Knightly Tales

[quote=PostalElf]Thanks for all your catches and suggestions Bobby! Please post or PM me your character name so I can at the very least reduce your Chaos for having to live with all of that earlier on.
edited by PostalElf on 1/5/2013[/quote]

My character name is “Robert of Archer”

[quote=PostalElf][quote=MidnightVoyager]…Well, I’m not sure how I managed this. I’m stuck in a place that looks unfinished and I can’t get out of it.

I think I clicked through to make a new character at an inopportune time and accidentally tripped through some construction?
edited by MidnightVoyager on 1/5/2013[/quote]

Uh-oh. If it happens again, can you walk me through what happened? You can click through the betasuicide link to make a new character. Sorry this happened to you![/quote]

I can’t find that link.

I’m fairly certain this is the link refereed to: http://knightlytales.storynexus.com/a/betasuicide

Ah, thank you, I missed that somehow.

Alright I’ve reset your Chaos, given you 100 gold pieces and something else for your troubles. :)

Ah nuts. Can you describe the events that lead up to the loop? I can give you an item that will hopefully allow you to get out of there, but I’ll like also to fix the loop if possible: unless it was one of those weird things where you did something while I was updating it and you got yourself caught between dimensions as the realities of the world sheared apart.

EDIT: I’ve given you said item. It should be fairly distinctive!

edited by PostalElf on 1/7/2013

OK folks, phase 2 of the revamp is completed! I’ve added in bracket text descriptions for every combat action so you’ll know exactly what you’re getting yourself into when you select a combat option. This should make for a more tactical game, where you can plan your moves slightly ahead of time. Now for phase 2.5, which is to update the combat text on the attack cards themselves. The reason why this hasn’t been done yet is because I’m currently in the process of rebalancing the attacks based on feedback from other players: so if you have any suggestions on how to better rebalance the attacks, post here or PM me! =)

well, i believe i had just ran from the creature i was to fight due to the minstrel, noticed a new pinned card called ‘buff’ and went oooh. clicked it and ended up in the loop. It seems i still have the ‘terrain: underground’ even tho i’m not in a fight anylonger(used item) but with luck that will vanish next time i fight.

I restarted the game and got through the combat tutorial (MUCH improved-nice job!) But on exit ended up in a blank place with no pinned cards so I’m stuck. Char name Hanon .

I have the same issue in my game during a setting change. I noticed one of the cards is specified to move the player to the same setting he’s in and there’s no way to clear the box. I’m curious if that’s the issue.

[quote=Hanon Ondricek]I restarted the game and got through the combat tutorial (MUCH improved-nice job!) But on exit ended up in a blank place with no pinned cards so I’m stuck. Char name Hanon .

I have the same issue in my game during a setting change. I noticed one of the cards is specified to move the player to the same setting he’s in and there’s no way to clear the box. I’m curious if that’s the issue.[/quote]

This is very strange. Unfortunately, as the impersonate character function hasn’t been put in place, I’ll have to ask you to walk me through some bugfinding:

• Did you get the Potion of Vitality as a reward for completing the tutorial?
  • If not, did you get a bottle of wine? Did you drink the bottle of wine?
  • If you didn’t get a bottle of wine, what was the last thing you remember doing?

Here’s something new: a new access code ( http://knightlytales.storynexus.com/a/patchnotes ) that will give you an item to let you keep track of current and future patches to the game. Aside from letting you know what changes have already been made, it also tells you what I’m currently working on and what to expect from the game in the future. Please check it out and use the item that using the access code gives you!

