Infertility in the Neath

[quote=Shadowcthuhlu]One of the options on the doing good deeds cards mentions catching a runaway pram.
The reason for the lack of infants mention mirrors the actual Victorian reluctance to talk about pregnancy and their general seclusion from society when they started showing.[/quote]

You only have to look at the treatment of ladies in an interesting condition in Trollope, and other Victorian novelists. The much less famous Mrs. Oliphant is very good for an insight into the mores of the times as they relate to women (in one novel she actually promotes the idea that a woman should perjure herself in court for the sake of her drunken, abusive fraud of a husband, because her duty to him outweighs everything else.)

So keeping this whole area under wraps is very true to Victorian life.

[quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole][quote=Pyrodinium][quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole][quote=Pyrodinium]

We already know of piscine and insect ancestry. Perhaps we can know more.[/quote]

Ah, yes. Any speculations upon possible noticeable effects in such little ones?
[/quote]

Well if I remember my biology right some insects prefer to store their young on unwilling hosts so that the young ones can it them alive. It’s probably best not to answer babysitting requests from this type of couples.[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of noticeable ways these wee ones differ from most humans. Like trying to bite you with sharp teeth when you pick them up.[/quote]
Well, that’s the thing. We’re still not as of yet entirely sure about just exactly WHAT the insect-human hybrid is. As for the more aquatic romances, the example we’ve been given so far is that they appear to be human in almost every way but at some point in time (perhaps when they realize what they are, perhaps when they become more attached/connected to zee, perhaps something else entirely) they have an urge to escape to the zee. They can either refuse the call and remain mostly human with the call to zee always in their head or give into it, jump into the ocean, and shed their fleshy body for a larger, scalier one as a big ol’ fish that will roam the zees until its death. Although, there’s nothing saying that these are the only options for such a person and that this is the exact route for ALL fish/human hybrids.

Mind you, there’s also Maybe’s Daughter. She’s the daughter of an irrigo-soaked human (can she truly be called only human anymore?) and a cat (technically panther) from Parabola. Whether she was made and born in the Neath or Parabola is uncertain. She’s also not the best example of what would come from a human/Parabola cat hybrid since her mom is an irrigomancer, which could have had unique effects on her. That being said, Maybe’s Daughter appears human but has abilities similar to her mom in that she can affect their memory. Make of that what you will.

That’s the main of what we know of humans having kids with other species in the Neath. While there’s possibility that we might see new examples later on in the story, it’s important to point out that the children don’t necessarily have to be just like one or both of their parents. Stone, for instance, is a giant diamond mountain of glowing sunlight and her parents were a giant squid-like spacecrab and a freaking sun. So, all in all, we don’t know what really is going to be coming out of the oven. Gods help us all.

[quote=Jermaine Vendredi][quote=Shadowcthuhlu]One of the options on the doing good deeds cards mentions catching a runaway pram.
The reason for the lack of infants mention mirrors the actual Victorian reluctance to talk about pregnancy and their general seclusion from society when they started showing.[/quote]

You only have to look at the treatment of ladies in an interesting condition in Trollope, and other Victorian novelists. The much less famous Mrs. Oliphant is very good for an insight into the mores of the times as they relate to women (in one novel she actually promotes the idea that a woman should perjure herself in court for the sake of her drunken, abusive fraud of a husband, because her duty to him outweighs everything else.)

So keeping this whole area under wraps is very true to Victorian life.[/quote]
What sparked this conversation for me was how the Catherine’s pregnancy in Wuthering Heights was barely mentioned if you aren’t looking for specific cues to the audicence.

Hah. We see an unequivocal human infant in April’s EF story (just as a passing character).
Edit: I could put in a link, that would be useful: echoed here.
edited by an_ocelot on 3/31/2016

Really?
So before the next EF story shall I open a new topic with the title &quotwhy don’t we see more Hesperidean Cider for everyone?&quot

Really?
So before the next EF story shall I open a new topic with the title &quotwhy don’t we see more Hesperidean Cider for everyone?&quot[/quote]

That is actually a question I’ve found myself asking. It seems like the Tomb-Colonists would have a special interest in it and surely any number of them must be exceedingly wealthy in their old age…

I was about to ask, but then I remembered that I too am on the Light Fingers ambition, and OH HECK NO we do NOT want that to be a common thing!
It’s enough to make one feel the need to sit down with a nice cup of tea, really. :-p