Is there any way to opt-out of mobs?

I didn’t want this. I didn’t solicit it. Now I’m forced to sacrifice hard-won second chances, or accept huge amounts of menace, because some idiot found my name somehow. Somebody I’ve never spoken to, and definitely didn’t provoke.[li]

Is there any way to opt out? Or should I just give up on election content, and maybe the game?

I wonder if I’m the idiot who mobbed you? Apologies if I was.

You can change your career at any time, and you won’t lose your item. Just pick Campaigner or Fixer, and mobs won’t bother you anymore.

EDIT: To clarify, the option is under the &quotThe Mayoral Election 1895&quot storylet.
EDIT2: And if your Scandal or Suspicion ended up particularly high, you can ask a Fixer to, ah, fix that for you.
edited by Slyblue on 6/27/2017

It was not you. Thank you for giving me a workaround. I wrote my post in anger (this is probably evident) and I apologize if anyone was upset or offended. But I really did not like this, and I don’t want this sort of sanctioned trolling to become part of the game. In the past social actions have always been beneficial, and optional. I do not appreciate this break from tradition.

Just change your career - being an Agitator is all about street combat. I’d go with Campaigner - there is an oversupply of Fixers at the moment.

Unfortunately you unwittingly solicited it when you became an agitator. As said above, if it’s becoming oppressive you could switch your career, but I believe you’ll lose half your election career progress.

Edit: Too slow! Scooped!
edited by Plynkes on 6/27/2017

It only happens to you if you opt in - just like Knife and Candle.

And this change is in response to feedback from the last election, where lots of people who played Agitators were disappointed that they couldn’t fight each other in the streets.

Seems Failbetter dropped the ball on Agitators, the menaces are almost impossible to deal with.

Personally I’d consider it a good idea to both lower the menaces an agitator can inflict, and to let agitators attack fixers and campaigners, too. This way, fixers and agitators have more to do and the mobbing is more spread out.

Glad to know it wasn’t me. I -have- been mobbing people at random, but like people pointed out, I figured everyone knew what they were getting into.

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]Seems Failbetter dropped the ball on Agitators, the menaces are almost impossible to deal with.

Personally I’d consider it a good idea to both lower the menaces an agitator can inflict, and to let agitators attack fixers and campaigners, too. This way, fixers and agitators have more to do and the mobbing is more spread out.[/quote]

Thing is, Campaigners and Fixers can’t fight back. They don’t have the option to lead a counter-attack, or they don’t want to–otherwise, they would’ve chosen to be Agitators.

EDIT: i kan grammar gud

[quote=Slyblue]Glad to know it wasn’t me. I -have- been mobbing people at random, but like people pointed out, I figured everyone knew what they were getting into.

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]Seems Failbetter dropped the ball on Agitators, the menaces are almost impossible to deal with.

Personally I’d consider it a good idea to both lower the menaces an agitator can inflict, and to let agitators attack fixers and campaigners, too. This way, fixers and agitators have more to do and the mobbing is more spread out.[/quote]

Thing is, Campaigners and Fixers can’t fight back. They don’t have the option to lead a counter-attack, or they don’t want to–otherwise, they would’ve chosen to be Agitators.

EDIT: i kan grammar gud
edited by Slyblue on 6/27/2017[/quote]
That’s the interesting part, since it would encourage more co-ordination between sides, launching strikes on figurehead, patching up your own side’s most notable players, etc.

I think the system is best as is. Right now you can only be attacked if you agree to it. People who don’t want that sort of game play can simply go around with a little tin collecting donations. Meanwhile, the people who want to get their knuckles bloody can beat the hell out of each other with zero guilt. And if someone chooses to become an Agitator without really understanding what they were getting into, or they just don’t find it all that fun, they can always switch to a more peaceful career.
edited by Anne Auclair on 6/27/2017

I became an agitator because it fit my character, RP-wise. Though I read something about mobs here, I had no idea that it could be done by some random person just pushing a button next to your name. I assumed I would have to provoke it. I’m still annoyed that I can’t play the game I want to play it. Mobbing locks you out of campaigning, and by the time you escape the mob either you’ve used up a pile of second chances or your menaces are so high… you’re locked out of campaigning until you find a way to reduce them. It’s supremely annoying.

