is this... just a thing that happens? (lodgings)

So do I. The Prophet sounds rather delightful, if you’re forewarned.

Anyway, official game stuff doesn’t use social actions. Just fire the wiki up and compare it to other social actions.

Hey, every one has their style of interaction. Don’t grill/hate the guy for his/hers, m’kay?

Just go with the flow and don’t get salty.
>If it’s someone who’s just having fun - have fun with 'em!
>If it’s a hater/troll - don’t give them the reaction they want and instead - you guessed it, have fun once again!

This concludes, Mad Goomy’s Lecture on Social Interaction. Peace!

[quote=Sir Goomy]Hey, every one has their style of interaction. Don’t grill/hate the guy for his/hers, m’kay?

Just go with the flow and don’t get salty.
>If it’s someone who’s just having fun - have fun with 'em!
>If it’s a hater/troll - don’t give them the reaction they want and instead - you guessed it, have fun once again!

This concludes, Mad Goomy’s Lecture on Social Interaction. Peace![/quote]
Everyone has their style of interaction, but basic common courtesy should still apply. If I randomly messaged you in a threatening manner, you shouldn’t be expected to just roll with it. People are allowed to have fun, sure, but their fun shouldn’t be at the expense of others.
Even moreso when it could easily be interpreted as a feature of the game, as was the case here with both recipients getting that impression.

It seems the matter at hand has been dealt with anyway, and I’m glad this thread was created so that others in a similar situation could be made aware of that action. But as a general rule of thumb: If you want to RP, that’s perfectly fine. Just try to make sure the other person is okay with it too, before you begin. :-)

[quote]Everyone has their style of interaction, but basic common courtesy should still apply. If I randomly messaged you in a threatening manner, you shouldn’t be expected to just roll with it. People are allowed to have fun, sure, but their fun shouldn’t be at the expense of others.
Even moreso when it could easily be interpreted as a feature of the game, as was the case here with both recipients getting that impression.

It seems the matter at hand has been dealt with anyway, and I’m glad this thread was created so that others in a similar situation could be made aware of that action. But as a general rule of thumb: If you want to RP, that’s perfectly fine. Just try to make sure the other person is okay with it too, before you begin. :-)[/quote]

Courtesy is nice and all, but not everyone grows learning and adhering to the same rules of communication that most societies force-feed and deem as normal.

As such, there are people out there that never learn how to be &quotcourteous&quot or &quottactful&quot. And that, is perfectly fine. They shouldn’t be shunned or judged because they communicate in a different matter than you or me. Nor should any one be offended by that. If Person A gets his jimmies rustled because Person B didn’t say the things he is expected by some to say - Person A should either grow up and understand that people are different, and that difference should be appreciated if not respected or…they should just get a thicker skin (having both is the most desirable of course).

Knowing all that and having my share of experience in matters regarding such (i.e matters on society, communication and so) - that is the main reason why in my previous post I implied that you should just &quotroll with it&quot as the best course of action - because this way you avoid disrespecting others that may just want to have fun without harboring any ill-will towards you, you avoid getting offended or &quotsalty&quot in anyway since this is the most neutral way of interacting, allowing you also to discern if the person is either an &quotinnocent&quot or a &quotBloody B*stard" and in the case that they DO have something bad in mind for you - you rob them out of the pleasure to inact it by not giving them what they expect to provoke (i.e a negative reactions of any sort). In short, it’s a win-win way to go.

On a last note regarding the confusion of the &quotOP’s reply being a part of the game&quot - well, the Prophet dude ain’t really at fault for being such a good RP writter. Nor is OP to blame either. It’s the interface’s fault really. ( Sorry FBG, don’t hate me.)

N.B - If someone perceives my wall of text as Ad hominem of any variety, it is not. I didn’t write any of it out of anger or any other silly negative emotion. Just wanted to make a point that is also a very valid one in my eyes.

Victim blaming?

No, he is just saying that not everyone is familiar with internet courtesy (for example, might be a kid or new to the Internet) and it is probably better not to be too hard on the Prophet.

But &quotgo along&quot isn’t necessarily the best option in all situation, because RP is a mutual thing as well and people do have their preference. :)
edited by Estelle Knoht on 7/13/2016

I’ll need to remember this for next time and I’d like to be warned ahead of time if someone wants to rp with me. Using messages/social actions is a bit different to me than rping in a forum.

Believe me, I tried. I RPed with really pleasant people, and it is wonderful when the social actions add to the context of the, er, text. Insanely messy, on the other hand, which is a huge problem for lazy people like me. It is also not particularly conductive to three or more people.

Welp, serves me right for expressing a neutral view point that took no sides. A view point that I brought out in the pure spirit and hope of helping people understand each other a little bit better.

Well, at least Estelle kind of got what I ment - And yes I agree with you that RP is a mutual thing and so on - the point was that people should try to respect each other and their differences and that before judgment of any kind be made, &quotthe fog&quot between two individuals should be cleared out through appopriate / neutral communication. A.k.a the &quotGo with it&quot method (which is just one way to go about things and not the &quotmust be&quot one, but it’s something that I personally have tried through out the years and it has helped close the gap between many a gaps).

