New Event: Gently 'Cross the Zee

They usually sneak in one of these mini events between two of the major events on the calendar.

2 Likes

I just had a trashy Zubmarine and Zeefaring 3 and still managed to squeak through, depending mostly on the watchful check card and a sprinkle of labor.

This one is live again! :boom:
Right after using 20 AP on other things!

2 Likes

Off! Wish I could participate, but alas, 2700 regular research lab project.

Itā€™s not going anywhere, youā€™re not locked in your Lab, you can always blow your ship up two or three times before coming back to it.

6 Likes

ā€¦oh! I, ahā€¦I legit forgot I could go do other things and then come back. Thanks DarkSquirrel

Bhahaha, a lab research is exactly how I used AP before refreshing the page! :smiley:
Time to switch the glasses for the helm!

3 Likes

Once is a suspicious coincidence? Twice? After MANY years of NO exploding ships sighted off the coasts of London?

Yeah, this is definitely an Admiralty plot to smuggle explosives somewhere with plausible deniability.

15 Likes

Hopefull all that zee stuff will be at least somewhat useful on the Roof.

2 Likes

Either that or someone/something is messing with them on purpose.

1 Like

Loving it (again)! This event is a lot of fun! I usually lower the Corsair flag on the outbound leg (to keep Troubled Waters at a minimum), then raise it on the way back. Mostly sticking to the medium load.

However, since we just got the addition of crews, I thought they might, you know, actually be useful at zee, so I got one. Turns out, not so much, really. +4 Dangerous. (And there was much rejoicing. yay.) Thugs like that we should get for a song at Gaiderā€™s Mourn, or for a couple of rounds at the Blind Helmsman. The flavour text for them implies good zeemanship - they actually follow your orders BEFORE you give them! How about +2 Zeefaring, or +1 Zeefaring and a reduction to Troubled Waters instead? Now THAT would be a crew. Something worthy of a Neathy Nelson or Nemo. Maybe that will come later.

But as for the event, three cheers to the Devs!

I did the maximum load on the first try, then failed three times in a row. Maybe I should stick to the medium loads. Assuming it isnā€™t all gone by tomorrow

1 Like

I am running medium loads with pirating. No problems so far, just waste 1 or 2 actions on lowering troubled waters (drownies, crab, london patrol, etc)

1 Like

By succeeding the Dangerous and Watchful checks, and stocking up on Hard-Backed Labor, I have succeeded in the most difficult amount of cargo several tries in a row. Compared to last time, this is a wild success.

3 Likes

I have done the one run at maximum difficulty to see if I could. Turns out, if I pass every single 50% Zeefaring test, I can!
Not doing it again but that was amusing.

3 Likes

Well, I didnā€™t do that again but I still squeezed in a few medium difficulty runs. I really enjoy this one more than the hunts. Not that the hunts (or the whale) werenā€™t fun butā€¦ This one hits different thanks to the final part.

1 Like

But is the reward difference between medium difficulty and maximum worth the Strong-Backed Labor expenditure?

1 Like

Considering Iā€™m far enough in the game to consider the Labor incredibly cheap and easy to come by, Iā€™d say soā€¦ but of course itā€™s relative. I canā€™t precisely recall the exact reward difference but Iā€™m pretty sure you get twice as many Tales of Terror, probably more of other items but itā€™s still just one Salt Steppe Atlas.

1 Like

Right. Just did the maths. Additional rewards: 1 Puzzling Map (12.5 E) + 11 Tales of Terror (5.5 E total) = 18 E

Strong-Backed Labor can be bought for 3.5 E

So as long as you donā€™t lose more than 5 Strong-Backed Labor per run, youā€™re ahead. 6 or more, and you are better off with a medium run.

4 Likes

As far as I understand the best price for stone slaves is around ~2.7E + 0.5 actions. If we value one action for 6E (endgame player), after spending 3 slaves you get merely ~1E of profit compared to medium load. Not worth the risk.
Unless you have a very particular statue, which provides slaves at 0.4 actions cost.

1 Like