July's Exceptional Story: All Things Must End

Do note that, in the past, epilogue cards haven’t always been added to the deck the same day the story goes live. Don’t panic - you’ll see it sooner or later!
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 6/30/2017

To me it appeared 8 hours later, so I agree with no panic.

A lore question: did I understand correctly that going to the surface simply burns you, so you do not reach thefar country ever?

Going to the surface can do a lot of things to you, and many of them depend on your time in the Neath. I think if you ever died down here, you just drop dead as soon as sunlight hits you. Right to the deck, dead as a doornail.

Otherwise, it burns you somewhat, but also burns your mind.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]To me it appeared 8 hours later, so I agree with no panic.

A lore question: did I understand correctly that going to the surface simply burns you, so you do not reach thefar country ever?[/quote]

No, it burns you to death so you DO reach the Far Country. That’s how the guy going to the Surface was to deliver those messages to the Far Country. Death. He just wanted to see the sun before he died.

I believe there’s some information about it you can uncover during a stay in the Tomb-Colonies during your scandalous exile, but it’s been a good while since I was there so I might be wrong.[/quote]
Pretty sure I’ve seen more of the scandalous exile content than the renown-based Tomb-Colonist content by now, so my guess would be that either it’s an exile thing that requires some fairly finicky prerequisites or it’s high-renown content.

[quote=Advocate Klee]
Pretty sure I’ve seen more of the scandalous exile content than the renown-based Tomb-Colonist content by now, so my guess would be that either it’s an exile thing that requires some fairly finicky prerequisites or it’s high-renown content.[/quote]
Uhhh, after looking at some stuff, I think it’s referenced during exile events, but never actually explained, leaving you completely in the dark about what’s being discussed among the colonists unless you’re already aware of what it is.

I believe there’s some information about it you can uncover during a stay in the Tomb-Colonies during your scandalous exile, but it’s been a good while since I was there so I might be wrong.[/quote]
Pretty sure I’ve seen more of the scandalous exile content than the renown-based Tomb-Colonist content by now, so my guess would be that either it’s an exile thing that requires some fairly finicky prerequisites or it’s high-renown content.[/quote]
The highest renown item is one of these moths actually. It’s the content I remember in particular.

I think that some of the dreams of dead men hint at it, but it’s the only explicit mention I remember that I am positive is outside of Exceptional Story content. I want to say maybe there’s something in one of the Ambitions that I don’t have, but I could be wrong. There are two Emergences in Sunless Sea as well, one in normal and one in Zubmariner.

By high-renown Tomb Colonist stuff, I assume we’re talking about the 40 renown item…

You get a bit of flavour text as you visit the birth of a frost-moth, and the moth itself follows you home, becomes your companion, and starts eating your curtains.

It’s only a couple of lines.

Edit: Darn. Scooped.

The thing that emerges in Zubmariner is referred to as a &quotMost-Moth.&quot I was wondering whether this was the same sort of thing as a Frost Moth.

[quote=Plynkes]By high-renown Tomb Colonist stuff, I assume we’re talking about the 40 renown item…

You get a bit of flavour text as you visit the birth of a frost-moth, and the moth itself follows you home, becomes your companion, and starts eating your curtains.

It’s only a couple of lines.

Edit: Darn. Scooped.

The thing that emerges in Zubmariner is referred to as a &quotMost-Moth.&quot I was wondering whether this was the same sort of thing as a Frost Moth.[/quote]
This is true, but it is an emergence and it is a moth… I assume they’re at least related. But the way Tomb Colonists talk, moths can be more awesome based on people’s lives, so maybe it is just the most awesome of moths?

The Most-Moth is the most mothy of moths.

Also I think it’s more closely related to tyrant-moths than frost-moths. Although those could just be bigger cousins.

[quote=Isaac Zienfried]The Most-Moth is the most mothy of moths.

Also I think it’s more closely related to tyrant-moths than frost-moths. Although those could just be bigger cousins.[/quote]
Oh, you’re right, I do remember that. It’s been some time since I played Sunless Sea, maybe I’ll run a new game to refresh my memory. It seems to incubate similarly though… and we don’t really know how someone can decide to moth out instead of the alternative. Perhaps they are merely cousins that need a dying person to carry on.

But… what is the Far Country? Apart from an awful place to be, that is.

The far country is where people go when they properly died (at least in the Neath). If you have completed all three exceptional stories of the Family Ties season the seasonal tie-in involves the Boatman taking you (alive) on a trip down there. You can either opt to have a friendly talk with him where he cryptically explains some of the Neath’s secrets, or you can have him row within view of the far country, which he is very reluctant to do, shuddering when he things about the place.
If you chose the latter option you get to see an island filled to the brim with people that stand so close that there is barely room for anyone. There is no obvious source of distress, but all of them are screaming and begging you and the boatman to take them away from there, even pleading to be given to the Brass Triremes of Hell to row (which in itself is generally considered a fate worse than death, ironically) if it will get them away from the far country, a few will even jump into the water to try to swim for the Boatman’s boat where he will wack them with his oar and sail away again.

edited by Akernis on 6/30/2017

Oh… thank you! I had chosen that option, and read the storylet, but I did not make the connection. I assumed that dying on the Surface would hurt, but spare you this exact fate. Whelp, now I must grind for a Cider even harder.

With regards to Frost-moth lore…

Theres a card in the Cave of the Nadir that mentions it as well, should you pick the option of “Rebels that Will Not Rise”. This is part of why I love LOVE this ES, because I always wanted a follow-up on it. Effectively, in the Nadir there are the tombs of fifty-five Revolutionaries from the Third City, interred there because “they would have made their republics in the Tomb-Colonies. It was not allowed of them” or something like that. When the Ebullient Undertaker mentions the Revolutionaries that recruited her back in the old days disappearing? I’m almost 100% sure it’s referencing these folks. Anyways, the first time you come across it one of the husks will break open and a frost-moth (Complaisant Frost-Moth) companion will join you, lending more evidence to the idea that they emerge from old tomb-colonists who do not end up in the Sanitarium or final death elsewhere.

This story was great. And Aj Tenamit Itzamatul is closer to canon at last!

The far country is where people go when they properly died (at least in the Neath). If you have completed all three exceptional stories of the Family Ties season the seasonal tie-in involves the Boatman taking you (alive) on a trip down there. You can either opt to have a friendly talk with him where he cryptically explains some of the Neath’s secrets, or you can have him row within view of the far country, which he is very reluctant to do, shuddering when he things about the place.
If you chose the latter option you get to see an island filled to the brim with people that stand so close that there is barely room for anyone. There is no obvious source of distress, but all of them are screaming and begging you and the boatman to take them away from there, even pleading to be given to the Brass Triremes of Hell to row (which in itself is generally considered a fate worse than death, ironically) if it will get them away from the far country, a few will even jump into the water to try to swim for the Boatman’s boat where he will wack them with his oar and sail away again.

Oh wow. Could uh, could someone share an echo of the former choice? I’ve been putting off playing the Pentecost Predicament for ages now, and am totally going to choose the latter option when I eventually get to that season’s epilogue.
edited by Krysin on 6/30/2017

Sure. This is the start of where you tell him not to sail close. The next three echoes detail the things you can ask him.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Akernis?fromEchoId=10914353
edited by Akernis on 7/1/2017

My main character said that she’d rather be burned by the sun. She sometimes misses the sun and the sky.

After you finish the story and went back to London can you return to Tannah-Chook? Or is for forever locked?

You can always return to Tannah-Chook.