More marriage options?

Okay, so I’m married in game to another player. And I know a lot of you are too. But I’d like to see more marriage options in the game myself.

if you have a idea maybe share them here?

One me and said player had was the ability to share certain things. I’m not sure how best to explain, but if for example, say one of you had a Zub and the other has a Yauct, you can have the cards and options for both appear when Zailing.

Oh, that’d be pretty sweet! Not sure if that’d mess up balance, but it’d be a nice thing to be able to share items.

I think most people are going to suggest divorce. =X There was another thread about it, I believe.

But anyway, on a related note, I’ve always wondered why people can’t zail together-- it would open up a whole lot more RP possibilities, even if one ignores the ‘practical’ ingame benefits-- but I’d imagine that it’d be really tough to implement and would probably screw up lots of things balance-wise. Still, if it’s at all possible, that’d be wicked awesome. =)

Being able to conceive or adopt a child, as in Sunless Sea, might be interesting! (Could have tie-ins with the Daughter fate-locked storylets and endings as well.)

Also, maybe the creation of some joint items? The wedding grind is painful, but I think it’d be nice to be able to invest in some more joint items together; it’s a good concept.

However, I think these options should be open to those with NPC spouses as well, somehow. I’ve always wondered about this: is the system deliberately built such that getting players to get together is more advantageous than having NPC spouses (e.g. the higher stats benefits, sans Rubbery Consort which is fate-locked)? Are the devs trying to foster more player interaction?

Not sure if I’m giving suggestions or fantasising about possibilities, but take it however you will!
edited by Sestina Valdis on 11/22/2015

I’m going to use some of the info I found in this site and try to adapt it to the existing FBG system.

first let’s discuss what FBG did right:

• Lore - marriage was probably one of the most tiring yet most rewarding stories in London. It is ripe of delicious secrets and have a lot of roleplaying potential.
  • &quotRealism&quot - I had a lot of experience in helping my friends with their weddings during the time that this mechanic was introduced and I found that the amount of stress and spent resources that you pour into this venture is quite close to the real thing.

next, how we can improve it:

• CP bonus for Social Actions used together, say a chess game with your partner will give 1.25x Watchful CP as a opposed to 1x one for non-partners
  • Optional divorce especially if the other partner deactivates/abandon their account (this is really sad and easily abused though so I&quotm totally fine with FBG implementing a steep price for re-marrying like how you need to spend a 62.50 echo item to get a new Closest To Faction).
  • Wedding clothing/ items which can unlock extra lore during or after marriage. A Wedding gown made from Ivory Organza anyone? :)
  • More NPC’s available for marriage. The Model and the Thief are nice partners but let’s just say that certain companions make promising spouses.

I got married in Second Life, which has quite open-ended player interactions. It’s possible to have as large or small a wedding as one wishes, limited only by the number of one’s acquaintances. And there are some spectacular venues in SL despite the rather decrepit engine. But SL is a true MMORPG, whereas in FL the social actions seem to be much more limited.
At the least, one should be able to do with one’s spouse what he did with his beloved, and there should be some mechanism for divorce, even if it does require an Act of Parliament.

– Mal

I seek the embrace of a burly man (+1 Dangerous)

Others prefer a spell in darkness (+1 Shadowy)

[quote=malthaussen]I got married in Second Life, which has quite open-ended player interactions. It’s possible to have as large or small a wedding as one wishes, limited only by the number of one’s acquaintances. And there are some spectacular venues in SL despite the rather decrepit engine. But SL is a true MMORPG, whereas in FL the social actions seem to be much more limited.
At the least, one should be able to do with one’s spouse what he did with his beloved, and there should be some mechanism for divorce, even if it does require an Act of Parliament.

– Mal[/quote]

Is SL still a thing? I was wondering about that… I haven’t revisited SL since the LonelyGirl15 days… Wow!

Not familiar with LonelyGirl15 or Second Life myself, for a brief moment I thought your username was LonelyGirl15.:loo:

LOL

Yep, Second Life is still a thing. I don’t visit there very often, but I maintain my ties to the community I was with. A group who have much in common with FL, in fact, since they are predominantly into Steampunk and Victoriana.

– Mal

How was your experience with these type of things? All the stories I heard about Second Life were inevitably along the lines of weird cybering pandemonium, but I assume you probably have a different experience.

I was/am a resident of the Steamlands, specifically Caledon, which is a very pleasant place. It is true that SL has a bad rap, with many salacious stories to be told, and the mainland areas are often terrible. But along with the Gorean paradises and vampiric territories, there are pockets where culture and courtesy flourish. I enjoyed myself a lot there (the opportunities for role-playing and social interaction are great), but kind of lost heart when my in-game wife decided to stop playing. Since it’s free, it’s worth a look, but the hardware demands are non-trivial. It can be a real time-sink, though. And some of the venues are downright majestic.

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]I was/am a resident of the Steamlands, specifically Caledon, which is a very pleasant place. It is true that SL has a bad rap, with many salacious stories to be told, and the mainland areas are often terrible. But along with the Gorean paradises and vampiric territories, there are pockets where culture and courtesy flourish. I enjoyed myself a lot there (the opportunities for role-playing and social interaction are great), but kind of lost heart when my in-game wife decided to stop playing. Since it’s free, it’s worth a look, but the hardware demands are non-trivial. It can be a real time-sink, though. And some of the venues are downright majestic.

