Hallowmas 1896: The Mystery of the Rosers

Were we supposed to get confessions today? I have no option to get any. I also have The aftermath of an Audacious Theft 13. Is that leftover from last year? I also never saw the starting story. I just had all the other stories right away. Contacted Support. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.
edited by Winthropx on 10/24/2018
edited by Winthropx on 10/24/2018

[quote=Winthropx]Were we supposed to get confessions today? I have no option to get any. I also have The aftermath of an Audacious Theft 13. Is that leftover from last year? I also never saw the starting story. I just had all the other stories right away.
edited by Winthropx on 10/24/2018[/quote]

Same here.

What’s the difference between spending confessions with the Princess, Widow, and Duchess to gain Clues (which uses 2 confessions) and spending confessions on them to increase Progress (which uses 1)? I know the Envoy is looking for Clues, but what exactly does increasing Progress do?

Can we get confirmation on whether there will be a way to get extra confessions without fate?

Anyone who still has Aftermath of an Audacious Theft 13 should definitely contact support with their character name.

Excited as always for Hallowmas. Particularly excited for many of the possible companions. Most extraordinarily excited about the Rosers. (Prof. Kan isn’t the only one intrigued by Neathy mysteries.) Okay, possibly extremely excited to delve into the Rosers.

Not, however, very excited about the number of decisions that one has to make in the dark. Confessions are a limited quantity, as they always have been, but I don’t recall so much uncertainty in the past about the effect of using those confessions. Is it better to get Clues for the Envoy, or to further the investigation of one’s preferred Woman of Mysterious Background ™? How should I prioritize these things against picking up the companions I may be interested in? I have no idea, because the effects of all of these clues and progresses are hidden.

If it were possible, with work, to Do All The Things, or at least enough of The Things that you could correct for one or two missteps, then this mysterious investigating might be exciting. As is, however, Hallowmas is more like trying to plan a family vacation on too small a budget, where you need discipline and tight planning to make sure that you get the results you want–or at least enough of them that it’s not a disappointment. In that context, the Clue/Progress uncertainty is like being asked to spend that tight budget on a mystery box. It could be a free week in Venice during Carnival. It could be mucking your uncle’s stables. Which is it? You may not know until it’s too late to change tacks.

I am worried that a lot of people are going to screw themselves over this Hallowmas.

I do wonder if the upgraded Scuttering Squad would be worth it… There are two possibilities and while I would under normal circumstances buy 2 squads just to have both outcomes, I now cannot afford that as I’m saving up for an Übergoat. ~
Does anyone have any Echoes on the upgraded Companions and their respective upgrades? Cheers!

Currently trading 2 Confessions of Whimsey for 2 Confessions of Violence, anyone up for it?

and I was so prepared for another notability grind :( I was also holding back from getting cider just in case we needed something else at hallowmas and there is no way to acquire extra confessions this year :(

My problems with the current set up are that we will most likely only get three goes at grabbing Confessions a day…and the fact that they are dictated through something similar to the Airs and Openings.

Also I talked to the Mayor before I grabbed any Confessions and apparently that counted towards my three.

Also it’s mildly annoying that grabbing a Confession sends you back to the Main Story tab.

Official word is that after today’s three free confessions, it’s one free confession every weekday through the 6th. If you don’t get the confessions you want, you can always trade with other players though.

Noticed these errors myself and they make me cringe, because this is a world of words.

Here’s a comical error that may be terrifyingly revealing. It comes after selecting the Mog from the Envoy:

&quot
A visitor
An attendant hands you the writhing Mog. The Envoy herself seems much relieved. This business being concluded, she introduces herself properly: she is an embassy for her queen, who is seeking an answer that only London can provide. &quot

Emphasis is my own. The Envoy is an embassy? How exactly does she… house the queen? Inside her mind? Inside her body? Geiger-like visions ensue.

edited by Shalinoth on 10/24/2018

[quote=Shalinoth]Noticed these errors myself and they make me cringe, because this is a world of words.

