Noman Husbandry

So, does anyone know if anyone is going to try and get their Noman to live through to the end of the festival this year?

For the uninitiated,

the cost of the noman goes up every week. Once you have purchased one, it starts out with 100 Noman’s Friend. This decays each week by a highly variable amount, that increases considerably once the wicket closes. When it reaches 0, the noman melts. Without aid, the noman will normally die within two to three weeks. The decay can be offset by giving the Noman the taste of lacre, pails of snow, or tears of the bazaar. The only farmable one of those items are tears of the bazaar, and I very much doubt anyone has enough pails or taste to keep the noman alive long enough with just those items.

If you turn cards semi-regularly, you should have no problem feeding a noman with your quirks until it pops out some lore and an elemental secret (312.5 eachoes), without having to spend a tear, pail, or taste.

At the end of the Feast of the Exceptional Rose (in February), there was an option to get a tattoo. If you had a living noman, you could get a noman tattoo, and some lore. I don’t believe anyone who contributes to the forums or IRQ managed to get a noman to live long enough to learn the lore. From what I dimly recall from last year, I’d estimate that you’d need about 16-20 tears of the bazaar to get a noman to live that long (5000 - 6250 echoes’ worth). This estimate may be wildly inaccurate.

I have 27 tears at the moment, so unless I’m particularly unlucky, or the decay ramps up considerably over the feast, I should be able to keep the noman alive long enough. The thing is, I don’t want a noman tattoo, so is there anyone else who is willing to do it and has the materials?
edited by RandomWalker on 1/6/2015

[quote=RandomWalker]
I have 27 tears at the moment[/quote]

… how? I’ve been grabbing Airag from the nadir for ages, and have three tears. THREE.
(I sold a couple while they were still easy to get from the Nadir, and have constant REGRET.)

If I recall correctly, (and I have no idea where in heck I got this info from, who even knows) precisely 2 players still had a living noman when lilac showed up, and had the opportunity to discuss it with her/get a tattoo of one. (Presumably they managed this with Zee shenanigans.)

However neither of them(whoever they might have been) chose the options, presumably either choosing other ones, or simply not logging in for the duration.

Perhaps this year someone will manage it.

There’s a fate locked expedition that has a semi-decent chance of giving you tears. I spent a portion of last year farming them, until I got fed up with the RNG at the Mutton Island Festival and quit for a while.

[quote=babelfishwars][quote=RandomWalker]
I have 27 tears at the moment[/quote]

… how? I’ve been grabbing Airag from the nadir for ages, and have three tears. THREE.
(I sold a couple while they were still easy to get from the Nadir, and have constant REGRET.)[/quote]

There’s more ways to get Airag than the Nadir. I’ve got up to two Tears (one now, thanks to Lacre lore) flipping cards for a certain sommelier. There’s also expeditions which don’t cause you to lose part of yourself every time you go, but I suppose those wouldn’t be especially regular either.

I haven’t got enough Tears or Pails to keep a Noman alive that long and actually don’t think I am going to get one this year. Though I might with an alt, but they don’t have enough resources to keep it alive for more than a few weeks anyway, but it might be interesting to see if there are any differences this year.

Seeing that I have no Tears and only 2 Pails…probably not even worth it for me to try. Which sucks, because I have pretty much anything else I wanted out of the Wicket and quite a bit of Taste to spare.

I have six pails, twelve taste, and I think one Tears which I am unwilling to sacrifice at this time.

Details on Tears farming would be appreciated, as I may make a concerted effort this year to acquire some. (May. I shall also be purchasing my first goat shortly, and I may feel the need to uber it… and the best way I know to do that is serious grinding offshores.)

With the changes to quirks and the value of them, feeding the norman looks a little harder this year. What we have is more valuable, harder to replace, and there’s a desire to hold onto it just that much stronger.

Course, you can get all the way down under 4, and twiddle back and forth between 3 and 4 on quirks with the easy cards that cap at 4. So as long as you are willing to give up on what was so carefully saved there’s no reason that you can’t grow your norman as inexpensively as before.

Still, I am teaching my norman what it is to exist, and the norman is teaching me what it is to be a link in the chain.

Does anyone know how quickly the lacre cost of making the noman goes up? My rollover is soon so I’m trying to decide whether to make him now or wait until thursday afternoon, but I’d rather do it now if even 2 days from now will raise his lacre cost to 4 or more.

I think it either goes up every few days, or every time the healer comes by.

I believe it goes up once a week, so the 13th and 20th would be likely dates for increases. Not sure about the 27th. I think Penstock’s Wicket will be closed by then.

I might try–I’ve got 8 taste, 5 tears, and 11 pails of lacre. But I finally managed an Ubergoat since the last Feast, and he might be more worthy of being immortalized in tattoo form than a Noman…

Does anyone know when the Wicket will open? I thought it had opened by January 6 last year…

It’s open right now.

You can’t really ‘farm’ them, but you can convert wines items (which you can farm via &quotYour crowd of admirers&quot in Veilgarden) all the way up to cellars of wine and, then wait for the portly sommelier card and trade them for airags->tears.

It’s horribly slow, 'cause that card is rarer than hens teeth.

Otherwise, it’s expeditions, and more RNG.

Also, the conversion of booze into various bodily fluids (wine->milk*->tears->blood) has some disturbing potential. Suffice to say, neither of my drunkards will actually be drinking anything that isn’t made of good, honest mushrooms. Or maybe the absinthe, though who knows what’s in that. And the stuff my aunt makes can be good too, when it works…

*a thing I would never have known about if not for Fallen London:

edited by yetanotherone on 1/7/2015

Then I’ve forgotten how to access it (or can’t access it because I have all the high-level properties already?). I thought you accessed it through a storylet in your Lodgings.

It’s a Universal Storylet, so it’s available anywhere in London. Look for one up near the top labeled Penstock’s Wicket.

You need to have completed Mr. Sacks Day 12 to see it thouh.

Then I’ve forgotten how to access it (or can’t access it because I have all the high-level properties already?). I thought you accessed it through a storylet in your Lodgings.[/quote]

I think my husband, who plays as esrtweet, has the right answer; you need to have completed the 12 days of Sacks before you can &quotsee&quot the Wicket storylets. Sadly, I’m only on 9 or so.