New Event: Gently 'Cross the Zee

Perhaps my dream of a Mr Eaten vs Fathomking kaiju battle from Fruits of the Zee will finally be fulfilled.

5 Likes

Iā€™m actually convinced this is all some kind of backroom with the Fathomking deal to bomb the Dawn Machine. They just have to take a very convoluted route for transporting munitions so the agents of the Dawn Machine see nothing awry until the bombs are trawled and sent to their proper destinations. Think about it, last Fruits of the Zee everyone kind of appeased him AND, tellingly, they had a surplus of elite ships to just give away. Including Londonā€™s strongest class of warships, and submarines. Moreover, they have airships now so some sort of joint air/sea bombing run is potentially possible.

After disastrous first contact with the Flukes, the disaster that was the Dawn Machine and the fact that the Presbyterate and Khanate have a massive head start on naval power if I was in charge of Londonā€™s Admiralty Iā€™d be seething enough to assert military dominance any way I could.

9 Likes

Did the medium difficulty one, was lucky with two 40% Zeefaring challenges. Rewards similar to the easy one, maybe a little more in quantity. The highlight is still that one Salt Steppe Atlas given as a reward.

Think Iā€™ll stick to the easy one and do it a few more times.

1 Like

Iā€™m frankly shocked I didnā€™t spontaneously combust immediately after skipping along with explosives full-tilt.

Iā€™m also never doing this again. Throwing explosives into the Zee? Itā€™s certainly not any normal ocean, but by the gods are the Admiralty inconsiderate of local marine life.

3 Likes

Done my first (medium) run. Text is ok, but all this tension is more ironical, than real. A bit disappointed that you travel back and forth for so long and whole event takes 3 actions. Profits are good, especially if you want to visit island of coral and chess for some reason. Compatible with pirating too.

1 Like

The wiki has a note saying the devs have confirmed it only goes to 77.

https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Volatile_Consignments_Delivered_to_the_Remote_Magazine

2 Likes

Also, weā€™re talking about Britain ā€œBritannia rules the wavesā€-i donā€™t know much about history but Iā€™m pretty sure being out classed in navel power of all things would hurt their pride pretty badly.

2 Likes

The Slow Burn of Acid Mystery stings very badly when you insist on keeping your Rusty Tramp Steamer and also want to live on the edge vis-a-vis unexploded ordinanceā€¦

Just to clarify, it was very fun! Just very hard. I Donā€™t have much to say that hasnā€™t been said here, honestly, except to say that I would have enjoyed the option to refuse the admiraltyā€™s orders and do something else with the cargo, maybe at the cost of suspicion. On the other hand, doing that would probably make coding this whole thing more difficult for the employees so maybe itā€™s good they didnā€™t do that. Good event, 710.

5 Likes

Looks like this oneā€™s on pace to finish out later today. Two days and a half, give or take.

Much better than the releases of some of the other Living World Events, which got slammed out in hours. Iā€™m glad FBG learned the lesson that players absolutely would drop everything and rush out to explode themselves over and over. And over.

This event is also much larger than other Living World Events weā€™ve seen. Like a whole extra location with its own deck, several storylets. Iā€™m glad theyā€™re pushing the format, and it makes the fleeting experience seem more special and more memorable.

13 Likes

It also potentially opens up new stories (and sort of hints in that direction with the ā€œjust what is the Admiralty doing with all this ordnanceā€¦? Even if it is down a holeā€ question), or at least provides a new location for new stories, whereas blowing the living heck out of a rogue lifeberg doesnā€™t (as fun as that is). The Admiralty gets up to all sort of shenanigans anyway that hasnā€™t been explored much, that I recall, in FL (as opposed to Sunless Sea, of course) so thereā€™s plenty of opportunity there.

As for the event, I did the extra-difficult version a few times, and never did explode, though did come close at least once. I ended up sticking with the middle option for the most part.

5 Likes

This needs to be tracked as its own quality.

Call me crazy, but Iā€™m more impressed to hear how many times someone willingly blew themselves up than I am to hear how many successful package deliveries they managed over a three day time trial.

On a related note? I have found I do not care for the insurance adjuster snippet.

This is the Neath, where itā€™s entirely plausible to use Red Science shenanigans to give me back my original ship. Or hire a legion of L.B.s to scour the seas for flotsam and rebuild it from scratch.

And considering I sunk fate on naming my Rusty Tramp Steamer? And have kept it at the expense of valuable stats? I dislike the idea of giving it the ā€œSnowball 2ā€ treatment. Itā€™s low-key a second spouse for some players, and ought to be given the respect its owed.

1 Like

I very much want to know what percent of the explosives were delivered and what precent only made part of the journey.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the Salt Steppe Atlases and various other Zee stuff.
Did one medium difficulty, all others easy ones. Didnā€™t dare to try a difficult one.

Rakish raconteur

You ask innocently how she made it through the reef. You know, that reef. ā€˜Waylandā€™s b____y spearsā€™ as your crew took to calling it. She hesitates, then stammers about finding another way around. She was never there, of course.

You take over, tell the crowd of the weaving and the thrutching. The razor-rocks ripping at your hull. That suspended moment after every bump, waiting to see if death was racing after. You also have a hat.

ā€œWell,ā€ says a dour docker, as the crowd finally breaks up. ā€œThatā€™s the end of that, then.ā€

ā€œCā€™mon,ā€ counters a greasy urchin. ā€œYou fink this is the only boat the Admiralty lost? Theyā€™re quaking in their waders.ā€

1 Like

If anyone with Zeefaring 20 or absurd luck succeeded at the most difficult one I would be curious to know what the rewards were!

4 Likes

Check the Wiki, it has the details.

I managed it a few times with Zeefaring 14 and I donā€™t think my luck was absurd (keep MW extremely low on the trip over and then being selective about which cards you play)

Anyway rewards didnā€™t have any new items in comparison to medium, but you got more puzzling maps and tales of terror

4 Likes

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out the connection between MW and volatility.

Then I compared my Kitten-sized Diamond mainā€™s consignments delivered to my Hybrid altā€™s and went ā€œoh.ā€

I check the FL news every weekend, but it seems that it is not enough? As it turns out I have already missed this fun event. (>_<)
I hope the future living world events will last for more than just 3 days.

Iā€™m sorry you missed it! I know the feeling- took a break for a little over a week during the summer and wound up missing the entire Horticultural Show/Starved War T_T.

The thing about events like this recent one is that thereā€™s no specific timer, since the amount of explosives to be picked up was fixed for everyone- each time a player took something, the universal counter went down. As soon as this event popped up everyone jumped on it, hence why it was so short.

5 Likes