Mysteries Discussion

Now that we are closing mysteries for good, and awarding the fate, would any of you like to discuss our answers? I will edit this post with possible answers as they are proposed, and we can argue and debate and have a jolly good time-If our dear Alexis so allows.[li]

I’d be keen to see how opinions differ (or not) from the “popular” answers you get when you hit “see what someone else thinks”. I’m pretty sure some of those are wrong.

[li]
Indeed. Clearly it was the Space Core who constructed the Clay men, of Portal 2 fame!
And to think that some people believe there to be so few Masters. We can assure you that there are, in fact, 9000.5 Masters. Mr Eaten, unfortunate soul that he is, counts only for a half these days.

Based on the enigma content (or rather, the clues leading towards it), I’ve decided to improve my answer for “who brought the tiger to the labyrinth”. I think it should be an individual, not a society. Any concurrence?

Well… Hypothetically, I did look up the nonexistent map. I found the meaning of Panopticism seemed to center around round things. One of the hints was Marco Polo. Marco Polo influenced cartography, leading to the creation of the Fra Mauro map. The Fra Mauro map was round… and had the odd feature of having North and South reversed. (Mirrored?)

Could the Fra Mauro map be the fictional map in question? It could make the answer &quotMarco Polo.&quot

The person I’m thinking of was an historical figure who did in fact have to do with the zoo, and was alluded to slightly more directly than that. Alexis sort of mentioned him, in a way. I think.

I WAS one of the people overthinking the hell out of enigma, so… well, you know.

@Guy Scrum, I was slowly coming to the same idea. A certain founder of cities (well, at least 1)?

Yes, that’s the idea.

…I don’t suppose anyone could clue me in to whatever you’re all alluding to here? Cryptohistorical Zoology isn’t my best subject.

Seconded, what are you all talking about? :p

PMs sent.

Founder of cities with something to do with a zoo…? I think the “popular” answer ended up being what they are because someone posting his/her answer on a page, and a number of people ended up copying them all wholesale without trying to figure them out.

Of course, figuring them out ourselves requires a high level of familiarity with the lore, and access to most of the available content. Me? I’m one of the people who just copies the “popular answer”, since well, I’ve never seen the tiger.

The founder of a modern city was also the principal founder of the first modern zoological society. And he’s explicitly named in the lore. And he shares his name with the archetypal gentleman-thief and cricketer. And there are loads of restaurants named after him. And a giant corpse flower, but not the largest and most famous giant corpse flower. But not the competition where you get a ticket and a chance at winning a hamper of meat or something - you know, the kind they run as a fundraiser for the church hall roof or whatever.

I must admit that I had never heard of the gentleman before this week-end, where I went on a wild hunt for a certain map…

[quote=Lumyire]Founder of cities with something to do with a zoo…? I think the &quotpopular&quot answer ended up being what they are because someone posting his/her answer on a page, and a number of people ended up copying them all wholesale without trying to figure them out.

Of course, figuring them out ourselves requires a high level of familiarity with the lore, and access to most of the available content. Me? I’m one of the people who just copies the &quotpopular answer&quot, since well, I’ve never seen the tiger.[/quote]

[li]
In case it wasn’t clear, we just made up our answers in the hopes that some poor, gullible soul discovered them as their &quotwhat do other people say&quot answer and used them.

Basically, we are attempting to vindicate your efforts. No need to thank us. Just doing our job.

I was with you until the last sentence. Is this one of those cases where I need to be British to know what you’re talking about? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a meat raffle in the States…

Heh, yeah, kind of. And apparently here in Australia too, but I admit, being a vegetarian, I don’t have a huge deal of first-hand knowledge of the matter - most of the raffles I’ve had a ticket in have been for Christmas hampers. And most of the Raffles I’ve been in have been… well, never mind.

[quote=Guy Scrum]
I was with you until the last sentence. Is this one of those cases where I need to be British to know what you’re talking about? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a meat raffle in the States…[/quote]

[li]
[color=#ff9900]I’m British and live in a village with some pretty esoteric customs* but I feel I should make clear that meat raffles are not normal. They are not, like, a thing we do. If you come to Britain and ask for directions to the nearest meat raffle, you will at best get funny looks and may end up in prison. You have been warned.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]* Including competitive duck racing, Morris Dancers and an invisible rat on a string all colluding in what I would describe as a semi-legal extortion racket[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]

[color=#009900]You should move to London, Gardiner. We got all the meat raffles.[/color]

[quote=Chris Gardiner][quote=Guy Scrum]
I was with you until the last sentence. Is this one of those cases where I need to be British to know what you’re talking about? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a meat raffle in the States…[/quote]

[li]
[color=#ff9900]I’m British and live in a village with some pretty esoteric customs* but I feel I should make clear that meat raffles are not normal. They are not, like, a thing we do. If you come to Britain and ask for directions to the nearest meat raffle, you will at best get funny looks and may end up in prison. You have been warned.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]* Including competitive duck racing, Morris Dancers and an invisible rat on a string all colluding in what I would describe as a semi-legal extortion racket[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color][/quote]

[/li][li]