July Exceptional Story: My Kingdom for a Pig

I don’t like that you have to dig through the opportunity deck to advance the story. I’m having difficulty finding the right cards.

That, I could also live without. I played through two hands before the card showed up, and I wasn’t even sure if it was a card.
Apart from that, an excellent story of course.

[quote=Maria Dasl]
I guess I was curious as to what made it different from the magnanimous choice–if allowing the heart to die was merciful, what did the element of sacrifice change about it? Not sure if that makes sense![/quote]
It personally considered the death bringing to be merciful - I didn’t know back then how close the heart was to naturally dying after all, just that it would be ‘soon’ - but what is soon to a being as old as that? It felt rather cathartic too - a final release of spores upon the ground, growing into new fungal forms as I left.

Well structured story, and well written, but it’s going to need a reset because I got locked out of an option I wanted. Got kind of unclear midway through just how I was going to pick who to take with me (or if they all could come).

Really enjoyed this. Well signposted, well written, and really made you think about some of the choices. Great stuff!

I’m stuck in “Navigating Memory’s Road.” I had the choices of “How does one navigate a memory” for zero actions, “Speak with the GW” for zero actions, or “Peel your skin” for one action. Because the first two pathways led to dead ends, I took the last option over and over again, expecting that once my wounds and nightmares were over a certain high number, a new pathway would open up. No such luck. I seem to be good and stuck. Am I overlooking anything, or is this a bug?

[quote=Nepeta]I’m stuck in “Navigating Memory’s Road.” I had the choices of “How does one navigate a memory” for zero actions, “Speak with the GW” for zero actions, or “Peel your skin” for one action. Because the first two pathways led to dead ends, I took the last option over and over again, expecting that once my wounds and nightmares were over a certain high number, a new pathway would open up. No such luck. I seem to be good and stuck. Am I overlooking anything, or is this a bug?[/quote]Out of curiosity, how high did your Wounds and Nightmares go? I don’t think we’ve seen anyone try to reach the lock at 7 with it yet.

You should look in your opportunity card deck, though. There will be red-bordered cards that you can play to advance the story.

I don’t remember exactly what that stage involves, but that sounds like around about the point where you need to progress through drawing cards. Have you already done the card-drawing part?

I just submitted a help request to support because I am stumped.

My nightmares and wounds were at 1. Now they are both past 8. It took probably 10 turns to get them that high.

I think my mistake may have been in the choice of my companions. I have a GW and the one-eyed Mog with me.

No cards. Auction is over and we’ve been traveling underground.

Yeah, you are absolutely not supposed to push your Wounds and Nightmares up - that option is not necessary for the story at all. Hopefully that support request will clear things up for you!

Well, [redacted], there are cards. Who knew?

Ah. Well, all’s well that ends well, and all manner of things shall be well?

Did someone not check this on the mobile device??? It’s not intuitive that we should check the card deck if we’re not playing the desktop version.

Because this is a exceptional story first, someone needs to add text to the mobile game to check the cards.

Or have there been cards all along that I never thought to check??

Oh, my blood pressure.

This is supposed to be a game, not work.

[quote=Nepeta]Or have there been cards all along that I never thought to check??
[/quote]

There were, and there is that ‘sometimes’ button on mobile to switch here.
edited by Kharsirr Lynx on 7/9/2019

Oh wow. Yeah, I guess this should be signposted a lot better for the mobile version.

I never play on mobile, so this hadn’t occurred to me.

Nepeta: there weren’t any cards before you reached the current location. And you need to play those to continue. So I don’t think you missed anything yet. And you definitely shouldn’t have accidentally locked yourself out of anything.

Thank you, Phryne. I’ve made it past the end.
By the time the storylet ended, I’d enabled articles to reduce my apparent nightmares, but I wasn’t permitted to consume potions before my wounds caught up with me. Ah, well.
The story was engaging enough that I haven’t rage-quit.
Still, the mobile version could stand that check the opportunity deck to proceed notice.

Ouch. Literally and figuratively.