How StoryNexus will work

So I intend to create a world in which it is entirely possible to die, not necessarily with any forewarning. I was also hoping to make it possible that at least some things carry over between playthroughs. But it sounds like Storynexus-spanning Metaqualities will be carefully curated. Is there any sort of option to create a world-specific quality assigned to a player rather than a character, or will I need to reconsider the lethality of the world?

All I’ve personally got for that is keep track on paper of what qualities you’ll be giving out and wipe all of them but the ones you want to carry over when the character dies (that is, use one character who shows up across all “sessions” but “forgets” almost everything when dying), but that means you’ll want to have exactly one “Die” card/event for the same reason that programmers avoid “magic numbers” (that is, to avoid having to go back through and changing everything when changing anything, or in your case, to avoid having to fix all of the different places a character could have died while having a given quality).

[color=#009900]As James suggests - GAME_END_EFFECT is not what you want, unless you actually want to end the game, i.e., a complete reset. And yes, if you have a long list of quality changes / resets, it’s best to keep them at the end of one branch. You might want to stick the death-reset card in a separate Setting and send the character there to undergo the process - this will be easier once we switch on Must events.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]In the longer term… we have talked about tagging qualities so that you can test or affect them as a bundle. ‘Set all [living] qualities to 0.’ ‘All [initiation] qualities must be Min 3.’ This would have been useful for us with, e.g., the Lethean Tea, because inevitably we forget to update some Ambition-specific qualities. But the use-case hasn’t been common enough to do this yet.[/color]

Clarification question raised from the manual: How do multiple decks work, exactly?

Sometimes decks: You can have multiple decks, but whenever you draw it fills your hand from that deck? So the only way to have cards from multiple decks is to save? But you currently can’t name your Sometimes decks (maybe also can’t specify how many?)

Always decks: How does having multiple Always decks work, and when would you choose to do this?
Ex: Suppose I have a different Always deck for each major plotline I have. Is this a sensible thing to do, in that it’s a good way for me to manage my plotlines? Then, the thinking behind decks not being location specific is that my Who Murdered Mrs. Cafferty story might take the player through all sorts of places, where one clue is at The Docks and another’s is at Mrs. Cafferty’s Residence, etc, yes?
But, actual display order is not sorted by deck, but by tags? So if I wanted to sort display order by, say, style of activity, I could have an Always card in the Mrs. Cafferty deck like Shake Down The Locals For More Information tagged A: violent, and it would go next to a different’ deck’s Practice Swordplay On A Stranger, also tagged A: violent; before the rest of the Mrs. Cafferty cards that might be tagged C: conversation. Or something like this? This feels like a bad example… Am I correct about this mechanism? If so, what is an example of the thinking behind this / how best to use it?

[color=#009900]Sometimes Decks:[/color]
[color=#009900]- you will be able to name them (and select card back images).[/color]
[color=#009900]- we may allow limiting card draws, so some decks are more expensive than others. But right now yup, you’d only end up with multiple deck cards in your hand if you didn’t draw to an empty hand.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Always decks[/color]
[color=#009900]- it would have taken more effort to exclude the possibility of multiple Always decks than it did to leave it in. Right now there’s no particular reason to do it. Ultimately we may allow them to display differently in different rows or something, but that would require a very large body of content to be worth the effort.[/color]
[color=#009900]- Tags are just a way for creators to organise content - they’re not visible on the front end.[/color]

I’ve been writing up little experiments for when the beta widens. Is it possible to limit/expand hand sizes? Or are they hard coded to three?

Erik:

Right now, draw and hand sizes are set to three. We plan to allow you to change this in the future.

[color=#009900]All: here’s the tentative roadmap for SN features. (Those with access to the Creators’ Pack will find the link there too.)[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]bitly.com/SNRoadmap[/color]

Alexis:

Tantalizing!

[color=#009900]Cross-posted from the support thread.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Tooltips: this sort of thing will go in as we sharpen up the UI.
Echoes: no plans to add currency (or a Bazaar-like tab) at the moment.
CSS: Not in the foreseeable future; but as per the How Will StoryNexus Work thread, we will be adding themes and, later, custom images.
OR: For technical reasons (see my interview with AIGameDev if you’re really interested), this won’t be in event-unlock requirements unless we do a big tech change. It may end up in branch-unlock requirements at some point.[/color]

Can’t read the article, alas (subscription-locked). But branch-requirement was what I was thinking, anyhow.

If someone wants to use currency or a Bazaar-type tab, you can use pinned cards and a “Coin” item.

I imagine the answer is going to be ‘no’ or at least ‘not soon’, but I’m going to ask:

Are there any plans to include item naming, eg pets and ships?

[color=#009900]zackly that. :-) Very much an untimetabled nice-to-have.[/color]

Another random question… So long as the next set of beta testing opens up soon, I hope to submit something to the World of the Season competition. Within the guidelines of the competition, I know we have to have some type of end to what we submit so I was wondering if it will be possible to provide an option to the players that will reset their qualities to something completely different than the qualities in the game I submit or if that would mess the database up.

I know GAME_END_EFFECT resets the character on the player end but does this completely erase the character from the SN database or would it be entirely possible to create a few unwanted side effects if I put that in now and then essentially COMPLETELY rebuild the game from the ground up?

[color=#009900]It sounds like this is a question about the competition rules - if so could you ask there (and give an example, because I’m not sure I understand)[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]If it’s a feature request - could you give an example, because I’m not sure I understand :-)[/color]

Set a Quality at the beginning like Seasonal Player. When you want to reset everything, make a card only available to people with the Seasonal quality that resets all qualities to whatever you want (including erasing them). If Must effects are in then, make it a Must. Otherwise you could create a new Area, repoint most of your cards there and leave the Seasonal players in the old area with only a single card available to them.

Thanks Chrysoula that’s what I was thinking of doing anyways I just wasn’t sure if it would mess things up on the technical end which is actually what I was asking about Alexis but I erased and retyped numerous times so I apologize for not being clear.

Will we be able to immediately offer nex content and start accruing nex as soon as we publish a world or do we have to wait until “MEMORY” is implemented?

[color=#009900]Nex content: It’ll be post-MEMORY, but the ability to charge Nex for branch unlocks will not be available to all creators by default - there’ll need to be a degree of validation. More on this shortly.[/color]