New difficulty levels

With the latest patch, it appears that difficulty levels have changed slightly.

Here is what appears to be the new version:

[ul][li]1-10%: almost impossible (+4 CPs, +2 bonus CPs on success)
[/li][li]11-30%: high-risk (+3 CPs, +2 bonus CPs on success)[/li][li]31-40%: tough (+2 CPs, +2 bonus CPs on success)[/li][li]41-50%: very chancy (+1 CP, +2 bonus CPs on success)[/li][li]51-60%: chancy (+1 CP, +2 bonus CPs on success)[/li][li]61-70%: modest (+1 CP, +1 bonus CP on success)[/li][li]71-80%: very modest (+1 CP, +1 bonus CP on success)[/li][li]81-90%: low-risk (+1 CP, +1 bonus CP on success)[/li][li]91-100%: straightforward (+1 CP)[/li][/ul]This is compared with the old version:

[ul][li]10%: almost impossible (+3 CPs, +2 bonus CPs on success)[/li][li]20-30%: high-risk (+3 CPs, +1 bonus CP on success)[/li][li]40-50%: chancy (+2 CPs, +1 bonus CP on success)[/li][li]60-70%: modest (+2 CPs)[/li][li]80-90%: low-risk (+1 CP)[/li][li]100%: straightforward (+1 CP)[/li][/ul]This seems both positive and negative. I like that it got rid of the trap option that was the old low-risk (with the new low-risk more-or-less replacing 70% as the new sweet spot, which seems like an improvement).

On the other hand, as someone against whom the RNG appears to have a personal grudge, I will miss the guaranteed 2 CPs per attempt from Modest.

Edit: Updated for new descriptors
edited by Tesuji on 2/26/2013

Assuming you are correct with values:

Avg cp/action
[li]10%: almost impossible (4,2)[/li][li]20-30%: high-risk (3,4 - 3,6)[/li][li]40%: tough (2,8)[/li][li]50-60%: chancy (2 - 2,2)[/li][li]70-80%: modest (1,7 - 1,8)[/li][li]90%: low-risk (1,9)[/li][li]100%: straightforward (1)[/li]

Basically, by doing low risk instead we lose 0,1 cp, but increase chance of success by 8%, in addition to saving us 0.2 second chances on avg.
This allows us to spend a few actions on high risk as well.
This is, of course, assuming difficulties are still 10% integers something that could change in the future.
edited by Aximillio on 1/29/2013

the main method I was using to grind, educating lyme, used to list the final storylet as a low-risk challenge for my usual Pygmalion quality of 15 I built up before attempting it. Since this change it is now listed as a modest challenge at that level.

I expect it was at 20% chance of failure.
Also, now we can hover over difficulties to see exact difficulties, I expect it’ll be easier to determine them =) (Anyone seen if luck options show these? Would help with the case of the Fidgeting Writer)

Edit: It seems luck challenges are still hidden. Which may be for the best of it, on hindsight…
edited by Aximillio on 1/30/2013

The odds for luck challenges can be found through copious amounts of grinding, and spreadsheets. The law of large numbers ensures that we’ll be able to find the exact odds given enough tries, even if the odds are hidden.

In the case of the Fidgeting Writer, we’ve got literally thousands of attempts recorded down in the Fidgeting Writer thread.
edited by Nagato-01 on 1/31/2013

Not a fan of the latest format change to the way difficulty levels are shown.

I thought the previous way (with the percentage change appearing in the alt text) worked. I find the new version, with its dark box and expanding/contracting text to be garish, obtrusive and distracting.

That dark green box really detracts from the other text. Not good!

[quote=Tesuji]Not a fan of the latest format change to the way difficulty levels are shown.

I thought the previous way (with the percentage change appearing in the alt text) worked. I find the new version, with its dark box and expanding/contracting text to be garish, obtrusive and distracting.[/quote]
It seems that’s their aim these days. Either that, or whoever’s in charge of their aesthetics fallen ill. The clashing orange/purple opportunity card when you have no hand, every menace you’ve ever contracted in the side bar stretching your screen to infinity, the giant blue Storynexus ad shoving their own lore tidbits below the scroll, and now a misplaced box of blackish grey in every storylet. It’s a true shame, and it saddens me.

I’m hoping that the rollover expansion has accessibility benefits that are not obvious to me as someone who uses a standard browser and has good hand mobility.

Because the expanding boxes are rather ungainly.

[quote=Saharan][quote=Tesuji]Not a fan of the latest format change to the way difficulty levels are shown.

I thought the previous way (with the percentage change appearing in the alt text) worked. I find the new version, with its dark box and expanding/contracting text to be garish, obtrusive and distracting… every menace you’ve ever contracted in the side bar stretching your screen to infinity,[/quote].[/quote]

[color=#009900]I can only assume Saharan is reading my mail. I just sent a memo this morning which read: Ensure all new features are garish, obtrusive and distracting. Poison Chief Aesthetics Officer. Optimise for monitors of infinite height.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]

[color=#009900]This is the approach that did best in testing. But as ever, we’ll tune; as ever, I confidently predict that based on previous experience, 85% of the player base will stop noticing in a week, 10% will decide they like it, and 5% will keep on sending me more-in-sorrow-than-in-anger hate mail.[/color]

If you insist. :)

Edit: If, by your own confidant predictions, only 10% of players will think it a positive change, why implement it?
edited by Saharan on 2/6/2013

[color=#009900]Top perk of the job![/color]

The fanbase never forgets! The fanbase never forgives! Fear the Unpleasable fanbase!
Anybody remembers that feature, that allowed us to browse through actions even at zero candles? That was so cool. Those were the days.

can we get echoes for actions back even if it’s just for echoing to journal

• bring back echoing to social networks even if you aren’t allowed to incentivize it any more
  • what that guy up there said
  • give me 300 overgoats

also i don’t really have any issue with the new boxes but they look kinda weird on double-stat challenges (rare though they are) and i managed to make it do a jig once by putting my mouse in the right spot
but i think that applies for almost all storynexus buttons
edited by Spacemarine9 on 2/6/2013

I think I will probably get used to the new boxes in FL, but I think the layout in other SN games needs tweaking - eg. if you open an opportunity card in Doghunt that has more than one option, it’s now really hard to tell at a quick glance where one option ends and the next one begins - they all sort of blur into each other.

If we are making random requests, I would like an undergoat to be friends with my overgoat.

There just seem to be alot of little things that added together detract from the experience.

That feedback button covering valuable information on the left hand side.

Story Nexus Ad on the right pushing down the more interesting Fallen London flavor text.

Garish purple empty deck icon.

Extraneous menaces.

Personally I just mod it, but not something you should expect or really desire people to do.

[quote=Spacemarine9]i managed to make it do a jig once by putting my mouse in the right spot
but i think that applies for almost all storynexus buttons[/quote]

and yes, playing with the button is pretty entertaining :)

[color=#009900]So, seriously, a lot of this shuffling about is in preparation for the tremendous impact which is the incorporation of Fallen London into the main StoryNexus UI. If you’ve seen Melancholia, it’ll be sort of like that. But after that, it’ll be much easier to tidy up everything at once (and roll out our currently embryonic responsive mobile design).[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]The first 10 people to click this link will receive an Undergoat: http://bit.ly/UndergoatAccessCode[/color]

Wow! An Undergoat of my very own! Wait, if my Undergoat meets an Overgoat, will I end up with just a Goat?

oh god it’s a time portal back to the Past

[color=#009900]You end up with the Sixth Goat.[/color]