Master Photos: Masters Wanted

@anarchetype It doesn’t have to be fancy, I think so long as you can get a cloak or a good approximation of one you’ll be fine! If you want to be our Mirrors that’d be fantastic.

@Indigo Clardmond We’ve already got our Pages signed up, but if you want I can put you down for Fires? Or I could start up a second list, for folks who have their heart set on a Master we’ve already got a volunteer for.

@TheThirdPolice You bring up a point, I don’t think we need to cleave too close to canon to count, but it might help to try and find some physical descriptions where possible. I’ll have to go digging after work.

To the canon descriptions, if anybody has any resources on the descriptions it’d be awesome if they’d post it! I’ve tried to find descriptions but so far… I haven’t found any good ones and for Wines am thinking brown cloak plus lots of wine bottles/maybe some shimmery honey and such.

@acorncap You can put me down for Fires since it’s available, otherwise I’m happy to help start another group if more people show up in interest.[li]

@anarchetype Some of the best descriptions of them and their room are when you visit a specific Master as Mr. Sacks for a Home Comfort item using Fate. I have the echo for Mr. Hearts, Mr. Cups, and Mr. Fires somewhere in my journal, I’ll look for them. Also have a fair amount of Pages description given it’s storylets. I’ve heard Stones does actually trim it’s hood with diamonds. I’ll do a search round for the others and get back to you with a more comprehensive list of traits.

Bear in mind though that the Masters are often hard to tell apart at first for citizens of Fallen London, which suggests they don’t necessarily dress all that uniquely beyond the hood unless they’re trying to stand out. Therefore a cosplay with a suitable hood and a prop or two suggesting which Master it is will probably be sufficient for the purposes of this photo.[/li][li]
edited by Indigo Clardmond on 2/2/2017

Go as a giant candle!

Whilst on fire!

There is no possible way in which this is a bad idea.

Hey I’m new here. CaptainBleifuss dragged me here ;) Thanks sweety :*
I’d like to apply for Mister Apples if it’s not already taken.

For Wines, probably a violin and/or a wine bottle.

@dov thank you :D wine bottles (and maybe wine-filled glasses) I have (more than enough), a violin… not so much. Though if I find a used one for cheap I’d definitely buy it :'D

[quote=acorncap]Or I could start up a second list, for folks who have their heart set on a Master we’ve already got a volunteer for.[/quote]I like that idea. We do need to get 7 photos, which means 77 people.

If someone’s favourite Master is taken, perhaps they can sign up for another photo. If it’s helpful, acorncap, I humbly submit this [color=#33cc00]google sheet[/color] people can use. Thanks for organising!
edited by Ginneon Thursday on 2/2/2017

Veils wears an exceptional hat on its fist.

Here’s another resource on the Masters: Part 1 & Part 2.

I think it’d be fantastic if the wines cosplay was wrapped up in a carpet.

After a lot of searching, here is all the pertinent canon text on each Master I could find, either describing them in a scene, their room, and/or a general impression that can inspire what they are likely to have on them that could be used for identifying cosplay.

I’ll wrap it up in spoiler as it is a lot of text and some do come from spoiler storylets, though as I don’t differentiate or identify them, you’d be hard pressed to figure out the spoilers unless you’d already seen them. Do like FBG’s clever little hints and nudges in some of the descriptions.

[spoiler] Mr. Apples - Mr Apples seems delighted to see you. It presses honeyed wine on you and insists you try a variety of preserved fruits imported at tremendous expense from the Elder Continent. The fruits have wonderful healing properties, and taste extraordinary besides.
It whispers incautious gossip about the Masters in your eager ear. It does – a little unnervingly – place its hand on your knee several times. (Hand? Whatever it keeps in its glove, in any case.) Is this Masterly flirtation? Or is it determining whether you’re ripe and plump for some dreadful purpose?

Mr. Hearts - The room is steaming hot. A broad marble counter is strewn with knives and cleavers and gobbets of gristle. Carcasses hang from ceiling-hooks. The air smells of blood and peppery seasoning.
The Master is fiddling with a fiendishly intricate machine, as big as an oven. A clank. A whirr! Its glove is snatched into the mechanism. Mr Hearts’ gloveless finger vanishes into its hood, from where you hear sucking. ‘Finger’ may be an inaccurate word. Perhaps ‘talon’ would be better.

Mr. Cups - The ceilings of Mr Cups’ parlour soar high above you. The walls are lined with vast display cabinets, filled with crockery, pottery, and sculpture. Some are worth trading a spouse for. Others are tools of social suicide.

Mr. Mirrors - The room is covered with a tessellation of mirrors. A tiny hand mirror has been tucked into the gap between the frames of two full length mirrors. The walls filled, more are suspended from the ceiling on thick chains. Each mirror differs from the next, but all have one thing in common - from the edge or corner of each, a shard of glass has been removed. Mr Mirrors has stalked in behind you. Is that a saucer it’s tucking into its voluminous sleeve?

Mr. Fires - The apartments of Mr Fires blaze with light: gas, candle, scintillant stone, peculiar incandescent arc-bulbs of glass. You blink. It’s like the Surface in here. Mr Fires wears a hooded robe of red so deep that in ordinary light it would appear black – but here, each element of its hue is individually distinguishable.

Mr. Iron - In all the vast room where you meet Mr Iron, you see only his chair and desk; a single many-lensed instrument of obscure function; and ranks of watchful neddy men. He comes forward and hands you a note. He motions with a gloved hand for you to turn the note over.

