Hallowmas 1896: The Mystery of the Rosers

[color=#0066ff]In the small, mean days before Hallowmas, London finds itself plagued with dreams of falling roses…[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Hallowmas has returned! The Feast of Masks, when opposites meet at midnight! This is the season of unexpected guests and dangerous revelations; a free festival, open to all players. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]This year, London’s Feast of Masks will take place from 24th October until the 7th of November. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]A Mystery at Hallowmas[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]This Hallowmas, a mystery has set Londoners’ minds alight. Meet an Envoy from the Elder Continent, and hunt for confessions in order to answer her sovereign’s question - where did the Rosers go?[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]To begin, find Hallowmas 1896: An Envoy from the Elder Continent, available throughout London.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Confessions at the Feast of Masks[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Guard your identity with a mask and collect confessions: of guile, pride, impropriety, violence, whimsy or curiosity. It’s your choice to trade them to acquaintances or prominent persons of the Neath. Certain combinations of confessions will allow you to enhance particular companions, and gather clues from others also pursuing the mystery.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]We’ve set up a thread for trading confessions i[/color][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]n the Singing Mandrake, and there’s also [/color]a channel for the festival in the official fan Discord[color=rgb(0, 102, 255)].[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]In order to make a trade with someone else in Fallen London, you will need to add them as an acquaintance, either by visiting their profile page and clicking ‘add contact’ or by typing in their character name during the trade.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Begin trading with other players on Hallowmas 1896: Where Did the Rosers Go?, available throughout London.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Will your collection make the papers?[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Make any decisions about the confessions you’ve gathered by the 7th of November![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]At the end of the festival, Mr. Huffam will be about, looking to interview festival-goers and their companions for the Hallowmas Edition of the Unexpurgated Gazette. Will your collected companions ensure you a rapt write-up?[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Destinies[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]This is the season of unexpected guests… who carry terrible glimpses of possible futures. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Acquire a destiny, or change yours for a new one. This can only be done at certain times of the year, so take advantage of the chance! Begin with Attract a Visitor at Hallowmas.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]We hope you enjoy this festival, and find satisfaction in puzzling out London’s latest mystery![/color]

I don’t see this story, only &quotAttract a Visitor at Hallowmas&quot.

Edit: Never mind. There it is.

edited by dov on 10/24/2018

For some reason I can’t talk to the Envoy again from Hallowmas 1896: Where Did the Rosers Go?, I just get sent out of the storylet. There also aren’t any visible ways to gain more Confessions other than Fate?

Where do you gain confessions in the first place?

You gain confessions from a separate storylet. Contrary to what the tutorial text says, it looks like they’re all available from the start.

There may be a daily limit on confessions though - looks like the separate storylet vanished after 3?

…the Contrarian has a +20 Persuasive weapon for 10 confessions. I don’t know how to feel about this.

There may be a daily limit on confessions though - looks like the separate storylet vanished after 3?[/quote]

As the event goes on, you’ll be able to get more free confessions from that storylet, but it’s presumably not the main source of confessions for those of us trying to get everything.
edited by Optimatum on 10/24/2018

Is there a place to procure Confessions through Notability this year?

How did you know the stats for it??

Someone already got it on the Discord.

Man, I am in the dark about that. I am already quite overwhelmed by the social media that I am now using.

OK, seriously, where is this storylet? What is it called?

I’ve been experimenting with the API recently (with permission), and I’ve designed my script to automatically record almost anything it encounters in an object graph.

This can reveal information that is not immediately apparent, as a lot of things sent by the Fallen London server are not actually shown in the browser interface. For instance, I can confirm that &quotPrivate Debating Lessons with the Jovial Contrarian” is a Weapon, as the requirement on the branch for receiving it actually says as much.

And I didn’t have to waste a ridiculous amount of Fate to know that so soon.
edited by Saklad5 on 10/24/2018

Also, I love all the new companion concepts. I just hope it is possible to get everything through clever gameplay, rather than having to pay for it. A dedicated player should be able to do it all, without paying a cent: that might require an extremely unhealthy sleep schedule without being an Exceptional Friend, but still.

That being said, I’m always happy that nothing is truly Fate-locked.
edited by Saklad5 on 10/24/2018

Preliminary analysis on the Discord is that, without any way to grind confessions, we’ll get 12 free confessions and need to buy 34 more with Fate to get everything.

[quote=Optimatum]Preliminary analysis on the Discord is that, without any way to grind confessions, we’ll get 12 free confessions and need to buy 34 more with Fate to get everything.

edited by Optimatum on 10/24/2018[/quote]

So the Favour gain is lower than for last year’s mayor (Feducci)?

I love the setup. I am going to miss the invdividual confessions, but this is another way to get lore - the confessions themselves feel more mechanical, but the Rosers’ story will probably offset that.
Now, how can we grind confessions? I am sure something will come up; I doubt the festival will consist of us waiting for the free confessions.

So the Favour gain is lower than for last year’s mayor (Feducci)?[/quote]

The estimations are:

• 24 Confessions to upgrade all companions, raising progress with all three factions in the process[/li][li]Six Confessions for the Envoy[/li][li]Six Confessions to get all three clues for the Envoy[/li][li]Ten Confessions for the Contrarian’s weapon (at 6 favour per)

We get three Confessions today and one every weekday through the 6th. Unless faction progress turns out to do nothing aside from betraying for confessions, there’s currently no way to get more without losing out on content. Which means doing everything requires buying 34 Confessions, or 510 Fate.

In other words, if you want the Contrarian’s weapon, other companions cost two to three Confessions—which is 30 to 45 Fate. If we aren’t able to grind Confessions, I’ll get the weapon and ignore the rest of this year’s festival. If the companions require indirectly spending Fate, might as well wait for next year and buy them for Fate directly at a lower price.

Be careful on &quotLet Slivvy Speak&quot storylet. You can buy a last year’s companion you already own. (until devs fix it) Those options cost Fate, so… Tread carefully.
edited by Zarremgregarrok on 10/24/2018

The Clue from the Injurious Princess is categorized as a “Story” quality, while the other clues are categorized under “Accomplishment”. There must be something unique about that one.