Maxed my stats and about to be a POSI...

What are the most important things to do after becoming a POSI?

Acquiring a ship?
Railway?
‘Unfinished business’ quests?
Ambition?
Unlock more areas? Wilmots, Orphanage, Laboratory etc.

Will I be locked out of anything significant after becoming a POSI?

Finally, are getting kicked out of the University and getting banished from the Empress Court reversible?

For the former, you get kicked out if you accuse the Provost… should you do it? Are the rewards worth it?

The latter is inevitable if you continue along the MYN: a name signed with a flourish storylet.

There are two things that both open up significant amounts of new content, which are Zailing, and opening a Parabolan Base-Camp (which requires a Lab). There are a lot of awesome and important areas to open up like Wilmot’s End and the Cave of the Nadir, but a Ship and a Base-Camp each open up several new areas with a variation of content. The Lab is probably the better one mechanically, as it provides access to some good money-makers. The Zee probably has more and more-varied content, and with Zeefarer it’s much more fun on its own and also where new content is going to be released for the foreseeable future.

If you just became POSI, the Railway is a long way off. You need 175 persuasive and 200 base watchful to even begin. Unfinished Business are not really &quotquests&quot per say, they’re convenient ways to grind basic materials.

I would suggest advancing your Ambition as you become able to. I think they all require a Ship at some point anyways. It’s ideal, but not required, to complete your Ambition before starting the Railway–there are several options opened by various Ambition rewards.

I would also put some effort towards filling in some of your new equipment slots. Affiliation, Transport, Home Comfort, Spouse, Club. While they’re not as competitive as they used to be, God’s Editors and a Gang of Hoodlums are useful to have, and a Club adds good stats and a good card (be aware–you can only have one!).

Beyond that, I would focus on concluding unfinished quests (Empress’ Court, University, etc), slowly building your stats to 200, acquiring either a Salon or an Orphanage, and building Notability to upgrade your Profession. If you have patience and an appetite for spending materials, Renown is useful to level as well, with every faction.

The most important things I generally think are advancing stats and unlocking new areas - so that if you get stuck in one place or don’t have enough resources you can go somewhere else. So I think among the things you listed, the priorities are:

1. Get a ship. Unlocks lots of islands and new areas, required for finishing all the storylines below (including university and court and ambition). Start with the basic ship, you can always upgrade later.

2. Progress the Making Your Name stories (this will also unlock new areas as you go).

3. When you come across a good source of particular items, collect them! Occasionally spend some time grinding up to get a club, affiliations, home comforts, etc.

4. Progress your ambition when you can.

The Unfinished Business aren’t quests, they’re just mid-game sources of a lot of basic items. Use those for grinding when you need an item those give.

You will not be locked out of anything significant after becoming POSI. Banished from the empress court is fully reversible. Banished from the University… technically reversible, but in practice the Term Passing carousels aren’t there after you get back, so it feels more like a one-way street. You’ll need to do it eventually to progress though. Even if you don’t accuse the provost those carousels go away.

I’ve maxed out all my stats… everything 200+N now.

In summary:

1. Ship and ship-related stuff
  2. Railway
  3. Using the new equipment slots
  4. Higher tier professions
  5. Salon or Orphanage

I have spent some Great Game favours in an attempt to raise my Great Game renown and unlock Wilmot’s End with this card:

Looks like all I need to do is become a POSI and talk to the Bohemian Sculptress in my Lodgings.

You need a lot of money. So first priority should be getting access to at least one really good grind. I am not sure which one is easiest for mid-game players. Probably Doubt Street Newspaper or Brawls in Blind Helmsman

[quote=fishandchips]What are the most important things to do after becoming a POSI?

Acquiring a ship?
Railway?
‘Unfinished business’ quests?
Ambition?
Unlock more areas? Wilmots, Orphanage, Laboratory etc.

Will I be locked out of anything significant after becoming a POSI?

Finally, are getting kicked out of the University and getting banished from the Empress Court reversible?

For the former, you get kicked out if you accuse the Provost… should you do it? Are the rewards worth it?

The latter is inevitable if you continue along the MYN: a name signed with a flourish storylet.[/quote]

I have also just become a POSI but am far from maxing my stats. I started a thread on this recently, too! There are SO MANY CHOICES! Also I checked the wiki for some spoilers: both uni and court banishments are necessary to progress and eventually reversible (with a lot of resources) but you probably want to wait a while to do so.

So, I have bought a cheap ship, and got a university lab. These are expensive things! I’m getting married to my alt (slow and expensive unless you want to elope which harms you socially), I’ve acquired a couple of home comforts (gym & library). I’ve done a short zee voyage: there are local places worth exploring. I tried to get to polythreme but got killed by pirates when I was almost there (oops, high wounds and failing a 95% dangerous check damnit) so I’ll do that again soon.

I decided not to get kicked out of the university until I have used my lab enough to get to Parabola, so that is sitting there as a loose end. I opened Wilmots End (worth it for getting various items) and the Labyrinth of Tigers (need more dangerous!) and I’m looking around for other locales that might need opening. I don’t have Mahogany Hall yet, or a newspaper.

I’m using the &quotplans&quot section more now, and noting some as long term. Like, I’m saving up for a Zub, a Salon and lab improvements, so it’s handy to have a quick reference on what I still need to get. I try to focus on one thing a day - I’ve just done a Wilmot’s End run for legal documents to get my library. Then if I have time during the day I drop in for cards, resources, small things. Tomorrow I may try to burgle the records office so I can make my name in shadow more: my character is not very shadowy but is driven by SCIENCE, so whatever it takes to improve the lab. Or I may try Polythreme again: I’m hunting Jack.

Oh, here’s my thread if you want to look. Quite short.
https://community.failbettergames.com/topic28502-newly-posied-up--where-to-now.aspx