is it worth getting into the soul trade?

The story “The 12:15 from Moloch Street” puts you on board a train to hell riding with damned passengers, and you naturally learn quite a bit about devils.

[quote=Anchovies]Recently - especially since that Quiet Deviless hoodwinked me out of my soul - I’ve been wondering why the devils are so apparently fine with being called devils. If they weren’t up to no good, surely they’d object to that label. The only explanation I can come up with is that they were first called devils by Londoners (or precursors from cities past), and they decided that accepting and making use of their unearned reputation would be easier than trying to fight it. Either they see enough positives in being known as devils (it certainly discourages trying to mess with them), or they do things which are even worse than what devils are thought to do and are using the &quotdevil&quot aesthetic as a cover for those activities.

Does the Soul Trade story shed any light on the nature of Hell, devils, and souls (what they are and how they’re used)? If not, are there other stories which do?[/quote]
One bit of story that sheds light on the Devils is the Wistful Devilless from Sunless Sea, who tells you that the Devils came to the Neath when humans were still monkeys. Given how ancient the Devils are, how long they’ve been in the Neath, and how loose their relationship is with time, they could easily have been the source of all or most of humanity’s diabolical mythology. So people might call them Devils because that’s what the Devils originally wanted to be called, because its a role that suits their wants and desires perfectly.

And you were right. It’s now impossible, because it no longer gives rubbery favours. (it does cost constables favour(s), though).

Sideways shepherd nerf.

And you were right. It’s now impossible, because it no longer gives rubbery favours. (it does cost constables favour(s), though).[/quote]
That’s very disappointing (yet not really surprising).

Well, it’s been a nice and profitable run while it lasted…

About Spirifer/Shepard discussion in this thread:
I was Spirifier, and I extensively grind mony for my first Overgoat. I was received 1600+ per week. I swiched to Shepard, and card based grinds.
Now, I easy recive 2000+ per week.
I don’t know how recent connection/renown change will affect this.
edited by Ivica on 6/4/2017

[quote=Ivica]About Spirifer/Shepard discussion in this thread:
I was Spirifier, and I extensively grind mony for my first Overgoat. I was received 1600+ per week. I swiched to Shepard, and card based grinds.
Now, I easy recive 2000+ per week.
I don’t know how recent connection/renown change will affect this.
edited by Ivica on 6/4/2017[/quote]
Depending on your other grinds and how many Dock Favour cards you have, it would have been enough to consume all of your AP! :D

Offtopic: I really wonder how much people used the Rubbery murder option; for me it was new, but it was the only grind! :) Odd little story as well; may need some help as pointing to the real culprit isn’t that obvious.

Now that favours and renown are fully implemented, anyone still digging being a Shepherd over a Spirifier? I did this as PoSI having completed many of the late game stories - how quick the storylet ended came as a surprise.

For mechanical rewards, Shepherd is the only one worthwhile these days, as the spirifage echo grind is far outclassed by expeditions and tiger grind. Though I’m still not convinced being a Shepherd is actually profitable enough to bother with.

Shepherd all the way. I never mind getting all my menaces to 7+, never spending a single action to reduce any of them, and then simply wipe them away.

It’s a choice between 15 magnanimous and 15 heartless.

Being a Shepherd is great if you’re pursuing Poet Laureate, because you can just plow the Church Favours and Society Favours you get from the card into your next A Fine Piece. Much faster than using “The Lead.”

You can also burn all the Revolutionary favours you get, since suspicion is not a problem when you are a shepherd.

On the subject of this story, a friend of mine bought the story but apparently can’t see the start. Any ideas where the first storylet appears?

There are better grinds, but spirifage is still one of the better (best?) easily repeatable London-based grinds, and it does augment the value of a few other things like Thieve’s Expeditions (on the soul reward branch) and One Stone in a Thousand when dumping criminal favours. But I find the main benefit is that it gives me a profitable way to change the Airs of London (when practicing spifirage in the Spite). I’m not sure if there is a more profitable option to do so, but I find myself having to seek out particular Airs as I work towards Paramount Presence for inviting Crooked Crosses to Salon, during Feast of the Rose to elicit the Fountain option on each Feast card to maximize echos, and occasionally to lower suspicion in Spite. I probably would have found wiping menaces useful earlier in the game, but at this point I tend to keep my menaces fairly fixed (scandal 2 for certain flash lay reasons, nightmares up for Nadir, etc.) and would find bulk wipes (assuming that is how shepherd works – haven’t tried it) more annoying than not.

The Menace wipe is a bulk wipe, but it works well with Favours, as most sources from faction cards have an associated Menace increase. I usually just hold onto a Shepherd card in my hand if the need ever arises. As for easily repeatable London-based grinds, expeditions to the Tomb of the Silken Thread using Strong-Backed Labour is still the best, but the profitable Airs change is a good point. Personally, I’m still inclined towards the Widow, as I like raising connections with her, but there are advantages to both.