Marigold

Marigold Station sits in the very shadow of Hell. The white walls of that city loom on the horizon, like stormclouds before the first crash of thunder.

It is now possible to lay tracks towards Marigold Station – the final station connecting the Great Hellbound Railway with the Moloch St. Line, and concluding the storyline of the Railway and the Tracklayers’ Union. The station itself will become buildable from the 10th June.

Chart the lands under Hell’s shadow, embroil yourself in infernal intrigues, and perhaps even encounter some of the vanquished Princes of antique Hell. Explore the Lilymire, Saint Trezigor’s Folly and the Edict of Towers as you hunt for the lost Marigolds. Assist a Dauntless Knight in an impossible quest. Can Hell ordain redemption, and if so, at what price?

I don’t know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn’t this. You lot do know how to keep us on our toes. Well done.

forcing someone to body horror/maybe suicide/marriage with a stranger to end a story is kinda gross. :/ I like weird, but I don’t much like this.

I wish I had the HD option, because at least he wants the body horror part.

PS: Why can’t we double Furnace? Is it because only the whole-game plot important characters get doubles as an out for writing variations? =P

Also, why is healing Ancona tied to the city? We know how to fix that for ourselves.
edited by MidnightVoyager on 6/3/2021

What led you to conclude that anyone is being forced to do anything?

I haven’t quite finished with the new stuff, but after the initial conversation I was left with the impression that we’d likely be able to influence Furnace’s decision, but if she did decide to accept the proposal it would be because she was persuaded to make that choice, not because she was compelled.

I would also like to be able to heal Furnace, regardless of who is chosen to become the city. (If she wants to be healed, of course)

[quote=Tsar Koschei]What led you to assume anyone is being forced to do anything?

I haven’t quite finished this new stuff, but after the initial conversation I was left with the impression that we’d likely be able to influence Furnace’s decision, but if she did decide to accept the proposal it would be because she was persuaded to make that choice, not because she was compelled.[/quote]

We’re being forced to go along with it to finish the plot because we’re protagonists and they’re not gonna give us a way to move the story forward without it. So I get to make the final choice myself and damn someone to something potentially worse than death. She says she’d be all for someone else doing it, so she’s not exactly into it.

I’ll build them the damn city! I’d always planned to. They don’t have to go Polythreme with it. Polythreme is awful and nobody wants to go there, least of all me.

Frankly, I’ve kinda been confused about a lot of our choices or lack therof since we found out we could fix ourselves from Mouth law by going to the Nadir. Hey, so we don’t even offer that fix to Furnace? Guess we’re jerks!

You can heal Furnace if you get Cornelius to agree to become a city. That doesn’t change the fact that there’s no option to refuse, at least presently. I hope they add that option, considering they have a week until the decision is available to us, at the very least to provide people with the option to refuse something that doesn’t fit their character.

[quote=Midnight Voyager]Hey, so we don’t even offer that fix to Furnace? Guess we’re jerks![/quote]There’s a reason we might not want to.

When you have been served with a dish of tea and a couple of biscuits, Beatrice opens up. &quotFurnace will be confused,&quot she says. &quotThat symbol – it took action as soon as Mr Fires read it. And she’ll never be able to remember exactly what happened, not unless the effect’s undone. Which she wouldn’t want. Because she might’ve forgot Mr Fires, but Mr Fires has forgot her and her whole Union, and it’ll not be giving them any more trouble, especially if they stay out of London proper.&quot
Beatrice has a fiercely triumphant expression, and you realise the reflection is perhaps not too different from Furnace after all.[/quote]You use an Irrigo box to restore Furnace’s face. You remove Discordant Laws in the Nadir. By restoring her face, you banish the Law. Presumably, the banished Law has no further effect on Mr. Fires and it will remember the union which then puts them all in danger. Of course, that’s just my interpretation. Regardless, I’m probably going to turn my double into a city. Forget statues of myself, a city of myself is a whole new deal! And I’ll be able to get back at myself for all the crimes I’ve been pinning on me. Bastard.

That’s a lot of mights for something we don’t even get the option to do. And why can we only fix Furnace if we go with Cornelius?

