Noman Husbandry

Pretty sure that there were people last year who gave everything to keep it alive, and the way the noman chews through quirks I would be very surprised if some of them weren’t down to just grinding subtlety or forcefulness to feed it.

A lot of people didn’t have any taste or pails left, let alone tears. The other thing is that having none doesn’t mean that it was all spent on the Noman - it could have been splurged on walking by the shore, say, so rewarding people for having nothing wouldn’t necessarily send the right message.

I know we have one person with Hesperidean Cider on the forums - I’m sure Fail Better didn’t put a special effect in for giving the Noman Hesperidean Cider, but maybe they should/can you confirm no benefit from this.

Here is the pro-est strategy for keeping a noman alive until FoTER:

Warning spoilers and game mechanics exploitation

Step 1. Get 15 ptpt lacre.
Step 2. Go to the Wicket.
Step 3. Stay in the Wicket and touch nothing… for like a month.
Step 4. Since the wicket is inside a storylet and nothing specifically kicks you out of it, you can stay there until the end of FoTER (or longer!).
Step 5. Make your Noman on the day that it is needed for FoTER. Congrats, you have successfully avoided any melting at all.

I got this idea while worrying that the Wicket might unexpectedly close while I have an epic stare down with time the healer attempting to minimize melting by making the Noman at the last second possible. (Its not at 15 ptpt cost yet so I am going to continue to wait.)
edited by NiteBrite on 1/15/2015

Watch Failbetter remove that option on the storylet to foil your plans. On a related note - could you also do the same with the Noman card?

[spoiler]I don’t see why not.

I know way too much about the inner workings of storynexus for my own good :v[/spoiler]

I thought so. I was wondering how one could reliably get a Noman to the end of the Feast, and that was the main strategy that came to mind.

[spoiler]Sitting in the card is risky however. Menace musts will kick you out of stories on log-in. Like, if you have suspicion 8 and you log-out then log-in again you will trigger new newgate even if you were in a storylet before. So you will want to be actively on when TTH hits if you attempt that.

Also consider that TTH will eventually melt you buckets, which could catch you off guard.[/spoiler]

Huh, I never knew that. So the way to manage that would be to remain logged in the whole time unless you stockpiled enough snow for each week (riskily assuming it melts as late into the season as it did last year).

edited by Sara Hysaro on 1/15/2015

Oh man, the noman price is going up, its been +2 taste/day for the last two days and is at 9 now. Its the end times for noman creation. Now I just gotta hope the wicket is open still when TTH hits me in like five/six days. The absolute worst thing would be if I wait too long and miss it, but tth is likely to take as much as 50 noman’s friend a week at this point. So I have to risk it. Aaaaa epic tth stare down engage

If people are still looking for quirks farms, if you want to make all your friends and acquaintances happy, the social action that heals other people builds magnanimous.

Is the Noman card becoming less frequent or am I becoming paranoid?

[quote=Rupho Schartenhauer]Is the Noman card becoming less frequent or am I becoming paranoid?[/quote]Still says Abundant frequency on mine, but yeah, sometimes it can take a couple of hours before it shows up again.

I’ve seen it range between 3-20 per day. It’s safe to assume about 5 per day minimum, though.

Are there any statistics available on how many people gained and Ended their Nomen both years? Who was the quickest and who was the slowest would also be interesting to know.[li]

Cost is now up to 12 taste. I was an inattentive idiot and forgot that the monocle option on pails couldn’t raise the quality past 6. I’m at 10 Taste. Have I got any hope of raising it further? Honestly I forgot how this all works since last year…

I think you need to feed it to the boar to get it higher, for that you need a Dreaded Surmise. I’m not sure if there is a cap on huffing tears but that might be a possibility as well.

The wiki says that the cap on huffing tears is 11. So you can get there from 10, but you have to get lucky/unlucky, lose the tear and get the +2, rather than the +1. The odds aren’t that good.

Is there a point to getting Noman Knows beyond 15? And, do you get the same results from prematurely ending its life as for waiting for it to die?

I did a silly thing and gave all my PTPT to my Noman entirely too early. I have no pails. Is there any way for me to get 1 point of PTPT now so I can go back to cheerfully huffing on my Tears?

I think the only ways to get the first point are through pails or Mr. Sacks, so.