goods' use

Hello,

here there are (rightly so) many threads on reviews and feedbacks. However sometimes I miss some tips on the game itself, especially in the absence of a wiki.
So I was thinking we could have a thread to list all the possible uses of the various goods and objects we can meet during the game - it happened to me several times that I would like to sell something in London but I hesitate because I don’t know if it could be useful somewhere, and for what.
I know that things will surely change during the development of the game, but it could still be useful I think.

So, who wants to start? :)

Some of my discoveries follow.

Where you may need:[i]

Ambiguous Eolith[/i]:

[ul][li]London, sell at University for 70E (1E if you are unlucky)[/li][/ul]Crate of Souls:

• Mount Palmerston, Explore, A buzzing beggar -> Yes, you have souls (for ?)
  • Khan’s Glory, Offer a gift to the Leopard, 5 (for 1 Leopard’s Condescention)

[ul][li]Khan’s Glory, Offer a gift to the Taimen, 5 (for 1 Taiman’s Mercy)[/li][/ul]Echoes
[ul][li]Whither, House of Question -> Ask about the drowned man, need 100E (for ?)
[/li][/ul]Fuel:

[ul][li]Cumaean Canal, 22 + 4 Supplies to Travel to Surface (for a big terror reduction + access to Surface storylines)[/li][li]Vanderbight, House of question, Gain Stone’s favour (with Watchful Curio and 10E)[/li][/ul]Hunting Trophy:

[ul][li]Godfall, for 1 Zee Story, 1 Tale of Terror, 1 Memory of Distant Shores and X Fragments[/li][li]Abbey Rock, for -8 terror[/li][/ul]Live Specimen:

[ul][li]Vanderbight, House of question, Gain Storm’s favour (with Mushroom Wine and 10E)[/li][/ul]Memory of Distant Shores:

[ul][li]London, for a tattoo (+2 Mirrors)[/li][li]Vanderbight, sell for 12E[/li][/ul]Moves in the Great Game:

[ul][li]London, sell to Admiral for 50E[/li][/ul]Mushroom Wine:

• Shepherd Isles, 2 + 15 Supplies, gets Strategic Information[/li][li]Vanderbight, House of question, Gain Storm’s favour (with Live Specimen and 10E)

[ul][li]Khan’s Heart, Seek a Commercial License[/li][/ul]Outlandish Artifact:

[ul][li]London, sell at University for 100E[/li][/ul]Pewter Horsehead
[ul][li]Khan’s Glory, Giving a Pewter Horsehead, to get -5 Terror, -1 Khaganian Suspicion, 1 Memory of Distant Shores[/li][/ul]Recent News:

[ul][li]at the Light Ships for -2 Terror[/li][li]Hunter’s Keep, to get lunch with the sisters. Rewards depends on sister. Cynthia: 1 Supplies, 1 Tale of Terror, +1 Terror. Lucy: 1 Supplies, -10 Terror. Phoebe: 1 Supplies, -5 Terror, 1 Memory of Distant Shores.[/li][li] Abbey Rock, for -2 terror[/li][li]Vanderbight, sell for 10E[/li][/ul]Revelatory Chart:

[ul][li]London, Admiral (for ?)[/li][/ul]Secret:

[ul][li]London, Forgotten quartier, to get an Eyeless Skull[/li][/ul]Supplies:

[ul][li]Shepherd Isles, 15 + 2 Mushroom wine, gets Strategic Information
[/li][li]Cumaean Canal, 4 + 22 Fuel to Travel to Surface (for a big terror reduction + access to Surface storylines)[/li][li] Abbey Rock, for 11E[/li][/ul]Tale of Terror:

[ul][li]London, for a tattoo (+2 Iron)[/li][li] Mutton Island, Explore the shore, Glittery Eye -> Turn the Situation (with 1 Zee Story, for 50 fragments)[/li][/ul]Vision of the Surface:

[ul][li]London, for a tattoo (+2 Hearts)[/li][li] Vanderbight, sell for 15E[/li][/ul]Watchful Curio:

• Vanderbight, House of question, Gain Stone’s favour (with 1 Fuel and 10E)

[ul][li]London, for a tattoo (+2 Veils)[/li][li] random event, Burning Blue (for ?)[/li][li] Mutton Island, Explore the shore, Glittery Eye -> Turn the Situation (with 1 Tale of terror, for 50 fragments)
[/li][/ul]
Where you may get:

Ambiguous Eolith:

[ul][li]Shepherd Isles, Picnic at Standing Stones (rare outcome?)[/li][/ul]Echoes:

[ul][li]Port Cecil, Explore the coral, In Amber -> Chip some (variable, between 150 and 250E in my tests)[/li][li] Khan’s Heart, Wanter Khan’s Heart, Stranger in difficulties -> Assist (with 3 Leopard’s Condescention)[/li][li]Khan’s Heart, Strategic Information, 50E, +2 Taiman’s Mercy, -2 Admiral’s Favour
[/li][li] Mount Palmerston, Explore, Blemmingan Colony -> Assault (15E, test success)[/li][/ul]Hearts
[ul][li]Whither, Explore the town, An intriguing smell -> Something mysterious (+2, with +2 Iron, +2 Mirrors and 30 fragments, test success)[/li][/ul]Iron:

• Mutton Island, Drinks at Cock & Magpie (with +1 Veils, -3 terror, -50E, rare outcome)[/li][li]Whither, Explore the town, An intriguing smell -> Something mysterious (+2, with +2 Mirrors, +2 Hearts and 30 fragments, test success)

[ul][li]Port Cecil, Explore the coral, Shadowy predator -> capture (test success)[/li][li] Gaider’s Mourn, Explore the mourn, riddles -> Riddles of Pearl (with X fragments, test success)[/li][li] Whither, Explore the town, riddles -> Riddles of Pearl (with X fragments, test success)[/li][/ul]Memory of Distant Shores: [ul][li]Shepherd Isles, Tales of the Standing Stones (rare outcome?)[/li][li] Shepherd Isles, Tales of the Three Graves (with 1 Zee Story, rare outcome?)[/li][li] Shepherd Isles, Tales of the Thornell Croft [/li][li] Khan’s Heart, Pay a Storyteller (note: another outcome gives Visions of the Surface)[/li][li]Khan’s Glory, Giving a Pewter Horsehead (with -5 terror and -1 Khaganate’s Suspicion)
[/li][li] Hunter’s Keep, during the Hunter Keep in Darkness storylet[/li][/ul]Mirrors
[ul][li]Whither, Explore the town, An intriguing smell -> Something mysterious (+2, with +2 Iron, +2 Hearts and 30 fragments, test success)
[/li][/ul]Move in the Great Game:

• Cumaean Canal, Listen for Surface gossip (rare outcome?)

[ul][li]Khan’s Heart, Wander Khan’s Heart, Stranger in difficulties -> Assist (note: another outcome gives 50E and 3 Leopard’s Condescention)[/li][li] Hunter’s Keep, during the Hunter Keep in Darkness storylet[/li][/ul]Pages:

[ul][li]Port Cecil, