How to raise Scholar of Correspondence

There’s an option in the University that lets you raise it depending on your current Watchful stat. You can also raise in in the Empress’ Court via somewhat challenging music.

There are also fate-locked ways to boost correspondence - a couple of the options from the animal husbandry line have cards that will allow you to boost SotC.

Can second the Empress’ Court suggestion – that’s how I did it. It takes forever at 1 CP per completed symphony (32ish actions not counting menace decreasing), but there’s a fairly profitable payout at the end. (Which, heh, I sunk into buying Persuasive gear to decrease my failure rate…)

You can also do it very inefficiently with Bundles of Oddities of sufficiently high value – values 841-949 gets you &quotSomething perilous&quot. That will give you one change point. I think that’s roundabouts a 1 in 10 chance via Surprise Packages.

EDIT: Also! Something I wish I’d known: Merely purchasing the second half of Theological Husbandry (via an opportunity card once you’ve unlocked the first half) will give you at least one CP (maybe more) of SotC so long as it’s less than 10. Highly recommend going for that.
edited by thedeadlymoose on 11/13/2014

So… if you’re already banished from court and have finished the university storyline, the only way to get to SotC 10 is to reach watchful 190, so you can get the final level via using plaques at the university?

I think you can only use Shadowy Dealings at the University if you are a Respectable Academic so you might need to re-establish your reputation if you were chucked out.

As to other methods of raising SOTC sometimes very high value Bundles of Oddities, the ones you get from A Surprise Package (and apparently the rare card at Wolfstack Docks), give Correspondence Plaques and SOTC and if you want to spend fate there are a couple of options when you have bred some beasts. Both of those cap methods cap at 10 so if you want to raise it any higher you will probably need to use the University.

Edit - Of course at the moment if you have any Pails of Snow and a Monocle you can use that method which can take you up to 15 if you have enough snow :)
edited by reveurciel on 1/11/2015

I knew I should have somehow scraped together the cash for the monocle instead of wasting my snow -_- Ah well, thanks for the info!

You can also do the Fatelocked Theosophical Husbandry stuff, which can get you a pet that can help raise Scholar.

Hi
Has anything changed over those months? :)
So I’m out of the university, kicked out of palace. Got SOTC to lvl 7
As far as I understand to get to lvl 10 I need to:

• Use expensive shadowy dealings at the university
  • Wait till winter event to do something with the snow
    Is there another option?

[quote=wziemniak]Hi

Is there another option?[/quote]

Composing specific symphonies in the Empress’ Court is a bit time consuming but it will get you there. As mentioned above, a couple of the Theological Husbandry animals can also help you get there (the Ocelot and the Owl if I’m not mistaken).

[quote=wziemniak]Hi

Yes:
  • gather Surprise packages… [Slow, painful, 1 point SoTC with every time you get correspondence plaques- a little under 11% of the time- otherwise none. (To get from 7 to 10 you need 27 cp or about 246 surprise packages, assuming average results.)]
    -[Fate locked theosophical husbandry stuff]
    edited by Grenem on 6/18/2016

[quote=Grenem][quote=wziemniak]Hi

Yes:
  • gather Surprise packages… [Slow, painful, 1 point SoTC with every time you get correspondence plaques- a little under 11% of the time- otherwise none. (To get from 7 to 10 you need 27 cp or about 246 surprise packages, assuming average results.)]
    -[Fate locked theosophical husbandry stuff]
    edited by Grenem on 6/18/2016[/quote]

This Skin of the Bazaar card, drawn only in the side streets, goes up to level 10 as well.

Are there any really useful benefits to having a high understanding of the Correspondence other than profession unlock?

Yep! During christmas, you can turn &quotbuckets of so-called snow&quot into &quotTaste of Lacre&quot. The best option is a scholar of the correspondence challenge, which, on success, gives 3 levels &quottaste of lacre&quot. 70% at lv. 7 (relatively easy if you try) and 100% at lv.10 (much harder). Considering that buckets of so-called snow are not exactly numerous or common, and the only unlimited source costs 150 echoes a bucket, getting more out of you buckets is always a good thing! For most people, this is debatably worth it,

Hi. I just wanted to let you know that right this moment I’ve reached scholar of correspondence level 10 by using that card which can only be drawn in bazaar side-streets, mysterious packages send by a friend (had a deal of sending each other gifts) and from unsigned message card (always choose ‘a gift?’ option). Took me 5 months. I did not count how many cards it took.

I’m actually having trouble raising my SoTC above 16 as my Watchful is already at 250. I’d really like to get it to 20 someday but I doubt I can without committing to becoming an exceptional mind.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic21265-a-brief-guide-to-couriers-footprint.aspx

This is the best guide to how to max out your Watchful for Courier’s Footprint. At this point, you probably need to switch to a Watchful profession or aim for a Ubergoat, if I had to guess.

That is very helpful Parelle, are moods even a thing currently? I heard they got brought back but I have not seen one in a long time.

Regardless it seems that I can currently only achieve 299 watchful even if I managed to achieve an Ubergoat which makes me terribly sad. I will need to wait for a mood and some miscellaneous +1 to watchful from some seasonal item. Or else divorce my dear devout intriguer

Moods definitely are a thing. I’d say wait for a seasonal item unless you luck out with a mood
edited by Cthonius on 11/16/2016

[quote=Victor Alexander]
Regardless it seems that I can currently only achieve 299 watchful even if I managed to achieve an Ubergoat which makes me terribly sad. I will need to wait for a mood and some miscellaneous +1 to watchful from some seasonal item. Or else divorce my dear devout intriguer[/quote]

Ah. What do you have gear wise? I was thinking 299 is impossible even with an Ubergoat but that might have been before the Wax Boots…

Yes, moods are active again - I’ve one in hand that I’ve been holding on to as I will need it earlier than most to go from 18 to 19 since I’m neither overlapping nor have the boots.

I believe that the max Watchful possible today is 319.

This includes a Mood, a Profession, a Destiny, all relevant Fate and seasonal items, and being an Extraordinary Mind.

Excluding Fate (which mostly means using an Overgoat instead of an Ubergoat), Watchful 308 is possible.