Hallowmas 1899

[quote=fishandchips]Isn’t it more pragmatic to wear the mask that you can’t easily obtain the factional favours for? Without a mask, you use one favour to access the location.

For this event, it’s between Criminals, Tomb Colonies and Revolutionaries.[/quote]Well, the simplest thing is to just focus on the masque whose host you want the reward from. Then just use that mask.

You can get entrances from the Maks and from favours. If you want a most Spirited Hallowmas, then you should be partying full-time in those pavilions (or doing less-festive Menace-increasing activities). I agree with Tsar Koschei: Pick the affilation you want (or the Menace you have the best affinity for), pick that mask and then also enter the party the hard way when the card is hiding from your deck.

[quote=fishandchips]Confession conversion at the three Masque locations:

Spite

Whimsy to Guile
Curiosity to Pride

Watchmaker’s Hill

Impropriety to Violence
Pride to Impropriety
Guile to Violence

Veilgarden

Impropriety to Curiosity
Violence to Whimsy
Whimsy to Pride

Looks like there is no way for Curiosity to be changed into Guile or Violence. You have to use an Impropriety or Pride or Whimsy to do that. :([/quote]
Thank you for listing these all out. I have the cycles figured now. I’ll add a picture later.

Any Confession can (eventually) be exchanged for any other confession, but in some cases it takes multiple conversions.

The six confessions sort into two cycles of three confessions each.

Cycle 1: Guile -> Violence -> Whimsey -> Guile
Cycle 2: Pride -> Impropriety -> Curiosity -> Pride

In both cycles, the first conversion is in Watchmaker’s, the second in Veilgarden, and the third in Spite.

Additionally, there are two bridges between the cycles. You can cross from Cycle 1 to Cycle 2 by converting Whimsey to Pride in Veilgarden; and from Cycle 2 to Cycle 1 by converting Impropriety into Violence in Watchmaker’s Hill.

The longest cycle is converting Guile to Curiosity or vice-versa, both of which require 5 exchanges (and 4 party entrances). You can, of course, trade with players instead.

[quote=James StAnthony][color=#0066ff] They are joined by a new mask: the Infant[/color][color=#0066ff] [/color][/quote] Too scary for me!

My initial thought was to use Unwise Ideas to make menaces, but that first Unwise Idea can be tricky to get (I think it’s all rare successes?) so that’s not very efficient. Ah well, party on! (with some liberal candle-hungering for spice, of course)

After careful consideration, I have obtained the Pirate and the Stormy-eyed Scoundrel.

Remaining confessions: 2x Curiosity, 1x Impropriety.

Hope to get Violence and/or Guile next week. It’s a shame there is no direct pathway to convert Curiosity to them.

The remaining Impropriety rewards are either Fate-only or rather useless, I will get rid of them.

Also, apologies to the guy whom I had rejected trading my Whimsy to exchange for Guile. I needed my Whimsy and Whimsy -> Guile is an available direct conversion.

I’m crossing my fingers for Bird Week tomorrow. I have a huge number of very valuable and extremely implausible skeletons I’d like to sell, and I’d appreciate the one-action suspicion wipe even if there was no festival-related gain to be had

Oh Knights of Hallowmas past: does the amount of spirit > 2500 all convert to Knight rank points, or is it just one rank point per year that you attain Knighthood? Just wondering if it is worth getting more than 2501 spirit. Thanks!

Last year, the amount of spirit determined your title. It was just bragging rights above 2500 and you could turn in Spirit for end-of-festival rewards, but nothing was priced higher than 2500.

To be clear, all spirit above 2499 was converted to Knight of Hallowmas. You only had a maximum of 2499 to spend on the rewards. If you wanted the one that cost 2000 and the one that cost 1500, you can’t get them both in the same year. (The 1500 reward is the only one that you can’t easily get by other means, though)

May I know what are the rewards typically given at the end of the Hallowmas event, after collecting a bunch of spirits?

[quote=PSGarak]You can get entrances from the Maks and from favours. If you want a most Spirited Hallowmas, then you should be partying full-time in those pavilions (or doing less-festive Menace-increasing activities). I agree with Tsar Koschei: Pick the affilation you want (or the Menace you have the best affinity for), pick that mask and then also enter the party the hard way when the card is hiding from your deck.[/quote]Yeah, I think what I’ll do is sit and draw cards as I build up actions, see if the mask card pops up, if it does so much the better, if not I’ll enter via favor once my actions are near cap.

[quote=Shaerys]Oh Knights of Hallowmas past: does the amount of spirit > 2500 all convert to Knight rank points, or is it just one rank point per year that you attain Knighthood? Just wondering if it is worth getting more than 2501 spirit. Thanks![/quote]Pretty sure it all adds up and accumulates. As I recall, the tiered rank quality was launched last Hallowmas and already then your placement was based on your score for the year.

For what it’s worth, I’ve gotten the Mask card 5 times in 25ish draws so far. Much more often than last year. I don’t think we’ll need favors and careful optimization as much as last year. The addition of the Tracklayers Helmet also makes the Baby Mask more competitive, though the Moth is still best in terms of number of times you have to get the card vs. turn-ins due to being able to stack -2 Nightmares.

Is it a good idea to change your mask?

I have the Baby Mask now.

Great, thanks everyone! Last year I’d stopped at 2300 or so not realizing there was a vanity quality available at 2500 and was rather miffed (I don’t think they actually advertised it last year – this year’s guides seem more thorough!). We’ll see if I can make up for some lost time this year. :-)
edited by Shaerys on 10/25/2021

They did mention something about it, but nobody was quite sure how it was going to work until the event ended.

[quote=Toran]The addition of the Tracklayers Helmet also makes the Baby Mask more competitive, though the Moth is still best in terms of number of times you have to get the card vs. turn-ins due to being able to stack -2 Nightmares.[/quote]Yeah it helps a bit, though it’s annoying that the only wound-reducer has to be in the head slot so you can’t do the mask actions with it.

Also, if I wasn’t locked into the Wounds route here, I could actually do -2 Suspicion, or -3 Nightmares, and both of those allow keeping the mask on.

So yeah, if you just want to grind maximum Spirit then Moth is definitely the way to go.
edited by Tsar Koschei on 10/25/2021

[quote=fishandchips]Is it a good idea to change your mask?

I have the Baby Mask now.[/quote]

Try not to change too frequently if you wish to scrimp on the Spirit of Hallowmas. For lore collection, mask changing is a must.

A word of warning, the actions that require the Cherub Mask in the new Masquerade area DO NOT lock you out when you reach wounds 7. I’m now currently sitting on a slow moving river having my own private masquerade with a boatman who’s skeletal visage I know only too well is not actually a mask.

So the upgraded pirate-poet grants +2 zeefaring. Do any of the other new ones have a +2 bonus?

[quote=fishandchips]Seems like a lot of the items require the Railway to be unlocked first (Upper River Exchange), or require some advanced Renown (e.g. The Chap on the Corner, Constables Renown 25).

Therefore whatever’s remaining shall be my targets.[/quote]
Indeed. I’m in the same boat. Nothing is immediately available to me, except the freebies. I’m a bit disappointed that none of my regular companions seem upgradable, given that in previous years you could do storm birds, warblers, talkative rats and such.

I might buy the Pirate Poet. She’s cheap and Zeefaring. Very uncertain what to do right now. The roseate antagonist could guard my Parabola camp but I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

This will require some planning.

I’m torn between the two options for our new Rubbery friend. Has anyone echoed their respective texts?