Mysteries Discussion

[color=#ff9900]People who go to London don’t come back. Neatly solving the mystery of where the meat for the raffles comes from.[/color]

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]We got all the meat raffles.[/color]
[/quote]

Aha! I’ve got it!

Tut, tut, Alexis, I can’t believe you’ve forgotten the first rule about Meat Club.

I guess it’s a matter of generation. It’s been quite a while since I’ve been asked to buy a ticket for some lottery where prices included a basket full of fine wines and cheeses and foie gras (you will guess that I’m not British either). Kids nowadays, all they want are Noman or Lacre-Cristal-Display whatnots…

Honestly, don’t copy the Most Popular Answer for the Mysteries. I can say with some certainty that the one about the Clay Men is just plain wrong.

I’m curious what answers people are submitting for the number of Masters. The problem of duplicate identities keeps tripping me up - I know of at least one Master who plays multiple roles, but I’m unsure whether, e.g., Mr. Chimes is a unique Master or not. He seems a likely candidate for duplication, but I haven’t seen anything in the lore to suggest which master he overlaps, if any.

Also, is there a consensus as to whether Mr. Eaten still counts as one of the Masters?

Edited to add: my current speculation on the roster is:

Probable Masters:
Mr. Pages
Mr. Wines
Mr. Spices
Mr. Veils
Mr. Iron
Mr. Fires
Mr. Hearts
Mr. Stones
Mr. Cups
Mr. Apples

Possible Masters:
Mr. Chimes
Mr. Eaten

Unlikely Masters:
Mr. Sacks
Mr. Mirrors

edited by Seberin on 1/7/2014

Well a lot of people do consider the total number of masters to be fourteen. But since I don’t have access to the house of chimes and have not found any evidence saying otherwise. I believe that Mr. Chimes is a legitimate master. I think he is worth adding to the list. Unless other evidence says otherwise

Some of them I have found to be correct. Then again despite playing the game (if you can call it that) for over a year I still have yet to find the answers to some of these questions. Although some were really easy. Like the nightmare question
[li]

Not sure about the foxes and the clay men, but definitely the number of masters as 14 is plain wrong (we know from christmas content that Mr.Sacks is not a master) and it is not sure wheter we should count or not Mr.Eaten as a master (it’s dead, after all).

Another popular answer which i think it’s wrong is “Europe” as the continent in which the First City lied.

Anyone knows where to find some material about how many people do the Mr. Sackses take every Christmas?

I’m still uncertain on the First City, the foxes, the number of masters, and the prisoners masks. I think I have the others? But really I’m not certain of most of them :p Does the hivemind have the first four London location questions correct?

[quote=Corrupt Official]Well a lot of people do consider the total number of masters to be fourteen. But since I don’t have access to the house of chimes and have not found any evidence saying otherwise. I believe that Mr. Chimes is a legitimate master. I think he is worth adding to the list. Unless other evidence says otherwise[/quote]If I recall correctly, Mr. Chimes shows the individual quirks of a number of Masters, in different interactions with him. Things like making up words (Mr. Pages), or handing notes instead of speaking (Mr. Irons), among others. At this point, I’m fairly certain that Mr. Chimes is indeed yet another hat worn by various Masters.

However, whether or not to count Mr. Eaten among their numbers still eludes me.

Continents are culturally and subjectively defined, making them difficult to classify. In different parts of the world, continents are classified/counted slightly differently. For example: are Europe and Asia separate, or does only Eurasia exist? (Not to even mention Central America, Middle East and Australia…) And the geological continents are separate from cultural continents. It’s all a big mess, really, IMO.
edited by Karhumies on 1/8/2014

[quote=Andrea Serafini]
Anyone knows where to find some material about how many people do the Mr. Sackses take every Christmas?[/quote]
This one has always baffled me. I’ve never seen anything, anywhere that would even come close to addressing this question.

The final question is also rather inscrutable, if in a different way. With its simplicity and lack of context, it could mean anything. Space? The popular answer seems to be &quotThe Bazaar,&quot but could it refer to a particular time period when the Bazaar is ‘Between Stars’? Personally, I found it so befuddling that I just took the advice of the Duchess, and answered &quotLove.&quot Knowing what we know now, it might not be that far off.

