is this... just a thing that happens? (lodgings)

Um. So, I bought the lodgings above the gambling den as part of my ongoing ‘own all the houses’ effort, and…

is it normal to be sent a bag of dead rats with a vaguely threatening note about how you are a sinner and they are your bedmates and christ’s gonna smite you? no, really, I have no idea why an angry prophet person is sending me rats…

As in, on your Messages tab? Could be an angry Bishop supporter, I guess… That’s not related to the Den, not in my knowledge.

Yeah, there are no messages like that for buying any of the lodgings.

it specifically references my lodgings. I’m so confused.

(1 hours ago) The Furious Prophet (The Furious Prophet in Fallen London) has sent you a gift of rats! You’ve gained 100 x Rat on a String (new total 125). “You open the door to your room, unable to hear the sounds of the flies buzzing about within over the noise of the gambling den below. The smell hits you in an instant, and it’s not hard to tell where it’s coming from. There, on your bed, lies the bloody sack of dead rats. Its stench has filled the entire room and attracted many a curious fly. No doubt it’ll leave quite the stain on your bedsheets. Along with all these lovely details comes a note, attached to the sack. “VERMIN AMONGST VERMIN - SINNERS AMONGST SINNERS - FIND COMFORT IN THE WRITHING, LURID MASS GRAVE OF THINE BEDMATES TIL THE LORD’S WRATH CASTS LIGHT ON THINE FILTHY AND HIDDEN SINS OF THE DARKNESS AND YOU ARE LEFT EXPOSED TO THE FURY OF CHRIST.” How nice.”

So, uh, if you want rats and a side of judgement I guess they’re being given out if you move into a gambling place?

That is… very odd. Definitely from a player, though.

(Edit to echo Mordaine below: sorry that you received such an unpleasant message!)
edited by Barselaar on 7/12/2016

That is some other player doing that, not the game itself. And they are being particularly unpleasant to boot. I’m sorry that they are being that way to you.

Thanks peeps. Was trying to work out if it was game-based, if somebody’s sending this stuff out for anyone else, or if I attracted their notice by playing my libertine poet here on the forums.

Strike one option off. Still confused! …But hey, free rats.

The Furious Prophet is currently my alt’s protege. He’s just kind of like that.
Great fun to RP with as long as you don’t mind rats or being assaulted.

Hostile RP without asking (or at least warning) first seems a bit of a faux pas.

[quote=Eglantine-Fox]Um. So, I bought the lodgings above the gambling den as part of my ongoing ‘own all the houses’ effort, and…

is it normal to be sent a bag of dead rats with a vaguely threatening note about how you are a sinner and they are your bedmates and christ’s gonna smite you? no, really, I have no idea why an angry prophet person is sending me rats…[/quote]

The Furious Prophet, right? I got a message from them a few days ago. I thought it was an official FL account for the Election. I didn’t know until now it was another player though. ._.

How unpolite! Doesn’t he know that sending dead rats is considered a good thing in the Neath? If you truly want to insult a londoner you send live rats.

I’m sure they weren’t intending to offend, but I agree. I’ll ask them to tone it down a little, or at least ask them not to send hostile RPs to strangers.

I understand its a bit disconcerting, but you have to admire the quality of the message. I usually send something along the lines of &quothere’s a sack of dead rats. Enjoy&quot
edited by IgnatuStone on 7/12/2016

Also if anyone feels like sending me threatening messages feel free if they’re as well written as the Prophet’s.
edited by IgnatuStone on 7/12/2016

[quote=IgnatuStone]I understand its a bit disconcerting, but you have to admire the quality of the message. I usually send something along the lines of &quothere’s a sack of dead rats. Enjoy&quot
edited by IgnatuStone on 7/12/2016[/quote]

I agree entirely. The quality is fantastic (how I would love to be threatened so!). But really, sending that to someone you have never interacted with … Very Bad Form, it could be taken as a personal (rather than in-game) threat or insult.

[li]

In case you are wondering how they knew your lodging, people can see your current lodging on your profile page. Perhaps you had it as the active one at that time.

Or it was a lucky guess. Most players own the common, low cost ones.

It is a shame that they are so negative, though.[li]
edited by th8827 on 7/12/2016

I ran into someone like that once… Crazy buggers.

All is well, got an apology sent my way, and it was mostly just the confusion and startlement in the first place. I don’t think anybody expects that out of the blue - or out of the Neathy murk, as it were.

[quote=Amelia Syrus]
The Furious Prophet, right? I got a message from them a few days ago. I thought it was an official FL account for the Election. I didn’t know until now it was another player though. ._.[/quote]
Glad I’m not the only one who was confused on that score.

This… opens so many pathways. Hang on, I must send off some rats.

Sorry for your experience, it certanly wasn’t nice.
Having said so, I absolutely want to RP with this fool now.
edited by Zero on 7/13/2016