I think I've run out of content.

Both of the lowest challenges give Unloved Short Stories upon a failure.

the hardest for me was the gold medal level.
I kept failing it even at 60, 60, 80 and 90% attempts.

Then when I tried the ones after it, thinking I’d fail down to it, I passed all the feather’s easily.

I’m flipping cards and trying to get the rubbery items right now.

Looking for something new to grind stats wise though.

Looks like I’ll be flipping between grinding for whiring contraptions in a handbag… and becoming level 12 in each of the 3 legendary newspaper reputations.

With any free time going into a little stat grinding.

I think I better not push my notability any higher yet.

Of late I just barely reach 20, to fall back to 10. (this ensures that if I take an absent minded vacation I’ve got another week of buffer). I’d not make the trip from 15 to 30 I think, quite as easily. I could sacrifice my buffer and travel from 7 to 15 easily enough, but… I am just that absent minded.

So, any other goals folks can suggest?

I might take a spin at taking my other post and chewing it down to a more readable form I guess… if that’s what’s stopping people from making suggestions?

You could grind for a top-tier wedding I guess for whenever those return, to get a Letter from the Empress. You could even do it twice if so inclined - the wiki only has one of the two options recorded for the storylet removing it after divorce :P

500k rats?

I might just do that once society changes to the new system, so I don’t completely waste my reputation going rat hunting.

I need to change my job to one with a + watchful item that isn’t a home comfort, eventually…

If you so wish you could also become a Ratcatcher. No society loss from ratcatching, higher RPA than Unfinished Business in Spite if you have modified Dangerous 215+, and it’s a watchful profession.

gather connected 321 with as many factions as possible before their conversion to renown. (the easiest three are, of course, bohemians, society, and revolutionaries. Hell is a lot easier than you’d think, and if you have a nice stockpile of basic souls, upconversion will make it even easier. Constables isn’t that hard either.)

Looks like I’m going to be a newspaper baron for a long LONG time.

12 levels, and a low increase in each property for 104 points. Failure in the last action causes it to not count, intermixed with grinding for whirling contraptions.

Flipping lots of cards, progressing my favours as I can with them, getting renoun on each to the final tier is also in progress.

It’s a grind and a half. I’m going to be here, and I think I’ll be enjoying it.

Why 12 levels? I thought all 3 Newspaper titles (Defender of Truth, Cardinal of Conspiracy, Prophet of the Gutter) max out at 10.

Nope- if the wiki is to be believed, at least, they cap at 12.

How so?

In all 3, the max title is listed at level 10.

[quote=dov]How so?

In all 3, the max title is listed at level 10.[/quote]
The titles cap at 10- i didn’t understand what you meant. that said, i believe the level cap is 12+, and extant- most people define their endpoint by level cap, not title cap, after all.
edited by Grenem on 5/23/2016

Sure, if the quality actually has a cap, then it makes sense to go for it. Otherwise, people tend to go for the title cap (as in for the faction connections).

Where is it confirmed that any of the newspaper qualities cap at 12? I can’t find such a reference on the wiki.

I haven’t heard of a cap on the newspaper qualities at 12, hence why everyone just goes to 10 to get the final titles.

My god is it a grind anyway though. I just finished yesterday after months of work. I thought the goat was bad, but this is worse. You’ll be quite sick of wilmot’s end by the time you’re through. It takes approximately 10000 actions, or about 3 months of relatively high activity grinding. I’d say it was worth it though.
edited by ArtificerProdigy on 5/24/2016

[quote=dov]Sure, if the quality actually has a cap, then it makes sense to go for it. Otherwise, people tend to go for the title cap (as in for the faction connections).

Where is it confirmed that any of the newspaper qualities cap at 12? I can’t find such a reference on the wiki.[/quote]
i remember someone mentioning a cap at >10, but i can’t remember if it’s at 15 or 12 or some absurd number, just that i’ve read- somewhere- that it exists. Pretty sure it’s at 15, actually- and once, i was heading for it, but i got bored at papers #45-54.
edited by Grenem on 5/24/2016

I think Failbetter Games might have reached the George R.R. Martin stage of this game. It would take a massive effort to tie all the loose ends and bring about any sort of satisfying endgame. Then again, I’m still logging in every day, for the past I-don’t-know-how-many years. :)

What makes you think they plan on making a true endgame? One of the rules of fallen london is you can change the world more than the normal man on the street, but you aren’t a god, and you can’t change the world that much.

That said, they are more-than-capable of making a satisfactory conclusion to each and every ambition, though some of them are going to be problematic if they intend playing to still be possible at the end. Heart’s desire is fine, as is, most likely, the light fingers ambition. However, the other two would both impact the masters substantially if you truly, properly, succeed- though an incomplete victory might leave the world similar enough that the world wouldn’t change that much at the level you play at.

Vake hunter failing to actually defeat the vake, but horribly handicapping him- perhaps even injuring him so badly he can no longer go and vake- leaves the setting satisfactory. it’s not a complete victory, but it’s a large one, a huge one considering what you are.

Nemisis causing all kinds of chaos for the bazaar but failing to win in the end is much the same- if it’s not an immediate enough harm, it could leave the world the same and still change the world.

Admittedly, i don’t know the details of light fingers, and therefore don’t know what to fear about it.

The event you are referring to, the death of a master, doesn’t have to derail the game. Especially if someone, or something, is there to step in as their doppelganger…

Right. The [mirrored cup] is evidence that that could happen, even if it probably usually doesn’t- we don’t have mr. candles, after all. And unless you’ve got the ambition, most vake appearances could very well be black wings absinthe.

[stuff in brackets are euphemisms, if you want the details of what i mean, PM me.]

Right. The [mirrored cup] is evidence that that could happen, even if it probably usually doesn’t- we don’t have mr. candles, after all. And unless you’ve got the ambition, most vake appearances could very well be black wings absinthe.

[stuff in brackets are euphemisms, if you want the details of what i mean, PM me.][/quote]
Assuming I’m interpreting you right, that’s not at all the same circumstance. The roles always had the same players.