Making your Name: Shadowy is being implemented

Typo in level 7 of A Name Whispered in Darkness: &quotYou[sic] name is steeped in shadow!&quot
EDIT: The text has changed completely.

In a totally different vein, the new quality &quotYou Make Your Toasts To&quot is much appreciated! I like being able to side with the Topsy King.
edited by Travers on 11/10/2015

I doubt it, if you enter at &quotsecured access to the flit&quot you keep your Master Thief quality.[/quote]It looks like Master Thief is being handled in the same way as Feared Duelist; it may drop if it is too high, but below that point it’ll be preserved and will save you some grinding.

Thanks, you two.

Hmmm. Got Subtle on the Intercepted Correspondence initial pick, but toasting the Widow only gets Heartless. Hope I didn’t miss something there. If someone has found Subtle on the later steps, please let me know.

As a career Shadowy, I am intensely enjoying replaying the early content in Spite.

Trying to worm your way in when toasting raised my Daring from 8 to 9 and lowered my Subtle from 10 to 9.
Also most where not very impressed I did that, though the Topsy King did call me a frisky goden. It sounded like a good thing.

My character is also being true to himself, trying to be a good guy.

[quote=Toran]Hmmm. Got Subtle on the Intercepted Correspondence initial pick, but toasting the Widow only gets Heartless. Hope I didn’t miss something there. If someone has found Subtle on the later steps, please let me know.[/quote]I jumped right to the end on the initial choice, which took me to a storylet that got me subtle:

It involved mediating a council of thieves. I favored The Widow, who was pursuing a seemingly disparate array of privileges and advantages; that took me from Subtle 10 to 11.

[quote=Travers]

In a totally different vein, the new quality &quotYou Make Your Toasts To&quot is much appreciated! I like being able to side with the Topsy King.
edited by Travers on 11/10/2015[/quote]

I’m not sure I’ve ever had a clearer character choice than siding with the Topsy King.

Ah I see now. Unless your ‘Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion’ is 9+ and your Master Thief is 5+ then you keep the qualities, when you select the 5th tier or higher.

None of the toasts give Subtle, so you haven’t missed any there; at the next gate, once you finish a first area-dive, recompense with betrayal will raise Subtle (at the cost of Magnanimous). At the next gate right after that (the lofty invitation that requires 1000 Jade), coaxing tricks of the trade from the party-goers will raise Subtle. Not sure about later stages as it’s taking a while to pull off the multiple thefts in the Flit!

Well this is awkward. Aside from spy work and the occasional raid on legal offices for Bazaar permits, my character had kept criminal involvement to a minimum. You’re far more likely to find him putting the boot into footpads with the velocipede squad.

Who are you, Madame Shoshana? :D Nice work guessing that, I am pretty amazed someone got it on the dot! It was ever brief fun guessing it before it went live.

And as I had hoped for, the beginning is unlocked for a full recap on Shadowy activities. Thanks Failbetter! I very much desired to understand the early content of this attribute in which I completely forgot. Plus, a bonus to my low Shadowy is always a treat along the way! The tracker kept two qualities that were low (Master Thief at 2 and Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion at 6) and lost my Raking the Muck, which is better than I thought, since I was fully prepared to lose them all starting over. I still have Flit route unlocked too, which is neat. I look forward to the old and new things that appear as I progress the tracker! :)

None of the toasts give Subtle, so you haven’t missed any there; at the next gate, once you finish a first area-dive, recompense with betrayal will raise Subtle (at the cost of Magnanimous). At the next gate right after that (the lofty invitation that requires 1000 Jade), coaxing tricks of the trade from the party-goers will raise Subtle. Not sure about later stages as it’s taking a while to pull off the multiple thefts in the Flit![/quote]

Ah thanks - Damn, got the Lofty Invitation one correct, but missed the Subtle on the Recompense/Betray. I thought that was going to give Ruthless.

Has anyone echoed the text to which underworld denizen they toasted? I can’t decide who to choose. Maybe knowing the responses would help.

Unsurprisingly, I chose the Cheery Man:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Gemma~Hawley?fromEchoId=7009869

I’ve always had a soft spot for Tristam Bagley (aka the Topsy King), so it was he I toasted to:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady~Taimi~Felix?fromEchoId=7011697

I chose the Gracious Widow. I really like the Silver Tree so I guess it’s actually a toast for the Fourth City.

I wound up choosing to toast myself as I found the text amusing and ended up with daring 11 as a result so I’d say it worked out very well, even if I’ve also scandalized the footpad.

Thanks to everyone who responded! Your help was greatly appreciated.

As a warning, Investigating the Careworn Journalist from the new Making your Name card resets the progress for the investigation, regardless of how far you are in the investigation.

I picked the Topsy King. +Austere, -Hedonist[li]
edited by th8827 on 11/11/2015

I’m working my way back through Dangerous at the moment - for each of these I’ve reverted back to the lowest level, and worked my way up again to see any stories I’ve missed.
But this time around? I’d forgotten how much grinding was involved in Dangerous and I expected Shadowy to be more of the same (when I’d just reached the cats+bats section) so this time I’ve chosen to continue from where I had reached.

I did the same. I’ve no care for the Cheery Man, the Widow’s been good enough to me and the Topsy King is my favourite of the three, but I didn’t really connect with any of them. So I figure I’ve got my own Gang of Hoodlums and more than a few Devils on my side (including the one who took my soul) - so I embraced my Hedonism (and Heartless 15) Quirks along with the Dreaded+7 gear I had on at the time, and in a bout of carelessness decided if they don’t like a new face in town they’ll just have to deal.
While I don’t seek to go out of my way to rock their respective boats, I do believe it’s time they start to consider me an equal rather than purely a minion in their schemes.