Rough Example:

I recieve a note from a complete stranger saying &quot Hey, what’s up you fudgetart ? :D&quot

My options are:

A) Get offended because someone called me a &quotword&quot.

B) Apply &quotGo with it method&quot to better understand this person’s intentions. Do they mean that as an insult or is this just how they communicate?
I select option (B).
My reply is: &quotNothing much you dingle-berry, how are you, what up with you, man? :D&quot

After conversing with the person, I can then decide if they are a butt or are they just expressing themselves in their own way and style without really meaning anything bad.

If the later is valid - I would appreciate their difference and just carry on. (Like I stated in the hated-for-no-real-reason past reply - people are different, have different understandings of things and as such communicate differently - and that is a fine and beautiful thing to which no one should take any offence.)

As such, no salt, no-disrespect, no problems!

Oh and lastly:
[b]Jermaine Vendredi

[/b]Mate, as I stated in that reply in the N.B part - It was not an attack towards anybody. It was no attack at all. Just a viewpoint and opinion made in good grace.

I’ll shut up now. Happy disliking I guess, since I have a feeling people will still not get what I’m trying to say. Even so, I stick to my words.
edited by Sir Goomy on 7/13/2016

No, you make a valid point. Random roleplaying is fair and sometimes a good way to meet new people. I was just incredibly confused if they were an official account or not which I guess speaks of the volumes of their skills. So it’s hard to tell with that alone if they’re a roleplayer or not… well until this thread was made.

There’s also the option of simply ignoring or declining a social action too if someone does not desire to be social. It’s really the player’s choice in the end what can be deemed as being friendly or not.

Courtesy is nice and all, but not everyone grows learning and adhering to the same rules of communication that most societies force-feed and deem as normal.

As such, there are people out there that never learn how to be &quotcourteous&quot or &quottactful&quot. And that, is perfectly fine. They shouldn’t be shunned or judged because they communicate in a different matter than you or me. Nor should any one be offended by that. If Person A gets his jimmies rustled because Person B didn’t say the things he is expected by some to say - Person A should either grow up and understand that people are different, and that difference should be appreciated if not respected or…they should just get a thicker skin (having both is the most desirable of course).

Knowing all that and having my share of experience in matters regarding such (i.e matters on society, communication and so) - that is the main reason why in my previous post I implied that you should just &quotroll with it&quot as the best course of action - because this way you avoid disrespecting others that may just want to have fun without harboring any ill-will towards you, you avoid getting offended or &quotsalty&quot in anyway since this is the most neutral way of interacting, allowing you also to discern if the person is either an &quotinnocent&quot or a &quotBloody B*stard&quot and in the case that they DO have something bad in mind for you - you rob them out of the pleasure to inact it by not giving them what they expect to provoke (i.e a negative reactions of any sort). In short, it’s a win-win way to go.

On a last note regarding the confusion of the &quotOP’s reply being a part of the game&quot - well, the Prophet dude ain’t really at fault for being such a good RP writter. Nor is OP to blame either. It’s the interface’s fault really. ( Sorry FBG, don’t hate me.)

N.B - If someone perceives my wall of text as Ad hominem of any variety, it is not. I didn’t write any of it out of anger or any other silly negative emotion. Just wanted to make a point that is also a very valid one in my eyes.[/quote]
There are two things here I’d like to address. The first is tactfulness. Tact has many definitions (if google is any judge), but it’s common usage is avoiding hurting others. If someone does not think that hurting others is a practice best avoided, then they are, almost by definition, not that great a guy (or lady). There are plausible limits to (and a great deal of controversy about) how far out of their way a person should go to avoid it, but as a general principle I think it falls under the category of a &quotbest practice.&quot Sure people make mistakes and a little humility goes a long way in smoothing things over, but there is a difference between &quotaccident&quot and &quotdidn’t care enough about others to think something though.&quot

The second is that a person is not &quotdisrespecting others&quot simply by not wanting to be disrespected. You make it sound as though any way a person can be prevented from &quothaving fun&quot is a form of disrespect. Reductio ad absurdum could be used to find many examples of this you would probably not agree with.

If I can chip in to this debate the thread has become? I’d just like to point out that some people have more reasons than others to wonder if a thing is personal, or to feel uncomfortable echoes of how actual people have the potential to treat them? And that is not our fault. It doesn’t mean we’re ‘just too sensitive.’

I would say that consideration of other’s comfort is most important in interacting with them here. For a lot of people, their characters, their private, secret worlds and stories, are safe, sacred places that they don’t necessarily want disturbed out of their plan. You really can throw someone out of the zone with that kind of insulting banter out of nowhere and harsh the mellow. This can be a very meditative experience, if you wish it to be.

so.

