Hallowmas 1897

There are indeed - at least one at every revel.

Did anyone saw different options in the menaces states? The Mirror-Marshes, Venderbight and the prison? It does say in the guide to Hallowmas that they opened up new options. Sounds like something to try before you switch your mask.

I am Seeing the St. Elmo storylet option with one character but not another. I’m assuming that’s a big and should be reported?

Oh, I am going back to the Crown. I am vain.

But I feel that all masks would open the options in the menace areas. I will probably try those out in the second week, as I intend to spend the firts week exclusively carousing.

…and now I have donned all three masks.
Note that they open not one but two extra options in each area. The second opens after menace 5. So if you want to experience everything in each ball, you will need to enter with the proper mask - plus you had better avoid any menace-gear. They help you exit faster, but they won’t let you get the options as you will be expelled as soon as you get to 5 instead of 7.

[color=#0066ff]I’m glad to see everyone having fun with the new elements of Hallowmas![/color]

Is there a listing of current suspicions of who each of the Attendants and heads of the parties are?

Oh yes very much thank you! These shake-ups add some interesting elements.
edited by Lady Karnstein on 10/25/2019

If anyone’s upgraded their crossword enthusiast, I’d adore to see the story and item text. I want to know more about this fellow, y’know?

I upgraded him in an alt account +8 watchful +2 dreaded I think I don’t know the upgrade text but his character text says he produces a flurry of deconded messages proving the rot in London long story short church tries to fill its coffers the government protects the powerful and only hell is honest about its intentions

Which, considering the fact that said intentions involve making our souls more palatable for consumption and then relieving us from them, hardly makes them the morally superior faction ;)

I add my voice to those expressing gratitude for and enthusiasm about this year’s rendition of Hallowmas. I especially appreciate all the fantastic new artwork to go along with the (as always superb) new writing!

So far, i don’t think there is any new upgraded companion best in class yet(considering stats bonus), right?

Anyone has efficient menace boost process?
Besides using dupes, i kinda like shaping masterpiece for empress in her court. The Bohemians option increases scandal +1 and gives 15 inspired and there are certain minor works that give +10 scandal once finished (+30 E rewards and progress toward Poet-Laureat if that’s your fetish).

And finally, anyone aware about final spirit of hallowmas related reward that will depend on majority of menaces turned it to Attendants, what can we expect?

Using revolutionary favours for music-related masterpieces (I do ballets) increases suspicion.

I think they have changed the mechanics such that boosting your menace with gear will not advance your Spirit of Hallowmas. I just left the St Dunstan’s masque to cash in Scandal that had been raised by bonnet, stockings, etc, and the message on the Fool’s Judgment said something like &quotItems which provide bonuses to Nightmares [sic, I assume an editing error on the part of Failbetter] will not count towards your Spirit of Hallowmas gain.&quot

[quote=Ulysses Kingfisher]I think they have changed the mechanics such that boosting your menace with gear will not advance your Spirit of Hallowmas. I just left the St Dunstan’s masque to cash in Scandal that had been raised by bonnet, stockings, etc, and the message on the Fool’s Judgment said something like &quotItems which provide bonuses to Nightmares [sic, I assume an editing error on the part of Failbetter] will not count towards your Spirit of Hallowmas gain.&quot[/quote]Yes, the Fool’s Judgement now includes a message about this. There goes my plan for chugging my massive supply of Black Wings Absinthe while wearing Scandal-boosting gear! That’s ok, though – it’s much more fun to raise Menaces at the three parties.