I have seen a mention somewhere on the forums that the ‘place between the stars’ had been named in fate-locked content. Personally, I have no idea what the name could be.

[quote=Alexander Feld][quote=Andrea Serafini]
Anyone knows where to find some material about how many people do the Mr. Sackses take every Christmas?[/quote]
This one has always baffled me. I’ve never seen anything, anywhere that would even come close to addressing this question.

The final question is also rather inscrutable, if in a different way. With its simplicity and lack of context, it could mean anything. Space? The popular answer seems to be &quotThe Bazaar,&quot but could it refer to a particular time period when the Bazaar is ‘Between Stars’? Personally, I found it so befuddling that I just took the advice of the Duchess, and answered &quotLove.&quot Knowing what we know now, it might not be that far off.[/quote]

Actually I remember in a storylet (i’ll post it later if i can remember it) that answer to that riddle was between the stars lies the darkness.

[li]

Well, remember the result for the Shrine of the Deep Blue Heaven
“You never expected to describe a tile as ‘defiant’, but these are defiant tiles. And so is the peeling gold-leaf sunburst on the shrine’s dome. Horses are depicted, rearing to the sun: eleven hooded figures shrink away from its rays. “We are still here,” the shrine seems to say, “and we have not forgotten.””

I’d say this is a strong indication that there are eleven Masters (or at least there were eleven in the time of the Fourth City)

This is misleading—we know that (probably) all of the Sackses for the past two years were lacremen (or some kind of eldritch fiend, in the case of Mr Candles). But I’m inclined to say that &quotMr Sacks&quot is in fact a singular individual who has not been observed for over two years now. The original Mr Sacks was a warden of urchins; he had a notably &quotgravelly&quot voice and was possibly somewhat larger than the other Masters, though a comparison is difficult to draw. His movements were explicitly described as ‘lumbering’ and ‘lurching’, slow and weighty—unlike many of the others.

Whether or not he was a lacreman is unclear to me, though I don’t think it likely. But it seems dubious that he was another master in disguise, given how far the old text went to accent his particular characteristics.

Mr Chimes is as certainly a multitude as any player can claim without the answer being revealed by the devs.

Though I can’t confirm personally, I’ve heard it claimed that Mr Cups is Mr Mirrors or vice versa. Or both.

There is a phrase, from sidebar text I believe, that makes reference to the saying &quotwhen the Bazaar was between the stars&quot. This is likely the source of the popular answer.[li]
edited by Dawson on 1/8/2014

The last question is formuled in a way that makes me think a lot. It’s not exactly a question, it’s a sentence to be completed. I don’t know exactly how much speculaton is acceptable here, so I’ll just spoiler everything and hope for the best ^^

[spoiler]First of all, there’s an entire thread on the forum devoted to this very matter:

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic65-between-stars.aspx

OK, so the sentence &quotWhen the Bazaar was between stars&quot is known. I personally adhere to the theory that the Bazaar started as some sort of spacefaring creature, before assuming the currently known form (Possibly related to the Lorn-Flukes: they seem to share a common language based on light signalling). So it is probably safe to state that between the stars once lied the Bazaar, though now it is not there anymore. But then I think of the Pricked Finger Gleam destiny, stating that time is a much messier thing than a simple straight line or a circle, and I wonder if the answer shouldn’t be put in the present tense.

I don’t remember to ever have read this snippet. It is possibly correct - the Bazaar was between the stars, but it is no more, unless we’re ready to accept a very wibbly wobbly conception of time - but as I mentioned, the question isn’t necessarily &quotwhat lies between stars right now" I’d say an answer like &quotLied the Bazaar&quot should be acceptable. Alternatively, could this &quotdarkness&quot be the &quotVoid&quot mentioned in the Destinies? Could the answer be &quotLies the Void?&quot The Breath of the Void is described as &quotThis is how the Correspondence sounds, when it’s spoken between stars.&quot So if the Correspondence spoken between stars is the Breath of the Void - between stars is the Void.

What does everybody think?[/spoiler]

Is that who I think it is? If so, that’s MY city he founded. Gosh, I should have been more familiar with this guy than most. No wonder there’s that sidebar entry that doesn’t seem to belong to the Neath.[li]

When will the mysteries will be closed? Do we have a date? I need to do some research :)