Jan ES: The Twelve-Fifteen from Moloch Street

Has anyone made any progress researching who might have signed the commission?

Someone educated by a pre-fall astronomer, a mathematician.

I am curious.

Sabotaging the train successfully was well worth it in my opinion, as was going into hell and returning. Good story, for the first Exceptional Story Iā€™ve experienced. Looking forward to part three!

I wasnā€™t sure if weā€™d have to solve the mystery ourselves or if our characters would do it for us, so I drew up a timeline and started researching poisons. I had pretty much the right answer anyway, though I was led astray by a false clue - that the apparently genuine man of the cloth did not know his saints. An effect of soullessness? A lapse in his studies?

Does anyone remain outside at the Gates of Hell? Iā€™m curious about the result; a PM will be appreciated. Thank you!

[quote=Trilby ]3 things:

1. For those who had their stats pushed above the cap, what were your original stats?
  2. Do shepards of souls have any good options down in hell?
  3. Do the soulless or the soul merchants have any benifits?
    edited by Agent ā€˜Trilbyā€™ on 12/29/2016[/quote]

[spoiler]
The stat gain in hell is capped well below 200, so it canā€™t push you over. I should have written down the exact cap number for each stat, they varied but were mostly around 170ish I think.

I was however able to raise subtle over 15 through my choice with the lily.[/spoiler]

Partially through it, but I love the Murder on the Orient Express feel to this exceptional story. As someone raised on Masterpiece mystery, it has a special place in my heart.

this image should be a running gag/FL meme from now on
edited by Addis Rook on 12/30/2016

Iā€™m looking for the echoes for [spoiler]successful sabotaging.

Also different results when you choose to turn over the wrong person. The priest, the servant, the wife.

I turned over the Disgraced Dignitary. It seems like most people did. I decided to frolic around exploring Hellā€™s hinterlands while the train was being repaired. I wanted to get enough of that musical quality to go visit the princess of hell, but time ran out for me. I visited every available place at least once and revisited two of them twice, plus helped with the repair work once. That was apparently enough to lock me out of visiting the princess.

Anyway, I loved this story, in a way that I canā€™t actually articulate! It just meant a lot to me to finally be able to see Hell.[/spoiler]

I really liked parts of the story, and really disliked others.

The murder mystery, in my opinion was pretty disappointing for me. I was told beforehand that the murderer would be automatically revealed, and so the entire mystery carried very little meaning for me. As someone before me said, it is disappointingly linear at times. No one attempted to bribe me or give me some choice in the mystery beyond ā€˜click buttons to continue examining cool train in hopes of ending this boring investigationā€™. The stop at Henlys didnā€™t help with the feeling, and served as a distraction from the mystery.

Henlys itself had great writing, but bad mechanics. I greatly enjoyed the Descend text (which I had to find in someone elseā€™s echoes), along with exploration. The way you sabotage the train is also hilarious, but the strict predetermination of the ending left me disappointed and unable to do the ending for the stop at Henlys I actually wanted to.

The end choices of the ES are also disappointingly simple. Do you like the Devils/Hell? If yes, just do what they tell you to. If not, do any other option. There was no hard choice here, only knowing basic stuff about your character.

I wonā€™t say much about visiting Hell, except that the text there is A+ and you should check it out, along with the fact that I lost 10-30 levels in all of my stats when entering. I suspect this is due to me equipping nothing else but a Talkative Rattus Faber in an attempt to game the system. It seems that Hell checks your modified stats instead of your base stats when deciding the effects Hell will have on them. Due to me having lowered modified stats, the game changed my base ones to very roughly match them.

Incidentally, for those who freed the Lilyā€¦ is this the first queer NPC wedding in Fallen London?

