Help! I'm buried alive!

I don’t know if this the right place to post this, but I think it falls under the header of “asking other players for help”

For the past three days I’ve been trapped in “A small, velvet lined box” and I can’t, for the life of me, figure out how to get out. I only get two cards, one of which does nothing, and the other increases my “Recurring Dreams: Burial of the Dead”. I’ve gotten my wounds down to 0, and my nightmares down to 0, and I maxed out that dream, and I feel like I’ve tried every action and combination of actions and I can’t figure out how to get out. Am I just stuck forever? Is there a way I can spend fate to get out? I would totally spend fate so I can get back to playing the game.

[color=00ffff][Hi, Chris Gardiner here - I’ve investigated this and currently it’s death, not madness, that allows you to escape the box - I just wanted to edit this info into the first post in case other players in a similar situation came across it and were confused.][/color]
edited by Chris Gardiner on 2/14/2012

Die.

Or go mad.

(Okay, seriously: dying or doing mad takes you to a Place of Menace, and when you get out again, you’ll be in your Lodgings. Next time, watch out for Poor Edward… or perhaps invest some time into growing a St John’s Lily.)

Indeed. Although one rather wonders, how does dying or going mad get your body out of the coffin? Madness especially. Perhaps the Manager is even more potent than he seems…

Excellent question. Presumably, it provides a narrative time lapse in which someone can find us and dig us up.

My personal theory is that going insane literally teleports you to the Royal Beth. Possibly, dying teleports your body too. Though I have no idea how that would actually work.

Oh, that doesn’t make any sense at all… Why is there a “reduce nightmares” option down there if that’s never something that you would want to do?

Also, does anybody know idly how many change points it takes to get nightmares from 0 to 8? This could take a while… I had spent a lot of consumables in order to reduce my relevant menaces to 0 since I figured “being healthy and in a calm state of mind is the only way to get out of a situation like this, since going crazy or dying couldn’t possibly help.” The game should probably stop you from doing that…
edited by HelpIamaCabbage on 2/12/2012

This.

I believe that going mad/dying operates on the same principles as Prisoner’s Honey. When you are on a slow boat ride or at the hotel, you really are physically there and doing whatever it is you are doing, just like when you get exiled to the tomb colonies or sent to Newgate (again), though your mechanism for getting there is not Prisoner’s Honey related.

This.

I believe that going mad/dying operates on the same principles as Prisoner’s Honey. When you are on a slow boat ride or at the hotel, you really are physically there and doing whatever it is you are doing, just like when you get exiled to the tomb colonies or sent to Newgate (again), though your mechanism for getting there is not Prisoner’s Honey related.[/quote]

This is the conclusion I came to as well; largely as a result of the story line under discussion in this thread.

[quote=HelpIamaCabbage]
Oh, that doesn’t make any sense at all… Why is there a “reduce nightmares” option down there if that’s never something that you would want to do?
edited by HelpIamaCabbage on 2/12/2012[/quote]

Most of the menace areas do have a way to stay should you decide you really do like the atmosphere.

So, um… my nightmares are at 8 (after 45 actions) and I’m still trapped in the box. Apparently I can’t even go insane right.
edited by HelpIamaCabbage on 2/12/2012

[quote=HelpIamaCabbage]So, um… my nightmares are at 8 (after 45 actions) and I’m still trapped in the box. Apparently I can’t even go insane right.
edited by HelpIamaCabbage on 2/12/2012[/quote]
This may sound like an odd question…but do you have a goldfish with you? Or anything else that lowers your nightmares?

This may sound like an odd question…but do you have a goldfish with you? Or anything else that lowers your nightmares?[/quote]

In my inventory, yes.

Equipped? No my equipment currently is: Sneak-Thief’s Mask, Ratskin Suit, Master Thief’s Hands, Drownie Song of the Deep, Hushed Spidersilk Slippers, Devious Henchman.

I have a goldfish and a bejeweled cane in my inventory, but they are not equipped and I can’t get rid of them since you can’t get to the Bazaar from inside the small, velvet-lined box.

Nightmares are now past 10 (which would be 8 if I equipped the -nightmares equipment I have). Are we sure that “going insane” is a way to get out, or am I dealing with a bug here?

I had the same problem (staying buried even with my Nightmares above 8): dying finally got me out. So, it would seem that the Manager can’t quite reach us underground…

Hmm… since an important part of my character as I realized it was “putting a priority on never dying, so it can escape Fallen London eventually” maybe I’ll just make a new twitter account and start over. Bummer.

Unless of course somebody wants to be a kind angel and put a “get me out of here” option that I can spend fate on.

[quote=HelpIamaCabbage]Hmm… since an important part of my character as I realized it was “putting a priority on never dying, so it can escape Fallen London eventually” maybe I’ll just make a new twitter account and start over. Bummer.

Unless of course somebody wants to be a kind angel and put a “get me out of here” option that I can spend fate on.[/quote]

If you can’t go mad while you should, signal the bug to ebbugs@failbettergames.com. Or you could die and then still keep playing, with the priority “getting a sip of Hesperidean Cider” as a new long (loooooooong) -term goal!

This.

I believe that going mad/dying operates on the same principles as Prisoner’s Honey. When you are on a slow boat ride or at the hotel, you really are physically there and doing whatever it is you are doing, just like when you get exiled to the tomb colonies or sent to Newgate (again), though your mechanism for getting there is not Prisoner’s Honey related.[/quote]

This is the conclusion I came to as well; largely as a result of the story line under discussion in this thread.[/quote]

Except this doesn’t quite work. Dying while in Hunter’s Keep just leads to the sisters stitching you back up, you don’t go to the boat. (Unless you die from “The Fires of Truth”, but it’s anyone’s guess why.) The numerous sidebars about death in Fallen London seem to imply that someone finds your corpse and stitches you back together, and one card on the boat mentions “where you left your body”. Also, I’m pretty sure there are at least a few cases where NPCs die, and their bodies are still physically there while they resurrect. So no, that can’t be it – your soul must actually be what’s on the boat. (Although that raises the question of how it works if you’ve misplaced your soul…) It’s possible that your body is teleported back to your Lodgings upon revival, though. It’s very headache-inducing.

Teleporting when going mad is more plausible, though. I think that works.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if dying while soulless landed you on the Brass Trireme instead?

Brass Trireme? What’s that?