Noman Tattoo Steps

So, I wrote out the steps to get noman tattoo! The reason I did this is mostly for my own benefit - I wanted to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and know what I need to do, to make sure I don’t waste a lot of resources and then find out I’m missing a key piece and wasted everything. But maybe it’ll help others too. This is mainly compiled from many other sources, following links from/to: the curious clothier , https://www.reddit.com/r/fallenlondon/comments/bipbfu/weekly_small_questions_thread_20190429/em2e5vq/ , https://community.failbettergames.com/topic23254-noman-tattoo-math.aspx , https://community.failbettergames.com/topic25212-noman-tattoo-prep-getting-down-to-brass-tacks.aspx , https://community.failbettergames.com/topic25418-reminder-prep-list-for-noman-tattoo.aspx, and wiki, and probably other forum threads.

So here’s my best understanding of how Noman Tattoo prep should go. I’ve also included links to wiki pages and threads with details, because I’ve just spent a while digging through lots of pages and I appreciated when posters included links.

First, before 12/10, get the required items - accumulate tears of the bazaar, night-whispers, and storm-threnodies (required numbers discussed later.) Get as much BDR as possible and materials for grinding notability. Be associated with a school: Celestials, be a Notary or Doctor, have a consonant violin. Have 7 notability, one Favorable Circumstances, and the slowcake’s amanuensis and the urchins card in hand. Have 1 Skyglass Knife, 1 Pulsating Amber, 3 hard-earned lessons, 3 sudden insights, and Melancholy, Hedonist, Magnanimous, and Forceful at 3.

Sidenotes - ACCUMULATING THESE ITEMS. This can be done over a long time, so here is how I accumulated them or plan to…

[spoiler]I got storm-threnodies by, over the course of a long time, playing the &quotUse the Goat’s… unique talents&quot on the &quotAll fear the overgoat!&quot card, using a sudden insight each time to raise possibility of success. I also got them by upconverting Aeolian Screams to storm-threnodies, using urchins favors. There were many ways of getting Aeolian screams, that happened over time, many listed at https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Aeolian_Scream (and https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Storm-Threnody for Storm-threnodies).

I got night-whispers at the court of the wakeful eye (https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Court_of_the_Wakeful_Eye). This is fairly straightforward - spend echoes to buy Winsome Dispossessed Orphans at the bazaar, trade them for Tribute in the fifth coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers, travel to the Court of the Wakeful Eye, spend all the tribute for night-whispers by spending time with the Minister of Culture. Tribute can be stockpiled as high as needed so this only needs one trip overseas.

I already got my BDR to +30 a while back via https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Bizarre,_Dreaded,Respectable(Guide) and stockpiled a bunch of Visions of the Surface, Incendiary Gossip, Tales of Terror, Zee-stories, and Extraoirdinary implications for notability grinding.

Getting Tears of the Bazaar was the most intentional and long grind. I got them by repeatedly catching a Plated Seal at zee, breeding the Hound of Heaven from the Plated Seal in the 4th coil of the labyrinth of tigers to get Cellars of Wine, Broken Giant, and church favors; I would use the church favors to up-convert broken giant and strangling willow absinthe to more cellars of wine. Then, I would wait for the Slowcake’s Amanuensis card, get to 7 notability, trade it for Favorable Circumstances, using the Favorable Circumstances to draw the Portly Sommelier and trade the cellars of wine for fourth city airag, and then fourth city airag for tears of the bazaar. (The Portly Sommelier card was just too rare to keep waiting for it.)

Getting the skyglass knife, and pulsating amber is easy, buy at the bazaar. I already have hard-earned lessons and sudden insights, those are easy to get.

Getting the quirks isn’t hard - there’s a variety of minor quirk increases on cards - but just need to know the right ones… I already have Magnanimous at 10 from https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/To_make_a_point_of_treating_them_well (which I’ll have to stop playing to get some Hedonist) and Melancholy at 15 from a renown grind, I’ll get some Hedonist from a few polite invitations (concentrate on the food, and dance with the delightful young thing) and from an entanglement with an old friend, Forceful from bringing the revolution, I suppose. [/spoiler]

12/10: Begin collecting the free pails of so-called snow - one each time you’re snowed in, plus advent calendar!