Here are a some questions I have:

• Does anyone know if there’s an upper limit on the reward we get at the end of Hallowmas for our level of Spirit? For example, will the reward max out at, say, 500 Spirit of Hallowmas? I could spend the whole festival grinding Spirit (and I’m sure some people are going to pull a NiteBrite and raise it to absurd levels as a personal challenge), but it would be nice to know what the amount needed for the highest reward is.[/li][/ul][ul][li]I know that there are new storylets available in the Mirror Marches, New Newgate, and the Tomb-Colonies if you’re wearing the associated mask, but are the new storylets found on opportunity cards, or can you access them without cards? And how many new storylets are there in the Menace areas – one per area, or more?[/li][/ul][ul][li]Does the card ‘Visitors at Hallowmas’ only show up if you have 5+ Nightmares?

It does also show up if you have less Nightmares. You’ll be locked out of most options till you raise it to 5 though.

The amount of Spirit you get now appears to be tied to the unmodified Menace level:

Menace - Spirit
3 - ?
4 - 10
5 - ?
6 - 22
7 - ?
8 - 34
9 - 40

Presumably, 7 still gives 28, and the reward seems to be growing by 6 per Menace level.
edited by mp on 10/25/2019

So it’s still better to use menace-increasing gear, because the CP cost to increase menaces is higher at higher levels?
It will also, of course, depend on how much menace CP you get per action (because the trade-in also costs an action).
Let’s say 6 menace cp/action (actions to cycle through are rounded up, because you lose any extra menace without getting any extra spirit, at least I expect so) …
3 … needs 6 cp … 6/6+1=2 actions … presumably 4/2=2 spirit/action
4 … needs 10 cp … 10/6+1=3 actions … 10/3=3.33 spirit/action
5 … needs 15 cp … 15/6+1=4 actions … presumably 16/4=4 spirit/action
6 … needs 21 cp … 21/6+1=5 actions … 22/5=4.4 spirit/action
7 … needs 28 cp … 28/6+1=6 actions … presumably 28/6=4.66 spirit/action
8 … needs 36 cp … 36/6+1=7 actions … 34/7=4.85 spirit/action
9 … needs 45 cp … 45/6+1=9 actions … 40/9=4.44 spirit/action

looks like at high menace addition gear the extra action per cycle wins
and at high menace reduction gear the higher CP cost per menace level wins
and you want to target gearing with -1 menace, but it’s only barely better than no modifier at all

Looks like Menace CP to Spirit level is 1:1 (makes sense). So it is most efficient to use less actions converting.
Thus grinding with Menace reduction gear.

Edit: Spelling mistake.

2nd Edit:
I misinterpreted the data. Thank you for correcting me, mp, your post is really helpful.
edited by Μαρσ on 10/25/2019

Looks like Menace CP to Spirit level is 1:1 (makes sense). So it is most efficient to use less actions converting.
Thus grinding with Menace reduction gear.

Edit: Spelling mistake.
edited by Μαρσ on 10/25/2019[/quote]

It’s not quite 1:1, except for when you’re exactly at Menace 4 or 7. Menace CP between full levels also don’t seem to be affecting the outcome.
edited by mp on 10/25/2019

I love the three masked ball. I wish the type of Menace tied to each ball were better foreshadowed in the choice of mask, although they might already be foreshadowed and I’m just to stupid to notice it.

I don’t quite understand how the confession system work. I choose the moth mask and went to the ball in Veilgarden (hehe, moth ball). Someone came to see me when my nightmare quality reached 7. After that, I could get a random confession, until the option disappeared, a little bit after (but not immediately after, if my memory is correct) I had changed my mask to the one representing a demon, and made an appearance to the ball in watchmaker’s hill. However, I decided then to return to the derelict ship, and raised my suspicion to 7, to get another visitor (not to be confused with a strange visitor, who show your futur), but the option to get a confession did not reappeared. Speaking of strange visitor, was this because I made the moronic decision to choose a possible futur, and therefore made the &quotThe Gates of Midnight&quot option appeared, when I already had a destiny?

Sorry for the questions. I don’t think it’s a bug, probably just a screw up on my part. It’s probably incredibly obvious to everyone what I did wrong, but I have the intellectual capacity of a slug, so I don’t understand.