Infertility in the Neath

[color=#cccccc]Giving birth in the Neath - not much is mentioned on this topic, am I correct?[/color]
[color=#cccccc]Where are the pregnant women? Where are the freshly baked babies out from the oven?[/color]
[color=#cccccc]I don’t recall seeing (reading) about any of these. Not human nor feral.[/color]
[color=#cccccc]There are lost daughters and daughters which serves the law and sons as well. There are children and Urchins and those four kids at the recent EF story. There is a Grubby Kitten.[/color]
[color=#cccccc]But no BABIES. No cubs, no litter. No pregnancy.[/color]
[color=#cccccc]Where are the obstetrical clinics? Do we get our supply of youngsters from the surface via Cumaen Canal?[/color]
[color=#cccccc]Are we all infertile here? Is that the price for Neath’s longevity? [/color]
[color=#cccccc]Is my character prevented from inventing the first epidural anesthesia? (EDIT - Ah, already too late. Was invented in 1885, 9 years ago)[/color]
[color=#cccccc]

[/color]
edited by Gonen on 3/29/2016
edited by Gonen on 3/29/2016

People have definitely been born in the Neath. The chap in Cut With Moonlight was Neath-born, as are the Parabolan Kittens. I’m assuming the reason we mostly bump into children when they’re a little older than newborn is that, well, there’s only so many interactions one can have with a tiny baby that contribute to a story. At least an older child can have dialogue.

I don’t have a theory as to why the topic has remained rather invisible so far… but the massive numbers of urchins suggests we’re fertile all right - though I wouldn’t want to read any statistics on child mortality or child poverty in the Neath, they’d have to be depressing… which is one reason why my character aligned herself with the Urchins pretty much from the word go ;)

I think a pregnant woman was mentioned at least once somewhere but I don’t recall any specifics. Anyway, raising children without sunlight and healthy food would definitely be a challenge for anyone not rich enough to import food (and the occasional mirrorcatch box for some much-needed vitamin D) from the surface. Hence the number of orphans, probably.

The really depressing part is that hundreds of homeless children living on rooftops and in empty buildings is an authentic Surface-London quality, imported to the Neath. At least down here they have strange patron deities and a relative absence of death.

Wasn’t the Captivating Princess born after the Fall?

The sunless sea scion legacy is literally you the player having a child while in the neath. Depending on your choices, it’s even possible that you the captain can be the pregnant party in your relationship, and this all happens 100% in the neath from conception to birth. Your child even grows up to take over your legacy when you die. I’d say sunless sea scion legacy pretty much covers all aspects of this topic and proves conclusively beyond a shadow of a doubt that neathy pregnancy is totally possible.
edited by NiteBrite on 3/29/2016

[quote=NiteBrite]The sunless sea scion legacy is literally you the player having a child while in the neath. Depending on your choices, it’s even possible that you the captain can be the pregnant party in your relationship, and this all happens 100% in the neath from conception to birth. Your child even grows up to take over your legacy. I’d say sunless sea scion legacy pretty much covers all aspects of this topic and proves conclusively beyond a shadow of a doubt that neathy pregnancy is totally possible.
edited by NiteBrite on 3/29/2016[/quote]

OK.
So, the more terrifying questions which must be asked are:
Where do they hide the pregnant women and babies? And Why?

[quote]
Where do they hide the pregnant women and babies? And Why? [/quote]Probably in nurseries: children during the victorian age didn’t get much outside time. I know there isn’t technically an “outside” in the Neath, but still…

Well we have seen one pregnant woman. In the orphanage. Hope that trend doesn’t continue.
edited by suinicide on 3/29/2016

Ha, there’s an interaction for married couples.

[Your spouse] desires some pickles and ice cream. Together. Do you accept?

Persuasive 200, broad difficulty. There is neither cucumbers under the Neath nor true ice. Convince [your beloved] that mushrooms are a reasonable substitute.
Failure: +2 cp wounds, unaccountably peckish increase.
Success: +1 sudden insight. Did you know mushrooms are also delicious when pickled?

Shadowy, 200. Find some pickles. No matter what the cost.
Success: what you did for those cucumbers will haunt you. +1 nightmares.
Failure: Eat your vegetables…EAT THEM.

Too many people call themselves Doctor. Find one who has actually stepped inside a hospital; A basic knowledge of human anatomy is also desirable.
Social action: invite an acquaintance with the title of Doctor for an interrogation. Discover if they truly practice the medical profession.
Upon acceptance: you determine your “friend” wouldn’t know which was is “up”. This is a problem.

I’m totally game for a babysitting venture for infants and toddlers of er… ‘interesting’ ancestry.

One of the options on the doing good deeds cards mentions catching a runaway pram.
The reason for the lack of infants mention mirrors the actual Victorian reluctance to talk about pregnancy and their general seclusion from society when they started showing.

I’m totally game for a babysitting venture for infants and toddlers of er… ‘interesting’ ancestry.[/quote]

‘Interesting’ ancestry, eh? Care to discretely elaborate?

I’m totally game for a babysitting venture for infants and toddlers of er… ‘interesting’ ancestry.[/quote]

‘Interesting’ ancestry, eh? Care to discretely elaborate?[/quote]

We already know of piscine and insect ancestry. Perhaps we can know more.

It is quite a thing that the rookeries of Victorian London have been markedly improved by importation to a damnable abyss full of devils and monsters and worse.

The Captivating Princess was born at the very moment of the Fall, to be exact.

[quote=Pyrodinium][quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole][quote=Pyrodinium]

We already know of piscine and insect ancestry. Perhaps we can know more.[/quote]

Ah, yes. Any speculations upon possible noticeable effects in such little ones?
edited by Bertrand Leonidas Poole on 3/30/2016

[quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole][quote=Pyrodinium][quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole][quote=Pyrodinium]

We already know of piscine and insect ancestry. Perhaps we can know more.[/quote]

edited by Bertrand Leonidas Poole on 3/30/2016[/quote]

Well if I remember my biology right some insects prefer to store their young on unwilling hosts so that the young ones can it them alive. It’s probably best not to answer babysitting requests from this type of couples.

[quote=Pyrodinium][quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole][quote=Pyrodinium]

[/quote]

Well if I remember my biology right some insects prefer to store their young on unwilling hosts so that the young ones can it them alive. It’s probably best not to answer babysitting requests from this type of couples.[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of noticeable ways these wee ones differ from most humans. Like trying to bite you with sharp teeth when you pick them up.

The Captivating Princess was born at the very moment of the Fall, to be exact.[/quote]
Really? I did not know that. Where was this revealed?
edited by dov on 3/30/2016