New difficulty levels

can we breed the sixth goat with a bifurcated owl to create a bifurcated goat
or maybe a starveling goat

also a +10 shadowy goat is rad as hell thx

I hate you, Alexis.

Sir Fred - I expect that if an undergoat meets an overgoat, baby goats may be the result.

The Starveling Goat!
The Starveling Goat!
Indistinguishable from a regular goat!

add “overgoat herder” as a profession, gives weekly reward of baby goat that you can feed souls and secrets to turn into an overgoat

alexis please add all of my suggestions into bideo game to achieve greatness
i can bribe you in rats. the rats need never stop. thousands of dead rats. london’s postmen must be really weirded out by your letterbox, which at one point contained seven thousand one hundred dead rats. if the boxed cats didn’t get them
edited by Spacemarine9 on 2/6/2013

[color=#009900]I’d love to, but you’d sue us, innit[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]trufact from the Failbetter archives that I may have mentioned before. The Overgoat was conceived when I made a typo back in 2009 while entering a certain early-stage clothing item in the database.
[/color]

Hmph, what is it with Londoners and goats? I’d like more cat pets! A Starveling kitty, maybe?
Also, a more complex Pass the Cat game.
edited by Fhoenix on 2/6/2013

[quote=Alexis Kennedy]

[color=#009900]I’d love to, but you’d sue us, innit[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color][/quote]

goddammit you read me like a book. or a storynexus-approved-create-your-own-world-video-game, if you prefer.

not going to stop the rats though

In light of this revelation, I demand an overcoat for my overgoat.

Also, an evil chicken would not go amiss.

There’s already a Grubby Kitten, and you can introduce her to any Starveling Cats you have. Speaking of, what’s with the -3 Persuasive on the Starveling Cats? Were they intended to be equippable Companions once upon a time?

One False-Summer, a Moloch Street fish stall started advertising Battered Overgoat alongside the usual staples of rubbery lumps and chips. On the seventh night, the stall was found to have been replaced by a burly Slavic newspaper-seller who claimed to speak no English. The subsequent spike in reported Drownie attacks is surely a coincidence, as is the emergence among local urchins of the legend of the “Voice in the Coalhouse.”
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 2/6/2013

Remember when this topic was about difficulty levels? I don’t!

i much prefer goatcoat chat rather than ui design chat anyway

i just hope the FL storynexus integration doesn’t end up making me die out of fear of change, though. That would be grisly.

[color=#009900]It’s a gag. The Cat is not even useless.[/color]

[quote=Saharan]
There’s already a Grubby Kitten, and you can introduce her to any Starveling Cats you have. Speaking of, what’s with the -3 Persuasive on the Starveling Cats? Were they intended to be equippable Companions once upon a time?[/quote]
Oh, I know about her. She is adorable. Still. Want more cats. Something like the recent Raven thing maybe.
I would think, you were supposed to lose 3 Persuasive just from having him.

What indeed?

unless you mean there is some other, hidden use for a cat besides getting your hands clawed and your soul stained, i mean

If we’re imagining new items, I just want to point out that, while I love my pets, at this moment, I have 14 of the blighters - while I only have 3 pairs of gloves, all bought from the Bazaar, even though Neathy gloves can also be living creatures.

He makes for fun poetry/distinct PR slogans.

I would also like to point out that my inventory does not even have any semblance of being ordered by rows any more.
maybe we should just make a new thread “Yell Things At Alexis And Use Rats As A Means Of Bribery” is a nice snappy title, I think.
Otherwise he’ll probably put on his an emptiness jumper and edit all our posts to say “i love ui. i love box”

[quote=Tesuji]Not a fan of the latest format change to the way difficulty levels are shown.

I thought the previous way (with the percentage change appearing in the alt text) worked. I find the new version, with its dark box and expanding/contracting text to be garish, obtrusive and distracting.[/quote]

I agree with you about the aesthetics. My guess is that FBG wants to try to eliminate surprises for people when they choose a particular storylet, so they want to make the odds label as conspicuous as possible, even if doing so makes the graphics a bit ugly.

… which is kind of where the concern is coming from.

I like Fallen London’s aesthetics. It’s one of the things that originally grabbed me, and one of the reasons I keep playing. In contrast, I haven’t really cared for the look of the few SN games I’ve tried. Despite having contributed to the Kickstarter, I don’t think I’ve played more than five minutes of The Silver Tree, because I found the UI unappealing.

That’s okay; not every game has to be for everyone. Still, I’d prefer not to see the game whose looks I enjoy become something else.

I can understand the need for tradeoffs. I’m still not particularly fond of the orange bar on the top of the screen, for example, but I understand that it has value in connecting games together and advertising SN. The purple and gold opportunity card placeholder is truly hideous, but it serves as an advertisement for people to buy Nex.

This, however, adds no new functionality. Since it’s only real impact is to change the aesthetics of the game, I think it’s worthwhile to let you know when that’s really not working for some portion of your playerbase.

My first response to seeing the text lurch up and down the screen as I moved my mouse wasn’t “What an improvement!” but “I’m having a flashback to early Geocities/MySpace pages”, which I can’t imagine was the look you were going for.

If switching over to storynexus-style things means we get more content faster then im all for it

but if the opportunity deck mechanics change or something i will be p. incensed about the whole deal
also jumping on the “backed silver tree, played it like twice” boat