Also, if the city’s protected, will it even matter if Fires remembers?
edited by MidnightVoyager on 6/3/2021

The city is likely only protected by the Creditor if Furnace becomes the city-bride, which also means that she never gets ‘fixed’ and Mr. Fires has no chance to get its memories back. If we trick the Creditor and allow Cornelius to become the city-bride, I doubt it will be very pleased if/when it finds out. This potentially means the city is on its own or subject to the ire of the Creditor. If we then ‘fix’ Furnace on top of that and Fires’ memories do come back… well the city is probably in for a bad time. January actively warns against tricking the Creditor:[spoiler][quote=January]&quotYou mean to give the Creditor a different bride?&quot says January. &quotTo replace Rachel with some weary-eyed Leah?&quot

She paces behind her desk. &quotConsider. You face a power of unknown capacities. A being that might even side against the Judgements, lightless and determined. You know that this power takes promises and treaties very seriously. Only recently did you manage to remove the threat caused by deceiving it the last time. And now you propose a fresh betrayal, one much more intimate and personal than the last.&quot

January stops and looks at you. &quotI would never advise caution merely for caution’s sake. That is no way to Liberation. But in this case – where is the gain?What does Furnace do for the Liberation as a human being that she wouldn’t do far, far better, transformed into a fortress home for us?&quot[/quote][/spoiler]I do think the option to ‘fix’ Furnace should be available to every non-Furnace option, as any option that doesn’t make Furnace into the city probably counts as a betrayal towards the Creditor in the same way that Cornelius’ path does.

Again, this is all just speculation, but speculating on FL using the information available is one of the high points of the game to me.
edited by Mulligan on 6/4/2021

I can’t actually talk to January at all, so I’ve never been privy to her opinion or heard her side of anything. (which I think is a pretty big flaw in the whole tracklayer leader system, but it’s too late for that now)

Discordance hasn’t unlocked the only option I’m not interested in, far beyond the other options.

I’ve been waiting for the right moment to take revenge on the tracklayers for an obscene amount of interruptions, and the opportunity presented says it all. It should be me. It should ALWAYS be me.

[quote=MidnightVoyager]And why can we only fix Furnace if we go with Cornelius?
[/quote]
I assume it has to do with his involvement in the origin of her condition.

[quote]It should be you. It should always be you.[/quote]Hahaha YESS!!!

It’s going to be hard choosing between this and the Manager option.

Is this the first official recognition of the long-rumoured mystery pet, the Fungal Pony? Hilarious!

I’m very torn between Me-city and Furnace-City (Don’t care about Cornelius. Never even tracked down the guy). On the one hand, Furnace doesn’t seem entirely against the idea, even if she is not entirely for either, and this is a city for the TLU, not for me.

On the other hand. Ignacioustown.

For what it’s worth. It’s rather unlikely that we’ll end up making a second Polythreme here, in the sense that the procedure is unlikely to result in life becoming a living hell for whoever undergoes the procedure. I doubt the Creditor is interested in a spouse who is angry at their life circumstances.

Is this the first official recognition of the long-rumoured mystery pet, the Fungal Pony? Hilarious![/quote]

Isn’t it enough to know that they ruined a pony making a gift for you?

[quote=MidnightVoyager]forcing someone to body horror/maybe suicide/marriage with a stranger to end a story is kinda gross. :/ I like weird, but I don’t much like this.

I wish I had the HD option, because at least he wants the body horror part.

PS: Why can’t we double Furnace? Is it because only the whole-game plot important characters get doubles as an out for writing variations? =P

Also, why is healing Ancona tied to the city? We know how to fix that for ourselves.[/quote]
Some follow-ups to this.

FBG added a few options, most importantly one where you refuse to participate in all of this. Probably in response to feedback like yours (this isn’t the only place I’ve seen the sentiment).

There’s also a second option that involves fixing her face, which does not found Corneliopolis. And I feel very clever because it confirms my earlier supposition upthread: Furnace’s condition is still linked to Cornelius, and changing it requires his participation.

I’m so glad that they added the option to fix Furnace to other paths too. Now there’s really one choice I want to make, and it’s clear to me: Give the Manager his Heart’s Desire and fix Furnace!

I’m torn, really torn. On the one hand, the manager, yes, very interesting. On the other hand, it SHOULD be me. It should ALWAYS be me.

I kinda thought that way too, since I’ve been littering the place with statues of myself, really… but… I prefer having more ties to Heart’s Desire, since I loved that Ambition to death and back.