Hey, where does the RNG live?

I have such mixed feelings about the RNG… on the one hand, I had to wait almost a month to max out criminal favors (while starting with 4) for my Ambition; on the other hand, I got the Blemmigan Secretary in success of a 48% check.

2 Likes

Oh, dear, if only we could use real dice…

Which, I’ve been thinking, might there be a FL x DnD?

1 Like

God, I hope not. FBG are actually good gamedevs who seem to care more about player satisfaction that squeezing wallets; I shudder to think what WOTC would do to them.

3 Likes

Oh no, no, I mean like an unofficial, player-controlled FLDnD. Like Pokémon DnD.

3 Likes

Stole the words out of my mouth, friend.

1 Like

There is this, although with a more appropriate system than DnD 5e.

2 Likes

Well, that could be very nice. I’m not sure the d&d system fits the FL universe very well but, well, it probably fits well enough that you can try.

I was wondering if there was maybe a CoC mod tbh

1 Like

Yeah. There’s dice rolls, attributes, a myriad of “races” and “items” to use. I could see it working.

2 Likes

I was thinking Blades in the Dark might be appropriate.

3 Likes

Call of Cthulhu would fit the Gothic Horror fantasy quite well and lend itself to a playstyle that emphasizes the various inhuman powers active in the neath. It does not translate well to the demi-godly status that the Fallen London PC reaches ultimately. I would probably use something that translates to scenes as a playing structure easily, like fate.

And because I am lazy I would really use existing systems and modules.

3 Likes

I think someone here made a FL COC module once, I’ll see if I can find it somewhere

Guys I mentioned COC bc it’s literally linked on this thread haha!

Oh, whoops! I forgot to actually click the link and thought it might be something different haha

1 Like

One of the hard parts about translating FL into an existing RP format is that many PC attributes and abilities are only vaguely defined. We have hints and a few examples of what can be done with high levels of Red Science/SotC, Monstrous Anatomy, Shapeling Arts and the like, but FBG tries, I think, to intentionally keep things fuzzy. This works fine for a game where you have only limited options during play, but creating mechanics for open world play is a whole other nodule of amber (so to speak).

And speaking of amber, given the tricky bits I noted above, FL might actually translate well to the Amber Diceless Roleplaying rules. Alternatively, an approach I’ve very much enjoyed collaborative writing FL RP with assorted people and groups over the years.

(Not that any of this helps locate the lair of the RNG.)

4 Likes

I was thinking about it and I actually think a reflavor/retool of Through The Breach would fit it pretty well for the same reasons. It has similar mechanics to Sunless Seas/Sunless Skies for character development and I think leaning towards more narrative focus with advanced skills being like, available but not necessarily ALWAYS available, and rather (similar to in FL) only available as an option the GM gives amongst other options for tackling a particular problem to move forwards the narrative, could be a way around it.

3 Likes

Hey, so I just heard of this new system that would be perfect for Fallen London…

4 Likes

Oh? Do tell us about said system.

I hear you’ll be able to learn all about it at https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnnyChiodini on the 23d. Exciting stuff.

1 Like

Funnily enough, about two months ago I finished making this:

Coincidence? Hmmm…

I guess this might also be an answer to this thread’s original question: RNG lives in my new dice bag :smiley_cat:

6 Likes