Hallowmas 2022: the Feast of Masks

Last update on this - It is NOT necessary to remove the -2 nightmare gear. Turning in nightmares to the “fools judgement” with 9 nightmares while wearing -2 nightmare gear yields the same 45 Spirit of Hallowmass as does first removing the -2 nightmare gear.

That’s exactly what PJ said earlier. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Since it looks like we have a number of relatively new people on, it’s worth noting that if you have at least 3 Shapeling Arts, the Baby is the only carousel that actually pays you to do it. It’s not a ton, but the 7 CP option actually gets you a 2.5 Echo item, rather than costing.

This, in contrast to the other carousels, all of which cost resources to do in the most efficient way possible.

1 Like

For those looking for a quick burst of Spirit, if you’ve finished SMEN (or progressed sufficiently through it) you can celebrate being So Hungry under the pinned Attract a Visitor storylet to harvest between 2 to 21 points of Nightmares and Wounds (and maybe, just maybe, a Night-Whisper) all for the low, low price of 50 CP of Watchful! Probably sprinkle into a healthy diet of other menace gains rather than depending upon it, but at about 8 Spirit / Action it’s very efficient (until you account for actions getting your Watchful back, but you can do that when there isn’t a festival!)

1 Like

That’s true, but I also confused the matter by talking about a bug that hasn’t existed for a year. The text in the game always said that menace-increaring gear wouldn’t increase your gains (and by implication, menace-reducing gear must not reduce them either), but now it’s actually true and works as you would expect.

And now it’s all about increasing Spirit of Hallowmas while waiting for next week’s arrival of seven more confessions.

1 Like

Doesn’t the option you describe only occur inside the “Roof Below” and even then, only when the airs of Hallowmass are 67-100? While certainly this is profitable, it would seem to take a lot more actions than the Underclay option used to gain nightmares. You would have to use actions to enter the “Roof Below” as well as actions to cycle the airs of hallowmass. You would also have to wait for the card to enter the “Roof Below”.

I hoarded Spirit before it even had the vanity bonus, but 3 years of using that options was too much. It’s fun and games, but the post-season frustration is too big. Be free to try it for a fast boost or to get the Nightmares affiliation. My bet is that it won’t be available next year.

Unless we have a nice watchful boost grind! I didn’t finish the University and Talk to the Porters intensively!

EDIT: This year I’m trying to avoid that option and rely on different meants to get the wounds affiliation. Time to hoard some items too.

You’re misunderstanding, Vinish. Two things:

1. You don’t cycle in order to get the ‘profitable’ option, you just do the best option that comes up and 33% of the time you’ll get a 2.5 Echo item. This is in contrast to the other parties, which actually cost you resources to take the 7-change-point option.
  2. This is not the ‘most efficient’ way to increase Spirit of Hallowmass. It is, however, the only one that pays you. And last year I still got over 2500 Spirit doing this.

There’s a danger with being preoccupied with grinding Spirit of Hallowmas: you forget about other stuff, for example, keeping your Making Waves high enough to not let your Notability be destroyed when Time the Healer comes. Checking out the Rat Market over the weekend to get something you need etc.

I’ve recently finished building two railway stations, was about to start building the third when Hallowmas came along. So I guess those Railway board members will have to pleasure themselves in my absence… :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh. It’s my first Hallowmas. During the Fruits of the Zee I’ve collected a lot of items… but I’ve get bored and did not take all of then, including Lamp-cat. It remains only to regret. I have two free confessions left :pensive:
Well, it remains to hope that Lamp-cat will appear during one of the next Hallowmases.

I used the confessions that I could on both my main and my alt early in week one of Hallowmass and have been biding my time getting LOTS of spirit using the “Listen to the Silence” option in the Underclay. My main is at 1850 spirit so far while my alt is only at 1484 spirit. My main does not need any of the items given out so will probably just go for the vanity title but my alt is mostly used just to reduce the menaces of my main and needs all the items he can get so I will be trading in all of his spirit for items at the end of hallowmass.

Vinish, as I recall you can trade in spirit for items and get a vanity title too. People who have played longer than me can hopefully confirm.

In case it helps anyone, this is a good time of year to raise correspondence due to the easy menace reduction. Someone gave this tip last year and I maxed out mine as a result.

Can you reduce all your menaces easily during Hallowmass or only the one associated with the mask you chose?

All of them except the one that doesn’t have a mask that year. So, this year, the Fool will take your Wounds, Scandal and Nightmares, but not Suspicion.

Your use of the word “just” makes me wonder if you know how the turn-in actually works. What you’re saying is that your main wants to grind as much Spirit of Hallowmas as possible to increase the vanity quality, but your alt will stop at 2499 when it’s obtained the most Spirit that can be traded for items.

I only started playing in July of '21 and did not know what I was doing at last years Hallowmass so this is, effectively, my first Hallowmass and it would appear that I still do not know what I am doing :slight_smile:

I may have turned in a couple of hundred Spirit of Hallowmass (SoH) last year but, if so, I do not remember it. So please tell me how I turn in SoH. If I have 2500, am I prohibited from obtaining any of the rewards besides the vanity title? If I have ≥2500 SoH, can I turn in as many SoH as I want for any prizes they can “buy” or am I limited to just obtaining the vanity title? Is my “bank account” of SoH just a value that I can spend down on the various prizes until it reaches zero SoH and is the vanity title just one of the prizes, albeit a very expensive one at 2500 SoH? Thanks for any clarity you can bring to help dispel my ignorance.

If you have 2500 spirit or more, excess levels are converted to a vanity quality and your spirit is set to exactly 2499. You may then spend it on material rewards.

Does that mean there is no benefit to having anything more than 2500 SoH? Or, alternatively, is the vanity quality different with higher levels of SoH above 2499?

There is no mechanical benefit to exceeding 2,500. The vanity quality (Knight of Hallowmas) indeed has different text per level.