The “Stick and Stones” patch is now live! These are the changes that have been made:

• Removed enemy threat generation from performing lance attacks. That was a holdover from the past when attacks were drawn from the deck instead of triggered by Opportunities. Now all lance attacks should no longer generate threat, and you should find that using a lance is much easier than before. Also rebalanced all lance attacks.[/li][li]Tweaked all two-handed weapon attack values. Most importantly, changed the way going Berserk with two-handed weapons work: berserk attacks now still requires Opportunities but deals more damage in exchange for wounds + threat. Also added bracket text explaining this.[/li][li]Tweaked sword & board, bow & arrow and magic attacks. They should now be more balanced across the board, with a slight bias to magic because everyone knows magic is awesome (and because you have to give up **** to learn magic; you’ll see).

Hi people,

I have an important announcement to make! I have since changed the way levelling up works: rather than remove XP every time you level up, your XP stays unchanged and your level simply rises. This has dramatic implications for existing characters, which is exactly why there’s a new must storylet that will set your XP to the new total required to reach your next level. Consider this a special bonus. ;)

EDIT: Automated the process. Technology is good.
edited by PostalElf on 1/16/2013

Playing through the tutorial. Am stuck on the “Penny Pincher” stage. There’s no opportunity deck for me to draw from.

Oh, I’m glad to finally find this! I saw it advertised in another StoryNexus thread and I’ve been enjoying it.

First and foremost, though, I seem to be stuck: Dark Omens and Portents has reached 5, but I can’t get a consecrated weapon or build a church (I foolishly left the library as the last building to build, and apparently the church is a level 2 building?). As such, the only monster I can fight is one I can’t beat. Help?

More generally: I love the flavor text for everything, and the commentary is very funny. It does seem rather light on story, though. The game feels kind of repetitive, and there isn’t much variation at all in battles – no result text, for instance. I can see that it’s thematically fitting, but maybe such a bare-bones approach isn’t quite necessary? I don’t know, but a little more flavour text could go a long way, I think.

The combat styles also feel pretty imbalanced. So far, it seems to me like greatswords are the best choice – a guaranteed 4-damage attack (plus a possibility of significantly lowering enemy threat) and an ability to massively reduce enemy threat plus remove disadvantages on a critical? The other choices just don’t compare. One-handed swords are pathetically weak, even with stance abilities, and I’m not really seeing the defensive advantages of bows – if anything they’re riskier, since they generally have wildly variable damage and their threat-lowering abilities aren’t any better than the other weapons’. Maybe something like being able to incur fewer penalties when gaining opportunities?

And…the randomness. I can see why you used the opportunity deck system, but it can be really punishing when fighting higher-level enemies like spellcasters where there are more cards in the deck (and more negative ones). You could certainly say that it’s more realistic this way, I suppose, but I think it would help if the player felt they had at least some control over events, since random chance mechanics can be really frustrating sometimes. Maybe if SN ever implements an option to expand the size of the player’s hand, that could help?

Despite all this, I do still think it’s fun! The building mechanic is very enjoyable and it’s great to see the castle slowly expanding (though it might be a bit helpful to know the post-building requirements, or at least which ones are “free”). I am kind of wondering if there will be an overarching plot, but I suppose I’ll wait and see! Good luck on your future endevours.

[quote=Little The]
First and foremost, though, I seem to be stuck: Dark Omens and Portents has reached 5, but I can’t get a consecrated weapon or build a church (I foolishly left the library as the last building to build, and apparently the church is a level 2 building?). As such, the only monster I can fight is one I can’t beat. Help?[/quote]

Same problem here. I guess I could start using the “Flail around” option, but that will probably just kill me over time.

Nope, can’t even do that. On the “demonic creature” card, there are literally no options unlocked at all if you don’t have a holy weapon. You can’t do a thing.

I ran away and got into battle again. This way I regained the “fast, but not fast enough”-card. Instead of using the light-weapon option you can start flailing (this directly reduces the opponents health and can be used over and over again).

Ah, I see. You’re right, though, that just heaps loads of pain on you to not much effect. “It could go either way”, my foot.

At least I got to know what happens, when you die in this game : )
Next time I’ll be a good boy and kill my cultists.
edited by Timotheus on 3/4/2013