Jan ES: The Twelve-Fifteen from Moloch Street

My main, cathyr19355, has just Echoed the “Descent” storylet from “12"15 from Moloch Street” to her Journal. It has … interesting implications.

[quote=MidnightVoyager] <snip>

Not sure it was really worth it.[/quote]

Midnight:

[spoiler] I was able to delay the train–I had Saboteur’s Progress 4 when I realized that every option was locked for me EXCEPT &quotDescent.&quot It is true that once you reach &quotPiper’s&quot quality at 8, you can neither delay nor aid the repairs any longer, though. [ /spoiler]
edited by cathyr19355 on 12/29/2016
edited by cathyr19355 on 12/29/2016

I missed out on sabotage anyway, wanting to descend. Should be finishing soon.

So far my thoughts are thus: surprised by the seemingly higher amount of Shakespeare, amused by the more traditionally Christian stuff put forward (it almost feels out of place, being so used to neathy church talk, but it’s welcome to see), and most importantly it’s a murder mystery, on a train, to Hell! Right up my alley! More info on hell and the Moloch St Train, plus more Hell Royalty are always a plus

Drat. I’d really like to do the option that was opened by sabotage, but I got stuck descending, something that I don’t know has any use whatsoever other than text.

Now I can’t decide what other option to pick.

All this looks great and probably this will be my new favourite season!
Someone knows if there are different options for soulless or if any options gives one the possibility to regain the “lost” smoky puff?

Venturing beyond the gates of Hell was certainly… educational.

Uh oh writers, you broke poor Fleshy again. And right when he was celebrating his victory, too! :P

The poor conductor. Looks like Fleshy will have another addition to the Sad drawing

That said, wow was this story fun! A murder mystery, a sightseeing tour in a place we’ve never been to before, AND a chance to p*ss off Hell! We have a winner! Too bad I had to end it RPing as Mopey Fleshy, but he’ll get over it eventually. He always does :P
edited by Kukapetal on 12/29/2016

Going through the Gate worked…pretty well. I’m curious if others had such fortune or if it’s a random thing.

For reference:

the stats shown on the left were my totals before going through, and before updating, the results shows how they changed. Can’t get the link to work so just copy paste the url Imgur: The magic of the Internet

edited by Cthonius on 12/29/2016

So I know it might have been obvious by the Season’s name, but it looks like we’ve enough info to gather what’s going on to some extent

we’re seeing the setup for how London will join the High Wilderness. Usage of Red Science, protection from Sunlight, and whatever will come from the Gate-Prophet story

That was quite educational to me as well. A lot better than I could have expected. Curiosity didn’t kill the cat this time, but invigorated her instead!

Err, so is the interaction when entering that place bugged? I believe I gained something like 30+ levels shadowy, bringing me up to a slick 138

Also, any thoughts about the relevance of the greek imagery when descending, especially so Dionysus’ Thyrsus and Zeuz’s adamantium throne? Mentions of fallen princesses also point in the direction of our dear Traitor Empress Victoria
edited by Cantankerous Captain on 12/29/2016

I’ve long wondered just what the hell is up with Moloch Street Station and why there are so many soulless people getting on its trains. You’d think they wouldn’t want to do that? So I’m really looking forward to this story ^_^

btw, are there any references to Murder on the Orient Express?

It is essentially a Fallen London adaption of the Murder on the Orient express, down to specific details

My, my. Highly admiring, in many ways. A slightly different Express, and well done.

Personally, I found time management difficult, but suppose those are the wares of the unwary. I’d caution others here not to fear retracing their steps, nor to fear the drums.

In all, I found this a rather safe story — and while I’m not complaining, one would think murder and Hell would bring more peril.

My only complaint is that I would have liked to keep the pocketwatch — being a collector of timepieces, of a sort.

Really enjoyed this!!! The murder mystery was different and a lot of fun, and the devils have always been my favourite faction so learning more about Hell (!!) and what they get up to was exciting. I only became an Exceptional Friend last month and I’m so glad it was for this season, love where it’s headed and looking forward to next month’s story!

It may be just me, but I think some of the options in the Henlys have multiple responses.

[spoiler] When going to the circle with five Piper’s Call as Hebediah I got the following:

The climb to the stones is considerable. There are withered, leafless trees here, amongst the stony grass. Fog cloaks the stones on the hill in an eery mantle.

A figure waits by the circle, recognisable only by the plume of smoke emerging from his cigar. The Louche Bohemian gestures down at the gaping gorge. &quotMonstrous thing, isn’t it? Don’t get too close. Hell has caged one of their own below. These were once the gates to her realm.&quot

However, when going to the circle with no Piper’s Call with Hark I got this:

Off for a stroll? I think I’m in the mood for some light exercise myself.&quot The Louche Bohemian falls into step beside you. He offers a few congenial sips from his hip-flask. &quotCan’t trust the water here. Brackish – or worse – I’d hazard.&quot

The terrain is rough-going. The higher one climbs, the thicker the fog, and the steeper the incline.

The stones emerge from the shroud suddenly. They stand in a circle, leaning against each other for support. On one is inscribed drums, on another a pipe. The Louche Bohemian insists you do not linger long. [/spoiler]

Edit: On further experimentation the gorge also has multiple flavour texts. I’d be interested in knowing if the writing and the moor do to, as I didn’t come across any.
edited by Hark DeGaul on 12/29/2016
edited by Hark DeGaul on 12/29/2016

My unmodified stats now are W228, S202, D218, and P248 (!). I know that this is a bug which will be fixed (mailed support already), but I wanted to share this anyway.
edited by ropewalker on 12/29/2016

3 things:

1. For those who had their stats pushed above the cap, what were your original stats?
  2. Do shepards of souls have any good options down in hell?
  3. Do the soulless or the soul merchants have any benifits?
    edited by Agent ‘Trilby’ on 12/29/2016

Soul merchant got me onto the train without bribery.

1. Mine were W215, S196 (or so), D200, P200.