– Mal[/quote]

Years ago there were quite a few places that featured live music… a few touring bands I was working with at the time considered setting up an SL presence… but over time the live music became average folks doing poor karaoke… and I quit going.

I’ve been to a couple of good live concerts, as well as poetry readings and whatnot… I mostly liked going to various dances, which had a wide variety of recorded music. But the possibilities are virtually endless, there.

– Mal

[quote=Pyrodinium]I’m going to use some of the info I found in this site and try to adapt it to the existing FBG system.

first let’s discuss what FBG did right:

• Lore - marriage was probably one of the most tiring yet most rewarding stories in London. It is ripe of delicious secrets and have a lot of roleplaying potential.
  • &quotRealism&quot - I had a lot of experience in helping my friends with their weddings during the time that this mechanic was introduced and I found that the amount of stress and spent resources that you pour into this venture is quite close to the real thing.

next, how we can improve it:

• CP bonus for Social Actions used together, say a chess game with your partner will give 1.25x Watchful CP as a opposed to 1x one for non-partners
  • Optional divorce especially if the other partner deactivates/abandon their account (this is really sad and easily abused though so I&quotm totally fine with FBG implementing a steep price for re-marrying like how you need to spend a 62.50 echo item to get a new Closest To Faction).
  • Wedding clothing/ items which can unlock extra lore during or after marriage. A Wedding gown made from Ivory Organza anyone? :)
  • More NPC’s available for marriage. The Model and the Thief are nice partners but let’s just say that certain companions make promising spouses.[/quote]

I definitely agree with the divorce option. I want my husband from a previously deleted account to be able to move on… and to have that out if I need it.

Just because I love to cite historical sources, here is a relevant article from Wikipedia: Matrimonial Causes Act 1857 - Wikipedia
And here is one from the Victorian Web: “No Escape to be Had, No Absolution to be Got”: Divorce in the Lives and Novels of Charles Dickens and Caroline Norton

In game terms, since the devs appear to have taken steps to clean up acquaintanceships that have lapsed due to a character retiring, it should not be too much to hope that they might undertake some relief for those saddled with absent spouses (spice?).

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 11/23/2015

[quote=malthaussen]

– Mal[/quote]

I just remembered reading from TVTropes that one of the reasons that you can tell a certain NPC why you are Seeking Mr. Eaten’s Name is that it’s &quotcheaper than divorce&quot. As such, I suggest that a new quest called &quotSeeking Baseborn & Fowlingpiece’s Services&quot be created for divorces.

Seven are the divorce papers that you need to sign.
edited by Pyrodinium on 11/23/2015
edited by Pyrodinium on 11/23/2015

So anyone else got a few ideas?

One I had is things that complement each other. For example, if your spouse is a member of the CVR they can try and find your soul, if they are a Sprifer they can get you both a good price for it, and if you are one and they are the other you can set up a effective tag team of doing which one you want and either sharing in the profit or the exaultation from society.
edited by Kylestien on 11/26/2015

Well, I’m not married yet, on account of the fact that my betrothed and I both have expensive tastes-
actually, that’s a lie; she’d have been happy to elope. I demanded the full St. Fiacre’s, and it’ll be a year or so before the banns are read. Such is life.

In terms of post-nuptial activities, I’d personally appreciate an option to write to one’s beloved while at Zee. I go zailing all the time, she spends her days in London having all kinds of adventures- and I sometimes wish there was an option to write to each other about these things. I wouldn’t mind a cost of several actions (it takes time for mail to arrive!), and the spouse on land could receive Zee-Ztories or second chances etc. Meanwhile, a Zee-faring spouse could receive some kind of menace-lowering bonus when they read a letter from home. It’s another idea, at least!

[quote=Kivrin Neverwinter]Well, I’m not married yet, on account of the fact that my betrothed and I both have expensive tastes-
actually, that’s a lie; she’d have been happy to elope. I demanded the full St. Fiacre’s, and it’ll be a year or so before the banns are read. Such is life.

In terms of post-nuptial activities, I’d personally appreciate an option to write to one’s beloved while at Zee. I go zailing all the time, she spends her days in London having all kinds of adventures- and I sometimes wish there was an option to write to each other about these things. I wouldn’t mind a cost of several actions (it takes time for mail to arrive!), and the spouse on land could receive Zee-Ztories or second chances etc. Meanwhile, a Zee-faring spouse could receive some kind of menace-lowering bonus when they read a letter from home. It’s another idea, at least![/quote]

Nice idea!

How about giving a Sulky Bat its freedom in exchange for an overzee letter? Due to the cheapness of the pet (40 p) and potential complications with the flavor of various islands, the batty couriers can only work in the zee itself. As for menace reduction, I suggest that the letter affects Troubled Waters and Approaching Journey’s End instead to keep the zee flavor.

A honeymoon would be nice, eh? What’s the 'Neath’s equivalent to Niagra Falls?

– Mal