Begin converting Storm-Threnodies and Night-Whispers to Pails using the urchins. Whenever you draw the Urchins card, buy a pail of snow with 7 storm-threnodies and a night-whisper. Use favorable circumstances to re-draw that card when you can, trading in 7 notability for favorable circumstances as often as possible, spending actions to grind for notability.

Get to 15 Taste of Lacre the following way:

1. Use the semiotic monocle on the pails to get as high as you can. If you start with 0 Taste of Lacre, the best you can do us use 2 pails to get to 6 ToL; once you have 6 or more, that option is no longer available. If you start from a bit left over from last season, or from the Advent calendar if it gives any ToL, you can possibly get to 8 by using the semiotic monocle on the pail when you have 5.
  2. Get to 10 Taste of Lacre by using Tears of the Bazaar.
  3. Get to 15 Taste of Lacre by choosing the right options on each of the 12 Days of Mr Sacks: days 2, 5, 8, 11, 12. (I’m probably actually gonna skip day 5 - I’m associated with the Mycogenes and not Celestials, and my persuasive is overcapped, so I’ll have to get one more ToL from tears…)

On other days of mr sacks, make sure to take the options that give pails if possible.

A few days before 1/31: Go down to the Sundered Sea and obtain the Noman using 15 ToL, some quirks at 3, second chances, and items.

When to do this is a tradeoff between two factors. If you do it late enough, you might have your noman avoid one visit of Time The Healer; the fewer times Time visits between Noman creation and Tattooing the better. On the other hand, the earlier you do it, the more time you have to increase Noman’s Friend by spending your pails before they melt. So you want to leave yourself enough time to draw Noman’s Progess as often as you need to spend your hard-grinded resources.

Since my Time the Healer comes on Thursdays right now, it looks like for me the best option is to make the Noman on Thursday January 23rd after my TtH.

Before 1/31: Convert your resources to Noman’s Friend. The process for this is:

1. Examine a pail with a semiotic monocle to get to ToL 3. (Or do it twice for 6).
  2. Warm tears of the bazaar eight (or five) times to get to ToL 11.
  3. Draw the Noman’s Progress card and play &quotHelp me. I beg you.&quot to get Noman’s Friend equal to 3 times the ToL spent. This will reset your ToL to 0.

You have to have at least ToL 1 to use the tears, so you can’t make it on tears alone; you have to have at least 1 pail per tears.

In the past few years, the numbers have been that the BIGGEST POSSIBLE noman loss between creation and tattoo was 520, the average/expected value 380. So you need to get a total of between 280 and 420 NF, so between 94 and 140 ToL total, with each pail giving you 3 and on average each tear giving you 6. So, something like 15 pails/15 tears gives you probably around 135 ToL. 30 pails/10 tears gives you probably 150. 10 pails/18 tears gives you 138. For any of these, you need 7 storm-threnodies and one night-whisper per pail.

This is with pretty strong safety margins, so you could do with a bit less… IF the loss rate does not change. Which we don’t know about. I’m planning to aim for 520 NF if I can get to it.

…so, that’s how I think IroNoman acquisition works. Am I missing anything? Any places where I’ve done or am planning to do something suboptimal?

I’m pretty sure Tears are just outright worse than Pails these days, since Night-Whispers are easy to get now. I got the tattoo last year with only 25 Pails and no Tears at all, which made grinding a lot faster. Aside from that, no obvious issues!

I have 40+ Night Whispers, 300 Storm Threnodies, and 21 Tears prepared in anticipation. Would that be enough, assuming that nothing changes during Neathmas?

Could someone refresh my memory on the Night-Whispers source?

Could someone refresh my memory on the Night-Whispers source?[/quote]

Buy some ugly urchins, sacrifice them at Zoo for tribute and sail away to those cute tiger creatures across the dark Zee.

