Notability and Making Waves

I came back to the 'Neath this week after taking a few moths off. I came back to this Notability thing, and I’m wondering just how I’m going to raise it faster than it degrades. Aside from the cards &quotPromenade with the Celebrated Artist’s Model&quot, &quotThe Soft-Hearted Widow&quot and the new Notability cards, I can’t remember good ways to raise Making Waves. Is it best to grind souls, or cultivated Connected: Society? Is there some other better way?
edited by Eric Schwenke on 8/18/2013

You’ll want to look into turning your Townhouse into an Orphanage or a Salon through the Tower of Eyes card. You’ll have to invest some money and/or connections to build up their respective qualities, but once you’ve advanced them, they give you quite enormous Making Waves boosts - I went from 0 to 2 Notability and an advanced Profession in a few moments by keeping the relevant cards in my hand until I had everything I needed.

This might sound stupid, but where can I get Notability? At first I thought I have to draw the right card, but I keep drawing more and more of them, and it’s nowhere to be found…[li]
edited by Voodoo Master on 8/18/2013

This card.

Alternatively you can force a draw under deal with scandal and such in your lodgings if you have making waves 15. I recommend equpping all Bizarre/Respectable/Dreaded clothing first, since you only have one chance.
edited by Aximillio on 8/18/2013

[quote=Aximillio] I recommend equpping all Bizarre/Respectable/Dreaded clothing first, since you only have one chance.
edited by Aximillio on 8/18/2013[/quote]

Oh, now I remember I already got this card/storylet (well, now I know it’s a card, thanks) once from the &quotWhat’s New in August&quot, and I did this exact mistake - I went to my inventory to equip all my special clothing, and when I got back to story, it disappeared… it was really frustrating.[li]

Thank you very much for the info!

This has been very frustrating so far - I’ve twice built up a single Notability only to have it snatched away from me. I’m in the middle of promoting my Salon, hopefully that will eventually pay off…

[quote=Voodoo Master][quote=Aximillio] I recommend equpping all Bizarre/Respectable/Dreaded clothing first, since you only have one chance.
edited by Aximillio on 8/18/2013[/quote]

Oh, now I remember I already got this card/storylet (well, now I know it’s a card, thanks) once from the &quotWhat’s New in August&quot, and I did this exact mistake - I went to my inventory to equip all my special clothing, and when I got back to story, it disappeared… it was really frustrating.[l

Thank you very much for the info![/quote]

same here, and haven’t seen the card even once since then. Can’t even force the draw without having used it once before either.

That’s odd, I’ve gotten the card at least four times. Bought more emphatic typefaces twice by using a lot of connected Socieity up (ground it up in the Shuttered Palace and then lost 50 getting my notability up).

I’ve gotten the Amanuensis card several times, but the Tower of Eyes card only showed up around 3-4 times, and the card that allows you to upgrade your profession never showed up at all (had to fork over some nex to get to the next tier). Seems fairly unbalanced, but more than that, the game failed to communicate to you that it might be so unbalanced.

Well, more than a balancing problem, it seems to be an instance of one of Murphy’s laws at work. In my personal experience, I waited for the Tower of Eyes card about one week before I had the chance to set up a Salon, but after that I got it about once or twice a day - so quick that I could not build up all the Connected: Bohemians I spent in raising my Scheme: A Salon. Now, after a quick trip to zee and a whole lot of poems in praise of the Duchess, I still have to get it again. Cards just come and go ^^

[li]Losing my notability is going to keep me from revisiting the cavern of the nadir until I am tired of whatever rewards notabiltiy brings. I think I’d done everything I could in the cavern anyway.

[li]Losing my notability is going to keep me from revisiting the cavern of the nadir until I am tired of whatever rewards notabiltiy brings. I think I’d done everything I could in the cavern anyway.[/quote]
[/li][li]The Nadir has nothing to do with it at all, actually. It fades every week for everyone.
[/li]
edited by MidnightVoyager on 8/27/2013

[li]Losing my notability is going to keep me from revisiting the cavern of the nadir until I am tired of whatever rewards notabiltiy brings. I think I’d done everything I could in the cavern anyway.[/quote]
[/li] [li]The Nadir has nothing to do with it at all, actually. It fades every week for everyone.
[/li]
edited by MidnightVoyager on 8/27/2013[/quote]
I was just coming here to correct my post - I only started receiving the notification that irrio/scandal/making waves/notability was decreasing recently so I assumed that those things faded in connection with irrigo. How annoying. :( [li]
edited by Kermitron on 8/27/2013

I concur, this mechanic is quite bothersome. I simply cannot keep up with the decay, and it’s not like I wasn’t cycling over a hundred actions in the game every day, often more.

It would appear I am not the only one having problems.

The frustrating thing is that, having a Salon, there is a lot of grinding for connections and stolen kisses. Then you have to hope that you get the right cards and so far the only use for Notability is to upgrade your profession and possibly get a Surprise Package. [li]

I think, until it has another use, it is not really worth trying to keep up.

[quote=lady ciel ]The frustrating thing is that, having a Salon, there is a lot of grinding for connections and stolen kisses. Then you have to hope that you get the right cards and so far the only use for Notability is to upgrade your profession and possibly get a Surprise Package. [li]

I think, until it has another use, it is not really worth trying to keep up.[/quote][/li][li]
As with a lot of FL functionality, it’s a Work in Progress. Until FBG writes it, the extra functionality will not exist. If people don’t use the mechanic, they may not write it.
[/li][li]
Also, I bet that it will become easier to maintain Notability at above zero once one gets it above 2; I just haven’t succeeded at that yet.[/li][li]
[/li][li]Fortunately, my Connected: Society is both large and fairly easy to replenish (I’m a Shepherd of Souls). That helps though it’s not all you need.

[/li]

By the way, before I waste Connections on it, is it possible to raise Scheme: A Salon above 6? I plan to get it as high as I can and then just leave it reeady for when I’ll be able to apply for a higher-tier Profession.

Yep! One of the visitors requires Scheme: A Salon 12. I don’t know if it can go higher than 12 but I don’t see why not.

My Scheme: An Orphanage is at 14; I can’t imagine Salons have a lower cap. (I’m banking lots for use once Notability becomes useful.)

It’s really eating into my Overgoat fund, that Orphanage.

I haven’t got it that high yet. My Scheme: A Salon is at 6 . I need to raise my connections and get some Stolen Kisses/Favours in High Places to have a chance at getting it higher.

I’m in Mahogany Hall at the moment. Not the best place for raising Society/Bohemian but the Acquaintance Silas the Showman option isn’t showing as impossible and I am trying to track him down and that seems the most likely place.
[li]