Hallowmas 1899

[color=#0066ff]A damp fog fills London’s streets. Londoners of all stripes lurk in its concealment: masked, cloaked, triply hidden. It is the season of Hallowmas, of the commission and purging of sin. Londoners seek out the Attendants – the masked representatives of the Bazaar – to be shriven.[/color]

[color=#0066ff]The end of October is upon us, and with it, another Hallowmas comes to Fallen London, starting today: a free festival, open to all Londoners.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]This year, Hallowmas will take place from today, 25th October, until the 8th of November.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]You will be able to glimpse your Destiny from today.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]After the festival closes on the 8th, you’ll be able to turn in confessions and claim rewards until the 15th.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color][color=#0066ff]Your Presence is Awaited[/color][ul][li][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]Go masked to exclusive Hallowmas parties. Each mask unlocks a particular revel, with its own unique opportunities.[/color][/li][li][color=#0066ff]Raise your wounds, suspicion and nightmares, and unburden yourself to the seven Attendants.[/color][/li][li][color=#0066ff]Expose certain of your Companions to the sights of Hallowmas and leave them changed.[/color][/li][/ul][color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Confessions will be released for free during the Festival, and also available to buy for Fate. You will receive a maximum of 14 free Confessions (some in week one, and more in week two).[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]There are six types of Confession in total. Confessions can be unlocked on the Streets of London: Hallowmas 1899 card, and traded with other players to achieve the combination you desire. This year, all types of confessions will be available from the outset of the festival.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]In order to make a trade with someone else in Fallen London, you will need to add them as an acquaintance, either by visiting their profile page and clicking ‘add contact’ or by typing in their character name during the trade.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]What’s different this year?[/color][color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]We have some new and returning delights in store for you.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Confess your sins: A new companion, the Rubbery Newcomer can be encountered at the onset of Hallowmas this year, and upgraded through Confessions.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]This year, we’ve broadened what a Hallowmas confession can give you. Unburdening yourself to an attendant might give you an item other than a companion, or require an item other than a companion. In those cases, the reward item is an addition, not an upgrade – you’ll keep the original item or companion. In total, seven new Companions and two other new items are available through Confession this year.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]We’ve also brought some fan favourite companions from years past back into the confession rotation this year. Say hello again to the Ex-Privateer Illuminator, Consummate Wallflower, Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat, and Haunted Goldfish.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Don your mask: Hallowmas masks are now wearable items that confer powerful attribute bonuses to your character, for the duration of the event. Wearing your mask will also allow you to see the opportunity card that leads to one of the Hallowmas masquerades – which now appears at a higher frequency than before.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]The Demon mask has fallen out of fashion for this year. The Moth and Crown masks return with new art. They are joined by a new mask: the Infant, which will lead you to an all-new masquerade.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]At the end of Hallowmas, those masks will become souvenir items that are no longer equippable. For Fate, you will be able to purchase a permanent version of the item.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Face your shame: The Silent Shame, previously an attendant, has been elevated to preside over a new masquerade. The Roof Below is held deep in the dangerous Prickfinger Wastes, where the razor-sharp stalagmites might leave your clothes ragged and your skin bloodied.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]I[/color][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]nside, guests may learn something of the peculiar practices of the Rubbery Men. Enjoy yourself – you might leave the party feeling like a whole new person.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Raising your Nightmares, Suspicion or Wounds this hallowmas will bring a visitation from the Fool’s Apostate, clearing the Menace and raising your Spirit of Hallowmas. Accruing enough Spirit will bring a visitation at the end of the festival; as usual, up to 2500 Spirit will bring rewards, and any additional amount will uplift you in the ranks of the Knights of Hallowmas.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]If you mainly increase your Nightmares or Suspicion, you will be able to obtain a unique item, as in previous years. And a new unique reward is available if you focus on Wounds instead.[/color]

Well well! That pirate-poet upgrade is certainly a priority.

My first Hallowmas. Let’s see what happens. I might need help. Trade confessions? Count me in!

At first glance nothing interesting for me except pirate-poet.

Alrighty, I have the confessions:

1x Pride
3x Curiosity
1x Whimsy
2x Impropriety

I lack Guile and Violence.
Some of the greyed out prerequisite items and companions, I’m not too sure how to get them.

There’s next week too, for another seven random confessions.