Mr. Pages - Mr Pages harangues a gang of sorry-looking Special Constables amongst a desperate wreckage of books and papers…A hunched figure wrapped in a cloak the colour of parchment looms on your step. Ink stains dapple its drooping sleeves. Leaning forward, it whispers to you hoarsely. &quotNocturnous felicitations, Sir. I was hoping to have a word - more accurately, a multitude of words.&quot

Mr. Spices - Mr Spices’ den is a fragrant, colourful desert of seasonings. Your eye wanders over ridges of turmeric and basil; over dunes of lavender. Escarpments of cinnamon rise shoulder high. Scents press onto your tongue. The olfactory bombardment is exquisite; unbearable. How many kingdoms could this be worth? Mr Spices is standing, alone, at the edge of the mud-choked pond, gazing into the water. It is wearing many layers of cloaks against the cold air, and resembles an undertaker’s laundry basket with feet.

Mr. Stones - Mr Stones’ cloak shimmers, more grey than black. Perhaps it’s the tiny diamonds woven into the fabric. The tapping of its claws fills the gloomy office.

Mr. Veils - Mr Veils’ rooms are black. Black-black, closed-eyelids black, Bazaar-buried black. But not empty, or silent. Its residents shriek distantly, flutter in ghastly proximity. There are airs: there are voices.

Mr. Wines - There appears to be some sort of banquet going on in Mr Wines’ rooms. As one, the guests rise and toast you. There is a rousing cheer. Everyone’s favourite master, who probably doesn’t eat children; only occasionally has innocents beaten by his neddies; and almost never ruins small shopkeepers with savagely devious back-room deals. He keeps a fine cellar, does Mr Wines. You are encouraged to taste its products until your head swims. You enjoy a pleasant half-hour listening to Mr Wines’ tales of previous cities: the fermented mare’s milk he sold in the Fourth, the maize-wine of the Third, the sour beer of the Second. Mr Wines presses a wax-sealed bottle on you as you leave. &quotI think you’d look charming in black,&quot it says enigmatically. [/spoiler]

I’ve a bit more Masters text, from m’own wedding.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Parelle?fromEcho=440

[quote=acorncap]@anarchetype It doesn’t have to be fancy, I think so long as you can get a cloak or a good approximation of one you’ll be fine! If you want to be our Mirrors that’d be fantastic.
[/quote]

I will gladly be Mirrors.

@ anyone who provided information on the Master’s appearance: than you all so very much for your help!!

@suinicide I do own carpets… though they are… a bit garish, at that. (As in, quite purple and very much not period appropriate.)

More Master text from my journal. I’ve pared it down to the essentials (mostly accoutrements people could use in their cosutmes) as per (I think) Failbetter’s policy, but read spoilers at your own risk.

Mr Pages

The (bottled Oblivion) vanishes into its cloak for later &quotimbibals&quot.
It takes little interest in most who brave the stage, but scrutinises those few poets who capture its attention as closely as an insect under a microscope. Every detail is noted; each scrawled sheet discarded when there is no room for further corrections.
Relying on the disappeared Ambition journal (sigh), I no longer have one of my favourite snippets. I can tell you that Pages decorates his chambers with rice paper walls, and cares for some mysterious smaller creatures he refers to as mischeroptera (which implies bats).

Mr Wines
Mr Wines drums its long, gloved fingers on its desk of black coral.

She has always thought this one is the most dangerous of the Masters, for all its jokes and toasts and gifts of wine. It seems amiable; it seems sympathetic.

Implicated in the animate toy conspiracy, alongside Mr Cups.

Mr Iron
If you want to go old school, this is him from the 4th city: The Khan of Swords, who does not speak, but who wields a blade in either hand.

His ambidexterity and silence continues to the present day, though he can communicate in writing.

? (Mr Sacks)
Twin red stars glow in the depths of his cowl. Whoever showed up on Day 7 from Xmas 2015 has red eyes. Mr Fires?

edited by TheThirdPolice on 2/3/2017

I was wondering, since glowing eyes would be a nice touch to the cosplay to really sell it, would the entry still count if you were to shop or edit some into your photo? I could do it easily enough with mine, and my face is completely obscured thanks to the mask/hood I have for Masters cosplay.

Otherwise, does anyone have any tips on how to achieve this physically without too much effort? Like, LEDs behind the mask somehow, or tape on some cut outs colored with something glowy?

If we still need Apples/Mirrors I’ll take part! :) I don’t mind as whom.

[quote=Indigo Clardmond]I was wondering, since glowing eyes would be a nice touch to the cosplay to really sell it, would the entry still count if you were to shop or edit some into your photo? I could do it easily enough with mine, and my face is completely obscured thanks to the mask/hood I have for Masters cosplay.

Otherwise, does anyone have any tips on how to achieve this physically without too much effort? Like, LEDs behind the mask somehow, or tape on some cut outs colored with something glowy?[/quote]

Yeah this would be really good, LEDs would look awesome but are unfortunatly a bit out of my technical and bugetary range a the moment. Photoshopping the eyes in would be a real help!

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Mannfred%20Von%20Darken

During the twitch stream today, it was confirmed that Mr Eaten and Mr Sacks (and presumably Mr Chimes too) are all acceptable.

…I wonder if Mr Shacksh would be allowed ;)