Hallowmas, 1891: The Visitors Are Here

Those are the most easily accessible.
Opportunity cards connected with a faction such as Docks or the Church tend to have an option that shuffles Airs too (e.g. church fetes, buying rounds of drinks, attending lectures at the brass embassy), but those are card-based so much less reliable.

Besides, they’re probably not that innocent.

Seconding Spacemarine. People who get drunk enough to fall in gutters are in urgent need of temperance, a virtue you generously promote by relieving them of the means to buy alcohol. You are essentially stuffing sobriety in their pockets – with such selfless abandon, in fact, that no room is left for vulgar worldly goods, which are swept away by the overflowing tides of your benevolence.
edited by Flyte on 10/24/2013

Thanks to you, for the excellent work on the wiki! For me it’s become an essential part of enjoying Fallen London ^^

BTW: the attribute for the dream of roses is &quotA possible future: A pricked finger&quot (#5). Slightly less ominous than Chill of the Void or Taste of Blackest Brine, hmm?

Anyway. I was reading the text of the Navy Lieutenant storylet, and I noticed that apparently the name of the Carnelian Coast is misspelled. Any ideas on possible omophones or similes? Cornelian? Cornerian? Coniglia? XD
edited by streetfelineblue on 10/24/2013

Thanks to you, for the excellent work on the wiki! For me it’s become an essential part of enjoying Fallen London ^^

BTW: the attribute for the dream of roses is &quotA possible future: A pricked finger&quot (#5). Slightly less ominous than Chill of the Void or Taste of Blackest Brine, hmm?

Anyway. I was reading the text of the Navy Lieutenant storylet, and I noticed that apparently the name of the Carnelian Coast is misspelled. Any ideas on possible omophones or similes? Cornelian? Cornerian? Coniglia? XD
edited by streetfelineblue on 10/24/2013[/quote]

I think it’s simpler than misspelling.

Carnelian is red. Sapphires are blue. Perhaps it’s a mistranslation? Or perhaps the name the English picked for it was just entirely silly, like calling Native Americans &quotIndians&quot.

…I hadn’t the slightest idea that &quotcarnelian&quot was red quartz O_o It seems like playing Fallen London is &quotlearn a new English word every day or the like (I still remember yesterday’s toque XD).

So. A reference to venom-rubies, perhaps? In Italian &quotcarnelian&quot would be &quotcorniola&quot, that sounds very similar to &quotcorniolo&quot, a kind of plant (or the hard wood of that plant, sometimes used to make arrows), but I don’t think that’s relevant.

That’d be &quotcarmine&quot in English. &quotCarnelian&quot should be this: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corniola

[quote=streetfelineblue]I was reading the text of the Navy Lieutenant storylet, and I noticed that apparently the name of the Carnelian Coast is misspelled.[/quote]Hahaha, I like that lady. I’m excited to meet her again in Sunless Sea! But, yeah, not &quotcarnelian&quot. For an area loaded with sapphires, it should probably be named the Cerulean Coast.

feels the flaming gaze of resident geology geeks …Uh, I’ll add that rubies and sapphires are colored varieties of the same mineral: corundum. Red corundum is known as a ruby, and any other color of corundum is typed as a sapphire.

If we already met our desired visitor, can we get rid of our Nightmare Quality? Or do we need it for future Hallowmas events?

Well, at the very least you can use it to stack up on Tiny Cave Fishes, if you so desire*. At 1.50 Echoes and just one or two points of Making Waves, it could be useful, should the fish prove useful in the future (unlikely, but possible). Apart from that, it doesn’t seem there will be anything at the moment - the dream revelations seem to be bound to occur after the holiday - but who knows? Unless the Nightmares really bother you, I would keep them, just in case something new pops up unexpectedly ^^

*At least, according to the wiki, this doesn’t change the &quotpossible future&quot quality. Is that right?

There is no possible future in fish. This may or may not be a striking commentary on the fishing industry.

Well, who knows? The Taste of Blackest Brine seems fishy - that is, zee- and fish-related.

So we seem to have done all options anyone has seen… and yet there’s still a dream quality missing! We have 1 (Well, it’s numberless, but assumed to be 1) and 3-6, but no 2.

How rare is the visitors card? I got it once and chose to buy a fish, thinking it might be necessary. Now I can’t get it to come back. It’s been two days… My nightmares and making waves are high enough, though that doesn’t seem to be necessary anyway. How often are others getting this card? I’m starting to worry I might not get it again before the event is over…

I’d say I get it about twice per day, so maybe once every 60 cards?

I got the card twice yesterday, but haven’t seen it so far today.

Putting the Pieces Together: the Drownies caps at three, I’ve discovered, but you still get the extraordinary implication.

Odd… I’ve definitely gone through far more cards than that. My luck is atrocious.

my question is this: why is the thread title Hallowmas 1892 if the ingame year is 1891?

That… is an excellent question, actually.

…just the usual timey-wimey I suppose :)

Even the blog post says 1892, so it’s probably not a typo. Maybe a misnumbering.
Or maybe we’re going to fall asleep for a year and get woken up by a kiss from a snake or something.