If you’re going to random RP, please do not start off immediately with insulting/inflammatory/other kinds of &quotstrongly flavored&quot interactions such as that unless the considered person is the type that is open to that kind of RP. I understand that it adds spontaneity and fun to your world, but consider that for some people, this world is their safe mental place. Their sanctuary. A place where they can be vulnerable and closer to who they truly are inside. Please don’t make them feel unsafe here.

Fallen London is a very unique experience. While for you it might be a game you play for fun and giggles (If that is actually the case), consider that for some people, it’s much more than that.

Please don’t think I’m trying to boss you around or judge you or something, It’s just that I have certain feelings I’m trying to put into words about this and only partially succeeding at doing.
edited by Addis Rook on 7/14/2016

[quote=Addis Rook]I would say that consideration of other’s comfort is most important in interacting with them here. For a lot of people, their characters, their private, secret worlds and stories, are safe, sacred places that they don’t necessarily want disturbed out of their plan. You really can throw someone out of the zone with that kind of insulting banter out of nowhere and harsh the mellow. This can be a very meditative experience, if you wish it to be.

so.

If you’re going to random RP, please do not start off immediately with insulting/inflammatory/other kinds of &quotstrongly flavored&quot interactions such as that unless the considered person is the type that is open to that kind of RP. I understand that it adds spontaneity and fun to your world, but consider that for some people, this world is their safe mental place. Their sanctuary. A place where they can be vulnerable and closer to who they truly are inside. Please don’t make them feel unsafe here.

Fallen London is a very unique experience. While for you it might be a game you play for fun and giggles (If that is actually the case), consider that for some people, it’s much more than that.

Please don’t think I’m trying to boss you around or judge you or something, It’s just that I have certain feelings I’m trying to put into words about this and only partially succeeding at doing.
edited by Addis Rook on 7/14/2016[/quote]

Don’t worry friend, I understand you, and just to be clear - I never went against such notions as the ones you are expressing. No, nothing like that. The whole point to this &quotflare&quot of mine was to say that:

&quotPeople that you (well, not you personally, but generally) perceive at first as butts, may not in reality be such for there are reasons for them to communicate like that. Reasons that aren’t, by the good chance, spawned out of malevolence, but potentially, by culture, society, etc. As such, don’t be harsh nor do you feel offended by them. Just communicate and clear things out. Then do what you must do. Carry on.&quot

And that’s it. I don’t defend evil people, nor do I stand behind those who would willingly mistreat others. That will never be. My goal, I shall reapeat one final time, was just to try and help people understand each other. I admit thought, I did kind of unintentionally blew this out of proportions a bit, but blame for that my passion.

Now as much as I want to further try and clear out other misunderstandings (I’m looking in a non-threating nor bad-willed way, at you MrBurnside), I feel that this &quotthing&quot has gone far enough. I say we put it to rest, have tea and have a generally good day.

P.S - Feel free to P.M me here or in-game with your hate or whatever fancy you may have. Peace!

Don’t worry about it. Given the transgressions described it must have been meant for me, since I stayed at that place until I moved recently, receiving the same message earlier. Keep the rats to repay your inconvenience. There will always be deluded idiots seeking to ‘educate’ others with wisdom they found in fairytales, unable to address the reality of their own desires.

It was not meant for you, nor did I ever send you that message. If you received that same message, it was from someone else, or you did not receive that message, and you are lying. Thank you for calling me a deluded idiot, though. I love you, too.
I apologize for any inconvenience I have caused anyone in this thread - I sent Eglantine an apology quite a few days ago now. I appreciate all the compliments on my writing, and since the incident with Eglantine, I have limited The Furious Prophet to only responding to RP invites and RPing with players who have made it clear they don’t mind his peculiarities.
To answer some questions, no, I am not new to the Internet. No, I am not a child. Yes, I am a bit of a deluded idiot. The Furious Prophet was, and is (depending on how long I continue to play him), an experiment in RPing a madman of Old Testament obsession and seeing how popular he could get and what he would do in his lifetime of screaming Revelations and ‘enacting the wrath of God.’
Thank you all for the compliments, though! I never was aware people thought the Prophet was anything more than a deluded idiot behind a keyboard.

I’m certain Gideon was replying in-character and RP-ing. I’m sure they weren’t speaking about you – the player – but your character – the Prophet.

I, for example, quite admire your writing and style – but I do not handle confrontation well so I did not speak up or offer to RP with you. I wouldn’t mind interacting with you – as you are clearly a skilled writer – but I would have real-life problems interacting with your Prophet as it would distress me to receive that sort of RP.

Just sayin’.

To be perfectly honest, I was confused seeing Gideon’s post here and was not sure how to take it. If it is an In Character response than this isn’t the forum or thread for it. Further more, I think we’ve thoroughly pointed out the issues in play and discussed what to do as best as possible. In some ways not so much and with rather pungent words as well.

Eglantine has gotten an apology and the roleplayer behind the Prophet has already spoken of what they have changed since then. I think as far as discussions have gone, this has ended and there’s no need to dredge this further for debate.

I should probably just step away, my apologies for jumping in. Thanks Amelia.