choice, if I’m remembering correctly.
I had Heartless 2, which got completely wiped. My Melancholy is somewhere above 12, so it wasn’t affected even the slightest.

On a side note: I love the headcanon that my character is so sad, depressed, and jaded by what he’s been experiencing as a Monster Hunter and Seeker that the fate of the First Mate just rolls off him like water on an oiled cloth. He &quotfeels&quot sad, but it no longer affects him properly in the emotional sense.

edited by Stygota on 10/27/2016

I’ve got a weird feeling after one of the new starting quests in Sunless Sea and combined with something Harris said in the other months Exceptional Story as well as the the task the Severe Blue Jacket has us perform this month.

Where can I get a walktrough for this new adventure? Or the new adventure is pretty straight forward?

There aren’t walkthroughs for ES or other fate locked things. Since knowing what happens is kinda 90% of the reason to play them and all. But most of them, including this one, are fairly straight forward.

I quite enjoyed this one. It was one of those stories that got better and better as it went on. I am missing only the final choice, that has probably been the hardest choice in an ES for me so far, I just want to try all four of them.

Does anyone have the end results echoed? Particularly the choice of letting the show go on and sacrificing the audience, or either of the ones involved in burning the theatre down?

It’s pretty straight forward, just pay heed to the warning texts that is listed for certain choices and you should be fine.
edited by Akernis on 10/27/2016

I have the end where the audience was evacuated and the theater burned echoed to my journal here. However, I have not yet run into the epilogue opportunity card.

edited by kimeekat on 10/27/2016