New Legacies - what do you think?

[color=#0066ff]Here’s a preview of the new legacies options which are due to go into game with the next release.

This should make it easier to raise cash in the early game, among other things.

What do you think? :)[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Edit: blue-ing.[/color]
edited by h4nchan on 11/25/2014

Hmmm… the Correspondent option to inherit their charts suffers from the same problems as the present chart-inheriting options - that it removes a source of experience, as well as changing the progression of the game in a way that the other inheritances don’t. It doesn’t feel equal to the other options, you know? It’d dissuade me from using it even if I wanted to boost Pages. I feel like chart-inheritance should be another, separate option, like having an Ironclad Will - entrusting one’s documents to the University’s collection, say.

Other than that… I’m sure you’ve all thought about this a million times over, but for the sake of diversity, might a Pupil inherit a percentage of their mentor’s Fragments instead of their Echoes?

Final question: do Legacy Qualities accumulate across successive games, or are they expended upon use? Or a mix of the two?

These few quips and quibbles aside, I do like the look of it all very much - it’s pretty as hell, as game systems go, and looks like fun to use!

Sounds great! Tho why I see this on reddit first than here? xD

[color=#0066ff]Thanks Fred. You’ve hit upon the subject of much discussion with your points about charts. I’ve mentioned it to the team and further discussion ensues![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]A Ironclad Will and Scion need to be acquired again, but the others accumulate.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Glad to hear that it looks good to you. We’re hopeful that it’ll make the replay experience more fun![/color]

Looks interesting, I am really looking forward to finding out about the Boke of Sharp and the other items as I love having the Horizon Codex as Pages is the most difficult stat to raise.

I must say that the choices seem a bit unbalanced and I would probably always pick one of the options that give money. At the moment uncovering the chart and recruiting officers are things I enjoy doing so I don’t see any benefit to having them as a legacy - things might change as the game develops though

Interesting. I think it will be good, though my opinion is entirely hypothetical, since only one of my handful of characters would even have qualified for the lower boundary of where it kicks in.

Am I correct in thinking your desired skill would have to be over 60 to affect the starting stat, and if lower there would be no change?

I completely agree with Frederick on the chart. I haven’t picked the option since I realised it actively penalised you in your new game. I would consider that an option to avoid at all costs.

I think &quoteasier to raise cash in the early game&quot is a bit of a misnomer. I don’t think anyone’s been complaining about it being hard to replay from a high level character with legacies and a preserved skill. Every time I’ve mentioned the early game it’s been the first playthrough I’ve been frustrated with. And since I haven’t got high enough up to ladder meaningfully, I haven’t been able to break out of it. Unlike Fallen London, the barrier to entry of this game is huge.

I will put my money where my mouth is and start a new playthrough, though. I realise it’s all a question of balance, and it may have rebalanced by now.
edited by Kirr on 11/25/2014

This looks great, although the Salvager option combined with my Captain’s enormous fortune might make the beginning of my next game a bit, shall we say, lopsided.

edited by Owen Wulf on 11/25/2014

We need a wiki! What is a Horizon Codex, and where might one obtain same?

Never mind; should have visited the link first. And I guess at some point I am going to have to stop playing the same game I have been running since Day 1 and try from scratch again :-).

[li]I know this may seem small, but… might &quotson&quot or &quotdaughter&quot or &quotward&quot be an option? Prior to the incorporation of an actual game mechanic, my current character’s &quotstory&quot started with first character, then his son, then his son’s pupil, and then his pupil’s illegitimate daughter, etc. I do this because I feel like Failbetter character need these kinds of elaborate stories. I really like that I can select pupil or rival as an option, but what about offspring or child? Is there something like that in the works?

Or at the very least, relative?

Also, option to inherit the ship? (Assuming it didn’t sink.) I can see why you guys don’t want to go that route but of all the things I could inherit: stats, chart, money…it’s the ship I’d like to pass on most of the time.
edited by Nenjin on 11/25/2014

[quote=Nenjin]Or at the very least, relative?

Also, option to inherit the ship? (Assuming it didn’t sink.) I can see why you guys don’t want to go that route but of all the things I could inherit: stats, chart, money…it’s the ship I’d like to pass on most of the time.
edited by Nenjin on 11/25/2014[/quote]

Inheriting the ship is the obvious exciting choice – would be interesting if there were a way to balance it… perhaps the player forgoes stats, wealth, etc. Even then I don’t know that it could feasibly be balanced (though you have a point that the ship would have to survive, and therefore might be more feasible as an option sometimes). Honestly I don’t know.
But I do like the idea of selecting whether or not you’re a relative of the previous player. Might add some interesting flavor or options or even a few future storylets…

[li]

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]Thanks Fred. You’ve hit upon the subject of much discussion with your points about charts. I’ve mentioned it to the team and further discussion ensues![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]A Ironclad Will and Scion need to be acquired again, but the others accumulate.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Glad to hear that it looks good to you. We’re hopeful that it’ll make the replay experience more fun![/color][/quote]
Perhaps it could be made so that the chart is clear, but none of the names are on it? Everything is technically &quotundiscovered&quot even though it is all in the same place and on your map? or perhaps it can just not reshuffle and you do have to rediscover everything through the fog, but it’s all in the same place if you remember it.

You could just give chart captains the requisite amount of secrets.

That’s on the order of like 20 or 30 secrets at game start. Might be a little broken.

More than thousands of echoes, a top tier weapon, a quest locked officer, or any other option? It’s not as if their going to be getting any secrets from exploration for a long time. In addition, the stat linked to this option is pages, which would be less useful under this arrangement than any other stat. In addition, it makes sense thematically for a correspondent.

I think the other way to solve this is to allow players to stockpile their money in London in their warehouse, and forego being able to use it on the open sea.

Also, I maintain that the biggest barrier to the early game is that the content density of London and it’s adjacent islands isn’t higher than the rest of the sea.

The content density in London, on Mutton Island, Hunters Keep, and other near-London islands really needs to be 4 to 5 times higher than in the rest of the sea.

Could you keep a timeline-like recording of your captains? Sort of a type of family tree, I guess. I think that would be really great.

A record of past captains would be pretty keen! “Tobias Fulchard, Natural Philosopher/Priest/Former Urchin and captain of the Regrettable, lost at zee/retired/perished in Dorset. His/their/his lordship’s possessions, including a Zeeside Mansion, a collection of 8 Heirlooms, and a Leadbeater & Stainrod “Whoops” Custard-Cannon, were collected by his rival, Cecil Palmer.” Or, you know, something like that.