New Festival: Election

[color=#cc0099]Delicious friends, the time has come: Election begins today! [/color]
[color=#cc0099]
“A hustings has been erected in Hastings Square. Banners festoon the lamplit streets. A Sable-liveried civil servant from the Ministry of Public Decency bellows an announcement.”[/color]

[color=#cc0099]
You are invited to participate in the city’s first official Election. [/color]
[color=#cc0099]
The Election is free and is open to all players. It will begin today, Monday 4th July and end on the 18th July. Halfway through, we’ll announce which candidate is in the lead.[/color]
[color=#cc0099]
Choose a candidate, and campaign! Gather Election Resources, and raise your Election Career Level to increase their support![/color]
[color=#cc0099]Join the electoral efforts now through the &quotAn Election! London Must Decide!&quot storylet, to explore the three candidates up for the 1894 Election: Sinning Jenny, The Bishop of Southwark, and The Jovial Contrarian.[/color]
[color=#cc0099]
The elected Mayor will reign for one year, after which another election will be held. The winning candidate will have a Mayoral influence in your Opportunity Deck until next year’s election, so consider who you support carefully.[/color]
[color=#cc0099]
We cannot wait to see who you will choose, delicious friends…[/color]

Hey folks, the link to this thread on the silver-bordered storylet has an extra . on the end, making it not work.

I am undecided, bribe me now

[color=#e53e00]Fixed. Thank you.[/color]

If anyone’s wondering about the unique items, the one that I picked up was a Reactionary Tomb Colonist, which I believe requires you to support the Jovial Contrarian. He gives +7 Persuasive and +1 Bizarre.

Edit: Since I first picked him up, he’s been changed to +8 Persuasive.
edited by JimmyTMalice on 7/4/2016

[spoiler]ON CAREERS:
Campaigners only need to write Compelling Short Stories to advance (Public Attention and Convincing Rhetoric).
Alternatively, you can gain Public Attention via Talk of the Town, or you can do a Flash Lay.
Recommended if you are a rich, end-game player that wants to progress in the election quickly, since you can burn Favour in High Places to write Short Stories quickly.

Agitators only need to do Flash Lay to advance (Public Attention and Dirty Secrets)
Do Flash Lays, forever. Pretty nice if you are poor. Highly recommended if you are not a PoSI.

Fixers need to do both because they need (Convincing Rhetoric) from Short Stories / Investigation and (Dirty Secrets) from Flash Lay.
Slower progress than the other two, but you gain a better Making Waves-generating option that only use Public Attention, so you gain Notability faster than the other two factions. Recommended for PoSI who isn’t in a hurry.
[b]
ON GIFTS:
You are eligible for a 30 Fate-item for free, once.

[/b]Mutton Island Account: +1 Respectable, +8 Persuasive, +4 Shadowy (50 Fate, Weapon, 2nd Best Persuasive Weapon)
Seven-Times-Exiled Parliamentarian’s Guide to Electioneering: +1 Bizarre, +8 Watchful, +6 Shadowy (40 Fate, Weapon, tied for Best Watchful)

A Redoubtable Dame-Harbinger: +1 Respectable, +8 Watchful (30 Fate + Bishop only, Rat-Squad is better)
An Enfranchised Anchoress: +1 Dreaded, +8 Dangerous (30 Fate + Sinning Jenny only, Rat-Squad is better)
Reactionary Tomb Colonist: +1 Bizarre, +8 Persuasive (30 Fate + Contrarian only, 2nd best Persuasive Pet)

A Polythreme Drinking Vessel: +1 Bizarre, +8 Persuasive (30 Fate, Agitator only, weapon)
A Poisoned Pen: +1 Dreaded, +8 Dangerous (30 Fate, Fixer only, weapon)[b]
Wax-sealed Boots: +5 Watchful (30 Fate, Campaginer only, best Watchful shoes)

[/b]A Venomous Caricaturist: (20 Fate, +6 Watchful, +3 Dangerous, fun intro)
A Pre-Lapsarian Speaking Trumpet: (10 Fate, Weapon, +4 Persuasive, -1 Shadowy, fun intro)[i]

[/i][/spoiler]

