Hallowmas Betrayals for Connected: Masters

Might just be the luck of the draw. I forget what my success rate was last year, but when dealing with low numbers it’s easy to get a string of bad results.

Haha, yes. There we go! If there is a cap, we at least know it’s 12 or more.

Maybe I have all your luck? Only done two betrayals so far, both of them got me a visit from my favourite Master, and a point of that sweet, sweet connection. (Thank you Shalinoth, you were the second!)

Happy to oblige!

And an update: TIME the Healer arrived, so everyone can betray Shalinoth at-will now rather than wait for me to betray or whatever.

Have at it!

EDIT: Wow Sara you’re at Level 16 … let us know if it hits a cap, eh? Mine are only at 11-ish.
Surely by now you’ve got your own key to Mr Apples’ Yacht, and free access to Mr Wines’ cellars.

edited by Shalinoth on 11/4/2015

Kaigen, has Time come calling yet?

Psst… My Jack of Smiles has betrayed 42 people so far :D Ruthless good fun! 24 have betrayed him :) .

IRON

[quote=Shalinoth]Happy to oblige!

And an update: TIME the Healer arrived, so everyone can betray Shalinoth at-will now rather than wait for me to betray or whatever.

Have at it!

EDIT: Wow Sara you’re at Level 16 … let us know if it hits a cap, eh? Mine are only at 11-ish.
Surely by now you’ve got your own key to Mr Apples’ Yacht, and free access to Mr Wines’ cellars.[/quote]

As far as I know the action is uncapped; betrayals are a significant part of why my Master’s connection is as high as it is.

I’m having pretty decent luck on getting Mr Iron. But when you do… 10 in a row and it’s nothing but Mr Fires… GRRR!

This is a really late point to have this worry - but does betraying someone after they’ve trusted you prevent them from Devouring your confession next year for ‘free’ Spirit during the sending phase?

Please say it doesn’t, I’ve been a betraying minx this year!

I don’t think so but they don’t have to devour your confession they can sell it. Less Spirit but the possibility of a Night Whisper :)

Ah yes. I’m just glad that the sting of betrayal seems mainly to be a meagre bit of MW … and Scandal (which is helpful in many of our situations), both of which are manageable enough.

The main loss is with the betrayer then, they get less head-start next year. Thanks.

And updated! I could have moved the two time ones a bit sooner than this, but being slightly late is better than being too early.

This came in really handy this year, thank you for organising. :D

I have a suggestion for next year, but it would require a little bit of publicity (signature advertising maybe or thread-bumping nearer next Hallowmas would be enough.)

I saw at least 2 people were vocal about the sting of betrayal on the forums, so I started some discussion on etiquette for the future. But could be try to include a new list here next time for those who wish to have nothing whatsoever to do with betrayals? To have a list to honour from would minimise sour grapes a little more.

And another suggestion: perhaps we can network this thread with the Sign-up thread / google docs next year into one big community effort?

NiteBrite’s Confession list, Sara’s Betrayal list, and Vopel’s Menace list. It could be even more awesome if they were all Tabs of the same google doc! ~Shally :)

A No Betrayal list is definitely something I’m considering for next year. I’d also like to make a second post right after the main one to record people’s Time the Healer dates so careful betrayers can avoid costing anyone their Notability. NiteBrite has some big plans for the next Hallowmas’ organization, so I’ll contact them sometime beforehand to see if I can get this involved in some way.

[quote=Shalinoth]
I saw at least 2 people were vocal about the sting of betrayal on the forums, so I started some discussion on etiquette for the future. But could be try to include a new list here next time for those who wish to have nothing whatsoever to do with betrayals? To have a list to honour from would minimise sour grapes a little more.[/quote]
Personally, I assumed that not signing up for betrayals in the dedicated thread, or not posting that one wouldn’t mind being betrayed, was as good as saying that one wanted nothing to do with betrayals.

Mind you, the only character who’s betrayed my characters is nowhere to be found on the dedicated betrayal thread…

That was my initial thought, but there’s different levels of not caring for betrayals and having a list for those who adamantly dislike being betrayed might help deter some of those who’ll betray outside of the list.

Good idea. I mean, I won’t betray them, but that’s a matter of cold-blooded calculation, not anything external. If i knew who would be likely to swear undying vengance and who would settle for lethally poisoning me once, I’d be a lot more likely to factor said list in.

[quote=Zareen Bakara]
Personally, I assumed that not signing up for betrayals in the dedicated thread, or not posting that one wouldn’t mind being betrayed, was as good as saying that one wanted nothing to do with betrayals.

Mind you, the only character who’s betrayed my characters is nowhere to be found on the dedicated betrayal thread…[/quote]

Not opting in isn’t opting out, either. (I know, that’s a horrible policy in marketing. Less-so in a game I hope.) I just wanted to make a distinction between the taken for granted default preference not to be betrayed, and the hell-no folks who are chasing Notoriety or whatever reason.

There’s also the question of what percentage of the player-base even use the forums to find said lists? Hence surprise betrayals, no matter how prolific and well-organised this becomes next year. And consequently a large amount of those not on here declaring ‘ok to betray’ who are, in fact, more than fine with it, out there.

If the sign-ups and betrayal lists next year are cross-promoted, then we can at least be sure that people here know there is an opt-out available. Fairly sure it’ll be widely honoured by the more click-happy betrayers. Burning bridges in London isn’t easy to recover from.

I suppose it also wouldn’t be Hallowmas without a few frights, though. ::

I hope all the betrayers had (or will have) a good run! I took care of all my betrayals and was fortunate enough to bump my connected up a level.

[quote=Shalinoth]
There’s also the question of what percentage of the player-base even use the forums to find said lists? Hence surprise betrayals, no matter how prolific and well-organised this becomes next year. [/quote]
Actually, the character who betrayed my two alts wouldn’t have been able to find my alts if they didn’t look at general list, as these are characters who I just use for RPing purposes in plots involving a select few other players; thus their profiles are set to private. So this person must be part of the percentage of the player-base who uses the forum for lists. However, I did not see them sign up for any of the lists themselves. So they just used the lists to make requests and then betray people, it seems, without opening themselves up for reciprocal action. Clever, albeit inconsiderate.

I’m sure there’ll always be anomalies; it’s not as if anything we do could stop someone behaving like this. Most people used the system as intended. Anyway, my point is that I was only hit by unexpected betrayal from someone who already subverted the system, so I don’t expect someone like that to respect a &quotdon’t betray&quot list either. Maybe such a list would even be tempting to some.