I might have to sell my breastplate to get that Misplaced Ring companion in enough time to also get a satisfactory level of Hallowmas spirit.
I’m also incredibly torn between my loyalty to the crown and the frisbee baby. What an event.

EDIT: Also, the Rubbery Men option in “Entering the Roof Below” is missing the “s” in “said”. I’ll be calling the police shortly, Failbetter.
edited by RoyalRaven on 10/25/2021

[quote=RoyalRaven]
EDIT: Also, the Rubbery Men option in “Entering the Roof Below” is missing the “s” in “said”. I’ll be calling the police shortly, Failbetter.[/quote]

Proofreading is a lost art in these times.

[quote=fishandchips][quote=RoyalRaven]
EDIT: Also, the Rubbery Men option in “Entering the Roof Below” is missing the “s” in “said”. I’ll be calling the police shortly, Failbetter.[/quote]

Proofreading is a lost art in these times.[/quote]

I just reckon it slipped through with all the work that was done this Hallowmas. I did originally misread it as AIDS, though, which gave me a quite a fright in terms of what Failbetter might have planned for the Hallowmas Masques this year.

It is entirely possible that FBG keep including Pirate Poet content just to make me go PIRATE POET PIRATE POET PIRATE POET.

…it’s working!

[quote=Waterpls]At first glance nothing interesting for me except pirate-poet.[/quote]The jester upgrade with the ring seems like the second best option. No immediately obvious use for it but I guess it might be potentially valuable for some imagined future challenge that uses combined anatomy and red science.

Other than that it does look like rather slim pickings unless any of the basic skill items turn out to be BiS, or some of the advanced skill bonuses are +2 instead of +1.

I was just about to ask about that. It seems that all the fate-free advanced skills items/companions available can be replaced, at least advanced skills-wise, by similar companions from Whitsun, is that right?

I’m actually a little relieved that I’ll be making several picks this year based on want rather than need. The Pirate-Poet and the Liquid Debutante fit into both categories anyways, but there’s a few that catch my eye regardless of the effects, and I’m glad I won’t have to sacrifice top-shelf equipment to grab them.

[quote=Anthony]I was just about to ask about that. It seems that all the fate-free advanced skills items/companions available can be replaced, at least advanced skills-wise, by similar companions from Whitsun, is that right?[/quote]It does seem that way, assuming you have the augmentation device. Mind you, there have been past Hallowmas companions that gave +2 bonuses to advanced skills, so I guess we won’t know until we see.

Seems like a lot of the items require the Railway to be unlocked first (Upper River Exchange), or require some advanced Renown (e.g. The Chap on the Corner, Constables Renown 25).

Therefore whatever’s remaining shall be my targets.

So which Masque are you guys going to?

Clandestine parties
There are three balls available to attend during Hallowmas – the Masques. To attend, each requires a Favour from one of several Factions. Which Factions depends on the Masque.

Each Masque enables the accrual of a specific Menace. Each Masque is also linked to one of the Hallowmas Masks. Wearing the Mask which matches the Masque will open unique, more lucrative options. Wearing a Mask will also enable the appearance of an Opportunity Card that allows easier access to the Masque.

The Masques are located in Veilgarden, Spite and Watchmaker’s Hill.

I understand, thanks for the observation about the +2s .

No worries. I do see it as rather unlikely that the Newcomer upgrades will grant +2 bonuses, but we’ll see.

[quote=fishandchips]So which Masque are you guys going to?[/quote]I’ve done the crown and moth masques in previous years, and the demon is unavailable this year, so my choice has really been made for me.

I have donned the visage of the frisbee baby. It’s horrifying mane of arms has already brought me luck, because I think this is the first ever Hallowmas where I got just the right confessions to immediately upgrade the exact two companions (the Incognito Princess and the Pirate-Poet) I absolutely wanted.

Glory to the Frisbee Baby.

Confession conversion at the three Masque locations:

Spite

Whimsy to Guile
Curiosity to Pride

Watchmaker’s Hill

Impropriety to Violence
Pride to Impropriety
Guile to Violence

Veilgarden

Impropriety to Curiosity
Violence to Whimsy
Whimsy to Pride

Looks like there is no way for Curiosity to be changed into Guile or Violence. You have to use an Impropriety or Pride or Whimsy to do that. :(

Isn’t it more pragmatic to wear the mask that you can’t easily obtain the factional favours for? Without a mask, you use one favour to access the location.

For this event, it’s between Criminals, Tomb Colonies and Revolutionaries.