July Exceptional Story: The Chimney Pot Wars

I generally don’t care for the Urchins, or most children actually. But the gangs were fairly endearing, perhaps they were appealing to some unknown maternal instinct, buried deep in me.

It was sad to see them go at the end. I wish there were more opportunities to keep them. There’s something to be treasured about being able to send bands of children to do your bidding.

What I am wondering is

the choice to examine the thing before you handle it to urchins. Is there any difference between choosing to do it and not doing it?

Nope, it is just lore hints. Mechanically, you lose some penny, but get a little Whispered Hints to partially recover that cost.

I went with the Naughts and Crosses and got…

…&quotWhat is Perhaps an Ear.&quot

[quote=Beau Mercy]I went with the Naughts and Crosses and got…

…&quotWhat is Perhaps an Ear.&quot

I went with Knotted Socks and got the same. I don’t think that final item changes.

[quote=Mordaine Barimen]&quot]An expanded opportunity deck: of ten cards instead of six!&quot

Might want to get that stray piece of typography before it slithers off somewhere to breed.[/quote]

Pieces of typography slithering off to amalgamate is where we got the noble interrobang, however.

I was a little bemused about taking -Magnanimous for turning the thing over to the Rubbery Men, which I would have done even if they’d asked me for it without offering payment, as it seems like an artifact of more cultural and scientific importance to them than it could ever be to the urchins. It does sort of make sense since they were the only ones who were offering to pay in the choice descriptions, but it seems even more arbitrary if you actually do get comparable monetary rewards for siding with an urchin faction. -Steadfast would have made more sense.

Note that I don’t actually care about quirk grinding, I just think it’s interesting when a story seems to be making assumptions about its readers’ reaction to it that don’t pan out. In this case, that siding with the Rubberies is seen as a selfish action seems to imply that no one is expected to be primarily concerned with the Rubberies’ stake in anything concerning the Red Science, or to side with them over the human urchins for their sake rather than for profit.
edited by Ember on 7/1/2016
edited by Ember on 7/1/2016

[quote=Robin Alexander] Think I picked the Fisher-Kings, as they were going to give it to the Bazaar:

read the spoiler above[/quote]

Weird. I picked the Fisher-Kings, too, and I got

A vital intelligence, something of the &quotGreat Game&quot cathegory that I have never seen before. It sells for 12,50 echoes. Or did I earn it sooner and got an enigma too? Now I don’t remember.

This was fun! I enjoyed the humor and the low stakes. It was a bit mechanically complicated but I am running at about 50% capacity right now and I didn’t have too much trouble keeping track of things.

(I did take the Seeking option. I’m sorry.)

Defeating the Fisher-Kings allows you to get the item Strix mentioned, and giving the end reward to them would yield what Alexander has covered with a spoiler tag.

[quote=RandomWalker]Loved this one. Just wish my new friends (okay, temporary allies) had stuck around. This one in particular felt that I’d come away from the whole experience with very little to show for it.

I mean, a couple of 62.5 echo items are nice, but in terms of EPA, and considering the cost of some options, I was hoping for something more. An otherwise unobtainable companion, or a permanent addition to an opportunity card, or something. Oh well. Still loved the story.[/quote]
What exactly is the point of Fallen London if not story? You shouldn’t start thinking about EPA until you’ve already done the storylets in question.[li]

[quote=Stygota]I believe PMs have been sent to everyone who has asked so far.
edited by Stygota on 6/30/2016[/quote]
Could you PM me as well? Sorry for the late-ish request.[li]

Sending PM

[quote=Professor Strix]I loved the story so much. Possible spoilers(?):

[If this forum had the capacity for multiple spoilers, you’d see one here.]

I will miss having the gangs with me, but urchins are meant to be free. I do hope we see more of them later.[/quote]

I decided to give it to the Fisher-Kings because the alternatives seemed to be giving it to Storm or the Rubbery Men (not that I dislike the Rubbery Men, but they almost certainly already have Starved Men corpses). Storm is an angry asshole who keeps driving my zee-captain’s crew insane and distracting my spies in Port Carnelian, so the Fisher-Kings were the natural choice. Besides, the Bazaar could use some love (literally). Even most of the Masters have given up on it.

[li]

This pertains both to my ending (the SMEN ending) and an item acquired along the way.

[spoiler]I believe the ear is probably one of the three seasonal items.

Although, I still have the thing that fell from the ceiling. Either a bug - or, as my ending put it - leftovers.[/spoiler]
edited by Stygota on 7/1/2016

[quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole][quote=Mordaine Barimen]&quot]An expanded opportunity deck: of ten cards instead of six!&quot

Might want to get that stray piece of typography before it slithers off somewhere to breed.[/quote]

Pieces of typography slithering off to amalgamate is where we got the noble interrobang, however.[/quote]
I love the interrobang! It’s my favorite punctuation mark. Why isn’t it used more‽[li]

This has probably been one of the greatest Exceptional Stories yet, speaking as someone who started with the Governess. I loved the urban warfare aspect, the many connections with the rest of the lore, the incredible atmosphere, and the strategy aspects (Do I send an urchin troop out and risk having to go get them later?). I feel rewards aren’t the real point of Fallen London, although I agree that unique items like the Blemmigan Hat are a nice memento to have. It doesn’t really affect my enjoyment of this story.

Can I also get a reward spoiler? I want to know if the Seeking option will significantly advance my SMEN, or if I should take the Searing Enigma to help get Candle A.

I quite enjoyed this story, though I wish I could have kept all my new Urchin companions. I was growing rather fond of them.

PM sent