Information about all the stats and min-maxing gameplay behind spoilers, so people get a bit more of a choice whether they want to play to optimise or not.

edited by babelfishwars on 7/4/2016
[i]

Edit: Rewritten with a more balanced view and less temper tantrum.
[/i]
edited by Estelle Knoht on 7/9/2016

So my guess is:
Campaigner follows a Persuasive route
Fixer follows a Shadowy route
Agitator follows a Dangerous route
That seems right, right?
edited by scarlettbleustar on 7/4/2016

[quote=scarlettbleustar]So my guess is:
That seems right, right?
edited by scarlettbleustar on 7/4/2016[/quote]

That was my assumption. Now fingers crossed it pans out that way.

Those wax sealed boots give a watchful +5. New best boots.

What’s known about the candidates?

D__n, I wish I’d gone for those now, since I need all the Watchful I can get for Seeking and my Persuasive is already maxed.

It might be helpful if we could get a description underneath the various items showing which stats they increase, as with certain other items, since they’re very difficult to change without Fate.

Sinning Jenny is a member of the Sisterhood of Abbey Rock and a known associate of Mr Wines. She mainly appears in Ambition: Bag a Legend!

The Bishop of Southwark is a vehement campaigner against Hell and very fond of a good bit of Christian shouting. He turns up in the Fourth Coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers and the associated Fate extension, where he’s looking to breed some beasts to hunt down devils.

The Jovial Contrarian seems to stand for whatever view is the opposite of the person he’s speaking to, and he’s connected with the Revolutionaries. He can be found at the ‘A Polite Invitation’ parties and a few other places besides.
edited by JimmyTMalice on 7/4/2016

Well, I got the Poison Pen (Dangerous +8/Dreaded +1), but for whatever reason I can’t equip it. Clicking it in my inventory just refreshes the screen as if it’s about to equip, but doesn’t.

Aye, I am in a similar situation with being unable to equip my pen.

EDIT: I can now equip my pen.
edited by Paflick on 7/4/2016

That one I like (except to unequipable part but that will be fixed, I assume)… Any ideas on how to acquire it?
edited by Barnaby on 7/4/2016

That one I like. Any ideas on how to acquire it?[/quote]
Well if you choose to be a Fixer… (I also chose to support the Jovial Contrarian, but unsure if that affects it)

That one I like. Any ideas on how to acquire it?[/quote]
Well if you choose to be a Fixer… (I also chose to support the Jovial Contrarian, but unsure if that affects it)[/quote]

So, might that be the Dangerous route? That handy pen aside, I wanna choose that one.

[quote=beeawwb][quote=scarlettbleustar]So my guess is:
That seems right, right?

That was my assumption. Now fingers crossed it pans out that way.[/quote]
Campaigners can also gain Convincing Rhetoric by investigations which is good for people with high watchful. I didn’t pick Fixer but if each of them have two qualities that can be used (kind of like with the ambitions) then I reckon it’s:
Campaigner: Persausive and Watchful, Fixer: Shadowy and Watchful, Agitator: Dangerous and Shadowy

Uh, lovely, what a lovely day it is!
Was thinking of choosing between Fixer and Campaigner, but after seeing those boots, I’ll go for Campaigner.
We’ll need information on all the possible items and, if it happens, I hope people can confirm that certain items offer certain options (cards, for example).
Cheers and may the best nutcase win!

[quote=scarlettbleustar][quote=beeawwb][quote=scarlettbleustar]So my guess is:
That seems right, right?

That was my assumption. Now fingers crossed it pans out that way.[/quote]
Campaigners can also gain Convincing Rhetoric by investigations which is good for people with high watchful. I didn’t pick Fixer but if each of them have two qualities that can be used (kind of like with the ambitions) then I reckon it’s:
Campaigner: Persausive and Watchful, Fixer: Shadowy and Watchful, Agitator: Dangerous and Shadowy[/quote]
The odd part with these combinations is getting a Dangerous item as a Fixer, which definitely does seem like a shadowyish occupation

The fixer gets the option of a poison pen - 8 dangerous, +1 dreaded weapon. Nice.
edited by RandomWalker on 7/4/2016