Just thought Iā€™d say it since I donā€™t think anyone else has yetā€¦

Next time I tell someone to go to Hell, I can recommend the bl__dy sights!
[li]

For those interested in alternate options at the Gates of Hell:

[spoiler]You can find the option for consigning the Hawker to Hell here: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hark%20DeGaul?fromEchoId=10641937

And for consigning the reverend here: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hebediah%20Fix?fromEchoId=10641898

I would not recommend either of them to anybody. I chose both out of a desire to be a completionist, reasoning that in the first case I had doomed everyone anyway by not sabotaging the train so the least guilty shoul benefit from her masterā€™s spoils and that in the second I could perhaps argue that putting a reverend in Hell was a victory for the Church. I regret everything and I think thatā€™s the point.[/spoiler]
edited by Hark DeGaul on 12/30/2016

Iā€™m finding that many people are having issues with both descending and successfully sabotaging the train while in Henlys, while a few have mentioned doing both easily. For anyone in the latter category, would you mind educating us on how you were able to do both? Iā€™ve just arrived there myself and would like to do both, but this time-limited system feels a bit intimidating and Iā€™d rather not screw something up with an unlucky click of the mouse.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 12/30/2016

If you have 3+ Sabotage by the time you descent, the game will automatically sabotage the train for you while you descend.

I think it might be, yes. I love it. =D

Despite entering Hell with Hebediah and being told that my stats had changed (I forget the specifics but I think my Watchful became 180 and my Shadowy 173. Certainly all four stats went down) my stats have actually not changed and remain exactly what they were before entering Hell.

[quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]Iā€™m finding that many people are having issues with both descending and successfully sabotaging the train while in Henlys, while a few have mentioned doing both easily. For anyone in the latter category, would you mind educating us on how you were able to do both? Iā€™ve just arrived there myself and would like to do both, but this time-limited system feels a bit intimidating and Iā€™d rather not screw something up with an unlucky click of the mouse.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 12/30/2016[/quote]

Though the option to descend originally had requirement of at most 2 sabotage, when I reached 3 sabotage, the option was replaced by a near identical option with a requirement of 3 or more. When I descended (having missed the exact number of sabotage and repair values to pick the specific delayed departure option), I was automatically notified that the train had been successfully delayed.

[quote=Scienceandponies][quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]Iā€™m finding that many people are having issues with both descending and successfully sabotaging the train while in Henlys, while a few have mentioned doing both easily. For anyone in the latter category, would you mind educating us on how you were able to do both? Iā€™ve just arrived there myself and would like to do both, but this time-limited system feels a bit intimidating and Iā€™d rather not screw something up with an unlucky click of the mouse.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 12/30/2016[/quote]

Though the option to descend originally had requirement of at most 2 sabotage, when I reached 3 sabotage, the option was replaced by a near identical option with a requirement of 3 or more. When I descended (having missed the exact number of sabotage and repair values to pick the specific delayed departure option), I was automatically notified that the train had been successfully delayed.[/quote]

That makes a lot more sense now and I wish that was made clearer, since Iā€™d been under the impression descending locked you out of successfully sabotaging the train, only achievable by getting exact values in all three qualities. This would also have made my goal of seeing as much possible flavour text about Henlys and suchā€¦ermā€¦possible, given that I wouldnā€™t have needed to worry about getting anything but sabotage values up before the Drums reached 8.

For me the frustration with the mechanic was a matter of feeling forced out of character when there was a way to be in character, and seeing all my efforts being negated. After all, I can just read other peopleā€™s echoes of the content I missed. It just really disrupted the narrative of the moment and took away from my enjoyment of some of my favourite subject matter that I will always enjoy exploring regardless of who ends up writing it really. Demons + Hell Lore + Murder Mystery (is being murdered on the way to Hell even more redundant than being regularly murdered in Fallen London? These are the questions that need answers!) spells out an instant recipe for my personal enjoyment, particularly in a setting and world Iā€™ve come to love and invest so heavily in since I discovered it earlier this year.
[li][/li][li]
edited by Indigo Clardmond on 12/30/2016

so just about to embark but was wondering, if you [SPOILER] sabotage the train and then later free the passengers [SPOILER] do you still get the chance to enter Hell?

[li]

Yep.