Here’s a comical error that may be terrifyingly revealing. It comes after selecting the Mog from the Envoy:

&quot
A visitor
An attendant hands you the writhing Mog. The Envoy herself seems much relieved. This business being concluded, she introduces herself properly: she is an embassy for her queen, who is seeking an answer that only London can provide. &quot

Emphasis is my own. The Envoy is an embassy? How exactly does she… house the queen? Inside her mind? Inside her body? Geiger-like visions ensue.[/quote]An embassy can also refer to the people (or, in this case, person) in an ambassadorial delegation, not just the physical building where their diplomatic office is.

I stand corrected! But continue to be amused by its plural implications.
edited by Shalinoth on 10/24/2018

[quote=Shalinoth]I stand corrected! But continue to be amused by its plural implications.[/quote]Honestly, I prefer your unsettling interpretation.

My favourite Hallowmas experience so far has been discovering that the tooltip on the Contrarian’s Favour icon is blank so it just pulls up the icon again. It feels like asking the game, &quotCan you tell me more about the Mayor?&quot and having the Mayor reply, &quotNo.&quot

I completely agree with Siankan. There’s a multitude of things I can do with Confessions: make progress on three opposing factions (with presumably the end goal of helping the Envoy), upgrade companions, trade them with other players, earn favour with the Contrarian… and I only have three Confessions right now that I can do this with, with no apparent way of replenishing them except for waiting for a daily grab-bag refresh. And while the Confession cost of upgrading pets is clear, it’s not clear to me how many Confessions I need to spend to earn enough Progress on each faction to gain the qualities needed to help the Envoy. Right now it appears that I have to choose one option or the other, eg. if I want to learn more about the Rosers’ story, I may lock myself out of upgrading any pets or earning the Contrarian’s favour.

Because resources are scarce with little margin for error, I’m finding myself in a bit of choice paralysis as to what path to pursue next. Furthermore, I’ve received two trading offers from players, but I’m leaning towards rejecting both because if I trade my single type of Confession away for a short-term gain, when can I expect to receive another one again for my longer-term plans? The scarcity of resources is driving me to risk aversion: hoarding Confessions and discouraging me from social actions, which is a real shame.

Nevertheless, this is my first Hallowmas, which is still exciting. I just have to hold onto my Confessions, decide carefully what to do next, and take careful steps based on limited information.
edited by Vega on 10/24/2018

[quote=Jolanda Swan]Perhaps we will have the chance to acquire extra confessions next week? Via Flash Lays, Heists, Cases or any other mechanic?[/quote]Something like this would be fantastic, if only to give us already-Destiny’d players an activity to do for Hallowmas between waiting for the daily confession drops (that is, other than building up my collection of Tiny Cave Fish. 56 and counting!). However, I’m guessing that a mechanism like this would have been noted in the initial Hallowmas announcement, so as not to upset players who spend Fate on confessions during the first week. So it seems unlikely to happen. But perhaps next week will hold a few surprises for us.

Last year’s Notability grind was painfully tedious and really only available to advanced players, but some way of getting extra confessions without $ would be appreciated, especially with the myriad new ways of spending them. After the backlash last year, it looks like the pendulum may very well have swung too far in the opposite direction, with the possibility of gaining additional confessions without Fate having been eliminated entirely.

Where am I supposed to be seeing the three confessions today? What I can see include:

Hallowmas 1896: Where Did the Rosers Go?
The Princess at Hallowmas
The Widow at Hallowmas
The Duchess at Hallowmas

I’ve been everywhere throughout London and I’m not seeing anything else in this regard.

J-

I feel very much the same way. Wait and see; don’t act until enough is known to make an informed decision. Unfortunately, that isn’t nearly as fun.

It also carries some risk, because there’s a chance that once you know enough to make an informed decision, there won’t be time to fully act on that decision. So, I’d recommend going ahead and trading. The confessions market is fairly liquid, so there’s a good chance that you can get the confessions you need even fairly late in the game. That said, I did say the word chance. The best bet, in my mind, is to angle for the confessions you need for your preferred companions; that way, you’re guaranteed something no matter what happens. You don’t have to spend them yet, just acquire them. Then, if you discover further in that you really need to spend a particular confession on the Rosers, there’s still a decent chance someone will make the trade.