Yes, I get some people wanted this, and yes, I get that a lot of people enjoy it. But some don’t. I’m a long time player, and I’ve enjoyed social actions in the past (though I never got into K&C for exactly this reason). One of the reasons I came to FL, and why I’ve stayed so long, is because the game doesn’t allow random harassment, and works to be actively inclusive and friendly.

This is not friendly. I don’t think it’s my fault for not reading every scrap of information I could find online before I “opted in” by choosing one of three supposedly equal professions.

If you don’t enjoy Agitator mobs, then you can be a Campaigner or a Fixer (who have options are are inclusive and friendly). What’s the problem?

I’d like to throw in, the agitating is pretty darn fun. I was almost going to suggest the menace cards should be more frequent, since I’ve been mobbed six-ish times and only drawn a Mob card once… I like choosing a random person and messing with them, and I like it being officially sanctioned so I don’t have to worry about being an actual bad guy and randomly ratting/poisoning/etc people for no reason. And it’s probably good that you can only agitate those that can counter-agitate you.

It definitely would be pretty annoying if you didn’t know what you were getting into, though. I can totally see the frustration.

Pretty much what Anne says. However, I don’t think anyone is blaming you, OP, and perhaps we do need a bigger warning next time. After all, not many people know what K&C was, or even browse the forum for information.

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]
That’s the interesting part, since it would encourage more co-ordination between sides, launching strikes on figurehead, patching up your own side’s most notable players, etc.[/quote]
I think it would be interesting too, but as things are, it’d be either really hard to balance, or it’d be a game played by the 10-20 people who keep up with the elections step-by-step. If you become a figurehead, have IRL take you away from the game, and return to find you’ve gone insane, jailed and died at the same time, many people would be…Erm, angry. Really angry.

A very noticeable warning label explaining the risks of being an Agitator might be the best solution.

[quote=Slyblue]Pretty much what Anne says. However, I don’t think anyone is blaming you, OP, and perhaps we do need a bigger warning next time. After all, not many people even know what K&C was, or even browse the forum for information.

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]
That’s the interesting part, since it would encourage more co-ordination between sides, launching strikes on figurehead, patching up your own side’s most notable players, etc.[/quote]
I think it would be interesting too, but as things are, it’d be either really hard to balance, or it’d be a game played by the 10-20 people who keep up with the elections step-by-step. If you become a figurehead, have IRL take you away from the game, and return to find you’ve gone insane, jailed and died at the same time, many people would be…Erm, angry. Really angry.[/quote]
You’re absolutely right, and it was only wishful thinking on my part.

My alt, Catherine Raymond, has the opposite problem with being an Agitator. She got so many people offering to relieve her Scandal that it’s fallen to nearly zero. That means she cannot get rid of the Mob that was sicced on her because she can’t do the action that requires Scandal. Worse, most of the alternatives for getting rid of Mob points require Second Chances, Hastily Scrawled Notes, Sudden Insights, or Hard-Earned Lessons, and because of her career as a Seeker, she doesn’t have any of those left either. (Well, she had a few, but she used them up getting rid of other Mobs).

This wouldn’t matter, but she can’t do Flash Lays or Investigate to get the qualities necessary to advance her Agitator career so long as she has a Mob following her.

Arrgh. Maybe she should just pack it in, eat her Slowcake’s entry, and go back to Winking Isle? I was going to have her do that AFTER the election, but if she’s dead in the water, maybe it’s better that she pack it in. She could change her political &quotcareer&quot to Campaigner or Fixer, but my main is playing as a Campaigner and my alt played as a Fixer last year, PLUS we may well have too many Fixers already.
edited by cathyr19355 on 6/27/2017

This game does have a tradition of special opt-in play styles where you can be an absolute bast____d to other players - namely Knife & Candle and Seeking Mr Eaten’s Name. Agitator’s follow in this tradition and appeal to the sadist/masochists in all of us.

I have sent an offering to try and help repair the damage and make it fun again.

Maybe you need to post in the scandal duping thread, Catherine?

(A silly and roundabout way of solving your issue, but logically it should work.)