In Red, Underlined: OOC Discussion

Lia, I think that’s a good plan. I will start planning my next post accordingly.

Sly, you might want to consult with Lia before you try a fancy entrance. Or with Wilco, if he’s buttling. (I’m sure he will comply. With someone, at least.)

Anna, Lee has a solid classical education but generally doesn’t let on.

Phryne, Lia and I discussed the possibility of sharing Google docs but we worried that there might be privacy issues. But that hasn’t been a problem?

Edit: And apparently I spent too long writing this post, so that most of it was obsolete by the time I sent it! Ah, well.
edited by Aberrant Eremite on 12/29/2017

We’ve used a Google doc for planning A Neathean Argo, the Shade Hunt and Two Suns and there hasn’t been any issue with privacy or vandalism, even when posting a publicly editable link. This community is generally a Good Bunch that doesn’t mess around with such things. :)
edited by JimmyTMalice on 12/29/2017

Hi all, sorry for crashing, But I wanted to say that this game looks fantastic and I am looking forward to reading about your escapades in the main post!

Also, Lady Jen Black, I realize you already have a full team, but if you ever need the services of a one-off, relatively easy-to-defeat NPC antagonist for your heist game. The Six Handed Merchant is a meddlesome mid-level criminal detective with a few clever tricks up their sleeve, and thus seems uniquely suited to the task. :)

[li][/li]
edited by Six Handed Merchant on 12/30/2017

[quote=Six Handed Merchant]Hi all, sorry for crashing, But I wanted to say that this game looks fantastic and I am looking forward to reading about your escapades in the main post!

Also, Lady Jen Black, I realize you already have a full team, but if you ever need the services of a one-off, relatively easy-to-defeat NPC antagonist for your heist game. The Six Handed Merchant is a meddlesome mid-level criminal detective with a few clever tricks up their sleeve, and thus seems uniquely suited to the task.[/quote]
An intriguing offer! If Lia doesn’t have the time (she does rather have her hands full), you’re welcome to foil one of my schemes some time. Not that Lee is exactly a criminal mastermind…

Can I have some consensus on whether to go with the plan I outlined, or do you guys want to use a GDoc?

I’m okay with either one. I’m inclined to go with the plan for this scene, since there is a plan, and discuss the possibility of a GDoc for the next scene.

I agree. The plan is suitable for what we’re doing. Things like the heists themselves might be better to plan out googledoc style perhaps. But we should be fine on the current plan for now

I agree with Erem and Hubris. We have a plan for this scene. Let’s use it!

I’m good with the plan, though operating on like two hours’ sleep and entirely out of sorts. X.x I have replies to various people in this thread when I’m coherent enough to make it to the computer – my kindle is not condusive to tabbing around and such. For now, I return to sleep. I hope.

I agree with the rest of the crew : we have a plan, let’s use it!

I’m okay either way.

Either way is fine with me, as Randee of the Redwoods once said.

Now that one takes me back. All the way back to when they played music videos on MTV.

Looks like everyone is on the same page, then. I agree with the most.

Jimmy’s right, Erem. Gotta have that gothic flavor or it isn’t FL. ^.^ waves to the watchers Actually, I was reminded a bit of the text from the storylet that’s a Notability check and then a surprise package on a success. Watching our affairs with great interest, indeed.

Any time you’re writing with others, especially a group, there’s gonna be some necessary weasels. Some things move before people respond to stuff that came before. Conversations especially have issues – and the longer the posts, the more evident such things get. I generally favor participation over things like length or worrying too much about just how all the dialogue fits together. ^.^;; So long as we remember it’s an rp and not a novel, I think we’ll be fine. From what I’ve seen, everyone involved is more than merely a capable writer.

The odds of people not talking on arrival are slim, but I can forgo the chatter to start. Phryne, collabs are great, but only if it involves everyone in the scene – and if you have all the players involved in the scene, then it just gets messy with no gain. I personally am a huge fan of being able to weave stuff together, but not everyone is, and far too often collabs look like alternating paragraphs by different players. Sure, it keeps the post looking like it’s not super short, but in the end all it does is keep folks not in the doc from seeing stuff as it gets finished.

And don’t get me started on the times that people collabed on a post without including everyone there, took over, raced past the other players – and took forever doing it. shudder

In short, I’m a huge fan of gdocs and other collaborative writing software, although my kindle won’t do gdocs and I actually prefer stuff with authorship colors personally (which can be done, in a pinch, with formatting for gdocs). I’ve just had bad experiences.

There was a huge rp that reached a finish line?! Color me impressed, Phryne! That’s a rare thing indeed.

Lia, Nikki would never break the glass.
…she says, after the woman just shattered a cathedral window.

Timing, Shy. >.<;

But no, she’d pick the lock and open the window like a proper thief. And it’s not to surprise Lady Jen, it’s just a matter of it being closer than the door, that’s all!

Who cares about length anyway? We’re not here to do a competition but to write together. I agree with your point to favor participation over length.

[quote=shylarah]There was a huge rp that reached a finish line?! Color me impressed, Phryne! That’s a rare thing indeed.[/quote]Actually, there’s at least two now that the Shade-Hunt’s officially concluded! :)

Regarding collabs via google docs or whatever: I’m personally a huge fan of it, but I agree it’s not always the best option. Obviously, you need to be very open about it and make sure that all the players involved know it’s happening and have enough time to write their bit. I don’t know where all of you’re from, but on the IRC we have RPers from all over the world, so doing conversations with small individual posts would basically always leave at least a few people behind - that’s why collab docs are often the best solution for us to make sure no one gets left too far behind. If all players in a group are from more or less the same time zone, that’s less of an issue, of course.

I’m with you, Docteur. The idea that I have to faffle about and rehash the thoughts and feelings I mentioned last post to reach a wordcount minimum has always annoyed me. And then there’s the folks that think because they wrote three pages it MUST be good… It’s all about execution, and the people that know that tend to be the best partners. <3

Alright, guys, I’m working on the scene. Let’s go with the plan!

EDIT: Is it okay if we put it on hold for just a little while? I have a friend in the FL RP community who might be interested. I know I’ve closed the players list, but I’ve known him for quite a while and I feel he’d be a good fit.
edited by Lady Jen Black on 1/1/2018

You’re the GM, I think that you can invite whom you want and post when you can. I’d advise against putting it on hold for too long, though. A lot of campaigns die a-borning that way.