Hallowmas 1897

I’m not going to disagree.

I noticed that as well. Perhaps they changed plans this year? Perhaps it’s a mistake? Either way, I suspect it all adds up to the same thing in the end.

So is there absolutely no way of getting more than 13 confessions without paying Fate, or am I missing something? And what if I don’t collect my 7 free Confessions in week one? Will I still get 13 in week two?

Apparently yes, to the first question.

To the second, there’s a quality (can’t find the name, sorry) that ticks up each time you get a confession. I assume then that next week will simply raise the cap in the confession storylet, so that you’d be able to get them all either way.

(N.B. This is an educated guess, with all the usual caveats appertaining thereunto.)

I love the rubbery feline! That is all.

Oh, and I have 3 confessions of pride I’m willing to trade for anything
edited by Winthropx on 10/24/2019

So which mask corresponds to which menace?

devil scandle crown suspicion moth nighmares

I do have one question: Thirteen confessions is cute and all, but why give an odd number, when every companion requires two to upgrade? Does this just doom Fate-less players to having one confession wasted?

Another question: What will we need spirit of Hallowmas for? I want to try on all three masks, and then go back to my original crown mask. Am I likely to be short of it for something?

The Condolent Monkey, Iconoclastic Cryptanalyst, and Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat each require three confessions, so if a player gets either one or all three then they can use all their confessions without fate.

The rewards you get at the end of the festival depend on your Spirit of Hallowmas level.

This is a great new system for Hallowmas. So many new things to do and read.

After a bit of messing about with masques & masks and spirit, it looks like I’m going to have to figure out how to optimise menace gains, which is an interesting twist.

It’s even better for new players, who can spam difficult challenges for stat gain with impunity, and then dump all the menaces from failing once it hits 7.

Or technically 5/6 - if you don’t already have 'em, get the menace-boosting hats & stockings from Maywell at the Bazaar, because these count:

https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Hat#Nightmares
https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Boots#Scandal

Oh, and a rubbery cat! No-one knew they wanted one of them 'til now.

Unknown, but:

“At the end of the festival, you’ll be visited by a special character who will provide rewards dependent on the level of your Spirit of Hallowmas. The nature of this character will depend on the Menace you’ve most frequently converted.”

This says nothing about the nature of the reward of course;) My guess would be some sort of +20 watchful mayor-related ‘weapon’, based on the lance/debating lessons from the last 2 years, but who knows really. When there’s expectations for things like this, FB do seem to like changing it up.

Anyway, if you don’t have an alt character to try out the other masks on, the loss of spirit (max is 30 to try all 3, and that’s assuming the one you have now is the one you want to max the menace type of) seems pretty low compared to how much you get - I already have 74 after just 3 menace wipes.

True. Still, if someone was to link their conversation with the Queen of Air and Darkness, I would love to read it…

One can do that? Huh. I never saw an option for this. Are there certain requirements for this or was I just unlucky?

Who do people think is the Fool’s Apostate is?
My guess is [spoiler] Virgina, but I’m confused at why she’s be unfamiliar to you. [spoiler/]
edited by Winthropx on 10/25/2019

The Condolent Monkey, Iconoclastic Cryptanalyst, and Morally and Physically Flexible Rubbery Cat each require three confessions, so if a player gets either one or all three then they can use all their confessions without fate.[/quote]
Ah, I missed that somehow. Thank you for pointing it out.

Well luckily there’s only 3 companions I want this year. Unluckily, i got 4 confessions of curiosity and I need none of them.

Looking to trade confessions of curiosity for Guile/Violence/Whimsy!

Here. Both options which require the Moth mask.

(Considering the corresponding menace and some parts of that text, I wonder if she may be

the Red-Handed Queen?)

Or the Captivating Princess…

Speaking of, we know of the identities of all but two Attendants: the Glasswhisper, and the Fool’s Apostate. My guess for the Glasswhisper is the Honey-Addled Detective for &quotthe mirrors are covered. The Glasswhisper must be aboard.&quot, indicating that like the Detective, that they definitely don’t like the mirrors.

lxc, Where did you learn that the Honey-Addled Detective does not like mirrors? I can well believe it, but where did you learn it?

[quote=yetanotherone]This is a great new system for Hallowmas. So many new things to do and read.

After a bit of messing about with masques & masks and spirit, it looks like I’m going to have to figure out how to optimise menace gains, which is an interesting twist.

It’s even better for new players, who can spam difficult challenges for stat gain with impunity, and then dump all the menaces from failing once it hits 7.

Or technically 5/6 - if you don’t already have 'em, get the menace-boosting hats & stockings from Maywell at the Bazaar, because these count:

https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Hat#Nightmares
https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Boots#Scandal

Oh, and a rubbery cat! No-one knew they wanted one of them 'til now.

Unknown, but:

&quotAt the end of the festival, you’ll be visited by a special character who will provide rewards dependent on the level of your Spirit of Hallowmas. The nature of this character will depend on the Menace you’ve most frequently converted.&quot

This says nothing about the nature of the reward of course;) My guess would be some sort of +20 watchful mayor-related ‘weapon’, based on the lance/debating lessons from the last 2 years, but who knows really. When there’s expectations for things like this, FB do seem to like changing it up.

Anyway, if you don’t have an alt character to try out the other masks on, the loss of spirit (max is 30 to try all 3, and that’s assuming the one you have now is the one you want to max the menace type of) seems pretty low compared to how much you get - I already have 74 after just 3 menace wipes.[/quote]

No, you should lose no more than 20. Because there are only three masks, so you only lose when you switch to the second, and then the third; that’s only two switches, not three (unless you switch back to your first one–which is not required of course).

[quote=Catherine Raymond]I am more perturbed by the fact that you need to trade with Acquaintances. My Acquaintances have maxed out a long while ago.

For any of them listening, I have (among other things) 3 Confessions of Curiosity. I seek to trade two of them One for a Confession of Guile, one for a Confession of Whimsy.[/quote]There is a storylet at the Sacristy of St. Dunstan where you can exchange a Confession of Curiosity for one of Pride when the Airs of Hallowmas are 34-66. That’s the only storylet I’ve found so far for trading confessions without the aid of another player; there may be others.