is it worth getting into the soul trade?

lately i have been dipping my toes into fate locked content starting with flute street (very interesting lore but a little bit disappointing) and intending to try and get my long lost soul back.
but ive been wondering would the soul trade story be worth pursing for a person of some importance like my self? i ask because its meant for much lower shadowy characters than mine and i get the feeling that the gains from it will reflect that.
however if it gives me means to acquire large amounts of souls then ill be interested since im using a lot of them at the moment.

Becoming a spirifer gets you the best base grind in the game currently (as trading in souls for brass is very very profitable), whereas the Shepard option lets you eradicate all your menaces.

If you like to gain lots of money and don’t mind stealing souls it’s a good option.

The Shepard option will also let you build up a rapport with members of Society, which can come in very handy if you have a salon.

Spirifer is much more profitable. Unless you’re RPing a character who is morally against being a spirifer, you should choose it.

Only use I’ve ever found for soul shepherd is finally allowing myself to play the dream cards if I happen to have the menace nuke card in my hand, because then I can get rid of the nightmares right away.

That’s purely for lore though. There’s no profit to be had. And remember also that the connected farming may not last once those factions get converted to the favors system.

Honestly, I really can’t recommend it at all. Choose spirifer.
edited by Kukapetal on 4/30/2017

[quote=Kukapetal]Spirifer is much more profitable. Unless you’re RPing a character who is morally against being a spirifer, you should choose it.

Only use I’ve ever found for soul shepherd is finally allowing myself to play the dream cards if I happen to have the menace nuke card in my hand, because then I can get rid of the nightmares right away.

That’s purely for lore though. There’s no profit to be had. And remember also that the connected farming may not last once those factions get converted to the favors system.

Honestly, I really can’t recommend it at all. Choose spirifer.
edited by Kukapetal on 4/30/2017[/quote] as i was about to say before my keyboard shat it self and made me refresh my characters been going even further than that and stealing from soul stealers them self’s so its completely in character.
i was just checking it was still worth doing a shadowy 172 character so ill play it after ive got my soul back.

That the Shepherd card will change from Connected to Favors only further recommends it in my opinion. Favors can be hard to find, especially when you really need them. it might actually increase the card’s versatility.

What are you going to need them for once you’ve gotten your renown to 50, which will likely happen right away anyway since the card has likely already increased your Connected: Society/Church/I Don’t Even Remember Who Else That’s How Useless This Card Is to astronomical levels? :P

I’ve heard that shepherd theoretically can be more profitable, if you raise menaces in lucrative ways before using the card to wipe your menaces. That requires optimizing your gameplay pretty heavily though, compared to the spirifers push button, get money straightforward grind.

EPA aside, the spirifer card is very useful. I picked spirifer over shepherd for moral reasons, but it’s always nice to wipe out my menaces with a single action.

I agree it can be nice. Not nearly as nice as a highly profitable grind though ;)

Both paths are very profitable. On the lore side i cannot recommend to spend fate for any of this.

The lore aspect is substantially better if you buy the Soul Trade content in the early-game, as much of the lore becomes common knowledge as the game goes on, and a fair number of the options unlocked are in early-game content.

The Spirifage aspect is definitely worth it though. With a 100% chance on stealing souls in Unfinished Business, it’s approximately 1.80 EPA, and that may go up further once Hell is converted over to Favours. I’m also skeptical of the idea that the Shepherd side is more profitable - that seems very reminiscent of that discussion of EPA vs EOR recently.

A boost of 10-20 pence on your base grind is huuuuuuuuge. Can shave a good 1-2 months off a cider grind. I doubt the Shepard option can top that.

I honestly think the Shepherd card should just say “HAHA SUCKER!!” when you click on it :P

The Shepherd card does have some uses. I used it to get to Scarlet Saint faster and a friend of mine used it to hit Courier’s Footprint with only one Mood.

Is Scarlet Saint actually worth anything besides bragging rights? Because if not, then I don’t see the appeal other than to a tiny minority.

Is anything in this game worth anything besides bragging rights? Hesperidean Cider may instantly cure all wounds and unlock some profitable cards, but all it really means is you’ve spent a great deal of time and effort on a game to change some pixels. All goals in Fallen London are essentially self-imposed, and reward nothing more than personal satisfaction and the attention of others (aka bragging rights).

Scarlet Saint has no gameplay effect, correct. In this game personal interest does tend to be more important though. Plenty of players have reached Courier’s Footprint for example just for that cool title.
edited by Optimatum on 5/1/2017

Money is :P

There’s more to the game then echos per action ratios :P

Unless there’s now a way to convert echoes to USD or somesuch, I’m pretty sure money is still just for personal satisfaction and bragging rights :P

True. They should change the spirifer card to reflect that as well. Get rid of the grind and instead make it slightly easier for Spirifers to get a cool obscure title. I’m sure they’ll be grateful