How StoryNexus will work

Is it possible to translate a game in a diffenrent language and how will it be done? Can users just use ‘change langauge’ option/button and play, or do I need to create a completely new game with the same cards but different text (in other language) and give a link to it?

[color=#009900]Internationalisation: there’s no provision for this yet - you’d need to copy and chance. We’d like to add it, but we need to prove the audience first.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Folks following this thread may find this dev diary blog post interesting:[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
http://blog.failbettergames.com/post/Worlds-exist.aspx

I know it will be unreasonable to let us hand out cross-worlds Nex / Fate via storylet, but is it possible to allow us to hand out Nex that are specific to one world? At least for popular worlds?

(Not that I need to or capable of building a popular world, but I am curious.)

Also in regard to the Night Circus; will it be also connected to StoryNexus?

And one more question: Have you considered iOS for StoryNexus? How feasible is it?

edited by Byron Man on 6/30/2012
edited by Byron Man on 6/30/2012

It was quite interesting indeed! I’m afraid I’ll have to break my earlier promise, however, as reading this post made me think. You mention that tips will be in Nex, and that Nex will function as a transglobal currency of sorts - an idea I heartily approve of, as I like the thought of being able to trade pretty words about spaceships for pretty words about dragons. However - I now have to wonder if there will be a way to transmogrify Nex back into real dollars. If the only thing you can buy with your Nex will be Nex-locked storylets, that… somewhat limits the attractiveness of the platform.

[color=#009900]‘Is it possible to allow us to hand out Nex that are specific to one world?’ No-one, Failbetter or otherwise, will ever be giving out Nex for free. They’re a means to pay for content with real-world money. If you want to lock content in your world to a limited resource that isn’t bought with money, you can just create a quality (Glorious Coins, Book Tokens) and require that to unlock content.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]

[color=#009900]iOS: No plans at the moment.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Night Circus: No, this is a Random House commission and operates under a different set of rules.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Nex->money: [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]We’ll track how much Nex has been spent on your world. [/color]Receiving Nex tips will have the same benefits as successfully charging for content - i.e., we’ll take a cut of the tips you’ve been paid and pass the rest on to you.

Another question: can we do multiple-actions-consuming branches just like you do? (i.e. Trading 5 Cellars of Wine for a Fourth City Airag requires 3 actions at once)

[color=#009900] multiple-actions-consuming branches: Yup![/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]

[color=#009900]Here’s a blog entry you may not have seen yet, with a lot more material on how SN works at the game level:[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
http://blog.failbettergames.com/post/Worlds-exist.aspx

So Nex-charging and Meta-qualities can only be used by authors / creators that are of some repute.

Can you adjust who gets to use your meta-qualities?

i.e. Author1 made a meta-quality called “Exampleland: Ate Pudding”, but Author1 only want Friend2, Friend3 to use it, and don’t want said meta-quality to shows up in some random strangers’ highly inappropriate bed-athleticism game.

[color=#009900]Can you adjust who gets to use your meta-qualities? [/color][color=#009900] It depends what you mean by ‘use’. We’re unlikely to approve someone giving it out for silly or unsuitable purposes (and you could complain to us if we did). We won’t prevent someone from unlocking personae based on your metaquality, but that’s unlikely to be a problem. We don’t allow miscreants to give out your front door key: we don’t prevent them from allowing your front door key to unlock their front door.[/color]

This might have been asked before elsewhere but I can’t find an answer. Does/will SN include functionality for equip-able Things that modify abilities, ie equipment like swords, clothes, tools?

[color=#009900]Equippable items: Now: no. In future: almost certainly.[/color]

SN is supposed to be pretty skinnable down the road. Will we be able to change the character creation screen at all? Specifically the language on “Character Name:” – I’d like to be able to change that to “Account Name” or something so players in my game don’t think they’re actually naming anything in-game.
edited by levineg85 on 7/30/2012

[color=#009900]The character creation page will be more customisable, but some terms - eg user, creator, player, character, quality - are SN terms of art, so we need to make sure they’re consistent across all worlds.[/color]

The Reference Guide says Rare Default Results are planned. I’d just like to say I very much look forward to this. Even on the little development I’ve done so far, I keep finding occassions where rare default results would be really handy.

Some remarks after playtesting: Looking forward to the renaming of the Pinned Cards section. I had assumed from the name that I would be able to pin cards there, as the only available alternative to discarding. But it turns out cards may be neither discarded nor pinned.

The menu allowing you to jump from game to game on StoryNexus is listing Fallen London and one or two SN games (one in Evolve, one in Heroic, two in Supernatural Seattle). It would be convenient if a consistent number of games would display in the menu, perhaps at this stage of the beta just list all games, and later on down the road list a curated top 5 or whatever, along with an ALL GAMES (or perhaps ALL WORLDS) link to a separate page where one can browse or search all the games.

The HELP link doesn’t seem to do anything when clicked on except make itself and the games menu disappear ;) I’m guessing that there is, or will be, some way for the game authors to create a help page, thus curing this behavior.

The right angle bracket plus the right arrow on the action buttons strike me as redundant-looking. Will game creators be able to choose just one or the other, or perhaps neither?

Exciting times for Failbetter, this beta plus the insane Kickstarter!

lily:
As ever, they’re on the list, but it’s a long list. We no longer let the tech department go home at all.

Genny:
Yeah, that was a little confusing, so we’ve settled on Sometimes/Always cards as the convention.
As to the other stuff, there are a lot of little tweaks to the interface that we’d like to do. But we’re swamped at the moment with adding other features and keeping up with bugs from the beta. So, we would ask you to be patient with the rough edges for a while. We will get around to them, but there’s a lot we have to do before then.

One suggestion: since trying to play while the creator’s modifying things tends to cause bugs, could an option be added for a creator to take a game “down for maintenance”?

I think the Key of Dreams is supposed to be used to lock-off content that’s not player-ready. You could use a similar idea if needs be to lock off content from the beta-testers (but not from yourself, the author). It’s not preferable to take down a released story if you can help it.

I mean temporarily disabling the entire game so that no one can see or waste actions on something that’s still being worked on.

James:
You have all the tools you need to lock off bits of content or the whole game. If you put a key of dreams requirement on any initial content, it means that players won’t be able to progress to anything later. If you have players already in the world and you want them out, I’d suggest putting up a very visible always card with ‘this game isn’t ready for playtesting yet - please click here’ and a game end effect on it.

Note that there’s no such thing as wasting actions, though - actions are per world. By using actions in an unfinished world, they’re not spending anything that they can use anywhere else.