Could someone refresh my memory on the Night-Whispers source?[/quote]

Buy some ugly urchins, sacrifice them at Zoo for tribute and sail away to those cute tiger creatures across the dark Zee.[/quote]

Oh, that’s it! Many thanks!

Nice work, and good idea putting all of the information together in one place. Not sure if this was part of your collected info or whatnot, but here’s all of the data relating to Noman melt rates that was shared on this forum and the subreddit over the last five years:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRNcOIRmuMaSZQ0wgDB7xvmPZjhEhMlQSv6bhSDQIQbAL4V9A92l7h35Hzcgj35PrR2SGZDaBn8neXh/pubhtml#

~~
edited by idyl on 12/21/2020

Other comments:

[quote=The Curious Watcher]I have 40+ Night Whispers, 300 Storm Threnodies, and 21 Tears prepared in anticipation. Would that be enough, assuming that nothing changes during Neathmas?[/quote]Assuming you’re not just joking: yes, that’s clearly enough. You have enough supplies to get 40+ Pails, which is near the edge of being slightly improbable since you have to draw the Urchins card that many times. But just saying you did, that’s 360 points of Noman’s Friend. Your Tears are worth ~378 NF. Together with your starting 100, that’s ~838 NF total. Nearly twice the maximum required in any scenario.

If you made you Noman on the very first day possible and then hit the absolute maximum melt each week during TtH, at least six weeks in a row, you’d still have nearly 400 NF left over. So, yeah.

[quote=Optimatum] I’m pretty sure Tears are just outright worse than Pails these days, since Night-Whispers are easy to get now. I got the tattoo last year with only 25 Pails and no Tears at all, which made grinding a lot faster. Aside from that, no obvious issues![/quote]I agree with this sentiment. Tears are worse in almost every aspect now that it’s so easy to grind Night-Whispers. The only real downfall I can think of is that you have to draw the Urchins card for each Pail (aside from the Advent Calender, Mr Sacks, etc.).

Since I’m a fan of being prepared in all cases, I’d still grind a few Tears and focus mainly on using Pails. This would also enable you to use fewer draws of the Noman’s Progress card, meaning you can create the Noman slightly later, therefor requiring fewer supplies in total. My personal advice for people going for the tattoo is to have 2x-4x as many Pails as Tears. Obviously if you don’t have them by now, it’s probably a little too late to grind them though.

It’s not a joke. Outside of collecting Echoes and scrap, the only major goal I have is to get a Noman’s tattoo so I grinded for months in order to collect that many. I also realized that even with high BDR, it would be difficult to get that many Urchin cards, but I digress.

I already have two tattoos, and I am assuming that the Noman tattoo can be an optional third?

The Noman tattoo is separate from the two main tattoo qualities, yes. I think it’s even possible to get it multiple times.

[quote=idyl]The only real downfall I can think of is that you have to draw the Urchins card for each Pail (aside from the Advent Calender, Mr Sacks, etc.).[/quote]Those can be &quotgrinded&quot with Favourable Circumstances which require 7 Notability.

Amalgamate thank you so much for this guide! It’s been my bible as I’ve been prepping for the Noman Tattoo.

TtH just hit for me so I’m off my with 30 pails and 14 Tears to make my Noman!

Gl! I used the flash lays card refresh tactic to draw the Noman cards often enough.

So, now that pretty much everyone who goes for the Tattoo this year got their Noman, do we have an idea what week the Feast might kick in? I take it that the Tattoo Parlor appears during the 2nd week of the Feast. And if so, it should with almost complete certainty become available before the end of February, is that right?

[quote=Aardvark]So, now that pretty much everyone who goes for the Tattoo this year got their Noman, do we have an idea what week the Feast might kick in? I take it that the Tattoo Parlor appears during the 2nd week of the Feast. And if so, it should with almost complete certainty become available before the end of February, is that right?[/quote]Feast starts on the 6th according to that [REDACTED] poster that was shared by FBG. Which means Lilac most likely on the 13th.

Edited: Here’s the announcement, on the bottom: https://twitter.com/failbettergames/status/1221558689880072193

edited by idyl on 1/31/2020