July Exceptional Story: My Kingdom for a Pig

[color=#cc0066]The Exceptional Story for July is here![/color]

[color=#cc0033]A pox has spread across London! Join a crack team of conspirators to infiltrate a high-stakes auction and delve beneath a fungal vineyard in search of a cure. What will you find in the Fifth City’s deepest cellars?[/color]
[font=facitweb-1, facitweb-2, &quotLucida Sans Unicode&quot, &quotLucida Grande&quot, sans-serif][color=rgb(204, 0, 102)]
My Kingdom for a Pig is the second story in the Season of Bargains, and was written by Chandler Groover. In this season you will experience three stories of desperate deals, precarious alliances and prices that must be paid.

Begin with the Season of Bargains card, available throughout London.

Editing and QA: James Chew and Olivia Wood

Art by: Paul Arendt

Exceptional Friendship

In addition to a new, substantial, stand-alone story every month, Exceptional Friends enjoy:

[/color][/font][ul][li][color=rgb(204, 0, 102)]Access to the House of Chimes: an exclusive private members’ club on the Stolen River, packed with content[/color][/li][li][color=rgb(204, 0, 102)]An expanded opportunity deck: of ten cards instead of six![/color][/li][li][color=rgb(204, 0, 102)]A second candle: Twice the actions! 40 at once![/color][/li][/ul][color=rgb(194, 194, 194)][font=facitweb-1, facitweb-2, &quotLucida Sans Unicode&quot, &quotLucida Grande&quot, sans-serif][color=rgb(204, 0, 102)]
Finishing all three stories in the Season of Bargains will make you eligible for an additional opportunity, to follow.

If you want to keep an Exceptional Story beyond its release month, you must complete the related storylet in the current Season’s card. This will save it for you to return to another time.[/color][/font][/color]
edited by James StAnthony on 6/27/2019
edited by James StAnthony on 6/27/2019

PIGGY.

Chandler Groover again! :)

Lovely beginning, but… where do I continue after I unlock the story in Season of Bargains? I got in the Salon, played one action, got thrown out… and now I find no way to continue in the entire map.

You’ll want to draw some cards next!

Also: PIRATE POET PIRATE POET PIRATE POET
edited by Diptych on 6/27/2019

Thank you!

I just have to know! Once you meet your patronThat is, at least for me, her highness, the Captivating Princess; she mentions Beatrice and my choice to allow her to feast on my virtues. Surely the text changes for those who chose differently, no?

I can’t believe of all things this story is referencing the quirk polishers.

This is absolutely great so far! I’m about to enter the Fête, but I just wanted to say how much I love ES which bring together already established characters, and reference other ES. Without spoilers, in this story you’ll receive slightly different snippets of text if you have

• played The Gift[/li][li]played The Calendar Code[/li][li]Acquaintance: The Captivating Princess[/li][li]The Pirate Poet as a companion

and that’s only what I can confirm so far. Having some/several/all items from the Fidgeting Writer storyline probably leads to slightly differing snippets, too.

I believe that some or many players might not have heard of Dr F______ before. Like Optimatum said, he is mentioned in several of the Quirk polishing options from the faction items for increasing Renown, and I’m delighted to finally meet him in person! Here are the snippets which reference him:

https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Turn_over_all_the_resources_of_your_Endowment_to_Dr_F
https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Come_to_the_assistance_of_Dr_F
https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Run_the_rooftops_in_honour_of_&quota_New_Wind&quot
https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Bait_a_horrible_prank_with_your_Skull
edited by phryne on 6/27/2019

Can confirm that I had an option unlocked with (it seems) all of the Fidgeting Writer items.

Like Chandler’s previous stories, this one’s quite long. And quite, quite exceptionally good, and full of deep, deep lore. Like The Rat-Catcher and Cricket, Anyone?, it begins as a rather frivolous story of comedy and intrigue… but eldritch horrors lurk behind that front, and in the end you’ll have to confront them. I’m not there yet. I’m out of actions. But I will go where Dr. F_______ went. I hope I’ll keep some of my skin.

As for tie-in snippets, there’s one more: In Search of a Stiff Drink. Yes, that one. ::

I loved this one! Started off mundane, but quickly went off the rails. I really wonder what the other companions experienced and would love to know. I also am curious about what happens if you pull your skin off.

In the end, the bishop changed forever by eating the center of the Pigs. The Bishop will never be alone again.

The Blemmigan Hat also has a tie in.

Good heavens, the silly rhyming cards rapidly escalated into something quite horrible I think.

Have just hit “Navigating Memory’s Road”, but no turns left, and it’s bedtime. A genuine cliffhanger!

And of course another “Do not do this” option. I love those. There were a couple I even didn’t…

Coward! Never don’t &quotDo not do this&quot is my somewhat confusing approach to that option.

https://i.imgur.com/KvbpsPi.png

This story is awesome. I only want to voice one complaint: hidden qualities. I did something that explicitly told me &quotYou will never be the same person again&quot but I have nothing to show for it - no item for my mantelpiece, no quality for my scrapbook. That’s kind of sad.

Will write no more now, it’s late. But I’m looking forward to speculating about some of the deeper lore implications here…

I’m pretty sure there are now enough distinct entities sharing my body to play bridge. If you counted the various sapients I wear as clothing, we’d probably have a cricket team.

Looks the same as what I had, but the requirements when I hovered my cursor over them were ‘you unlocked this by not having…’ each of the items. Presumably if you had any one of them you would recognize this particular writer.
edited by Vryl on 6/28/2019

I heard from a Doctor friend there’s a branch unlocked by having the medical non-entangled profession.

there’s also a factual error, but i’m not sure how to report it or if i should bother.

[quote=phryne]This story is awesome. I only want to voice one complaint: hidden qualities. I did something that explicitly told me &quotYou will never be the same person again&quot but I have nothing to show for it - no item for my mantelpiece, no quality for my scrapbook. That’s kind of sad.

Will write no more now, it’s late. But I’m looking forward to speculating about some of the deeper lore implications here…[/quote]
There is a quality! I have it on my scrapbook.
edited by Winthropx on 6/28/2019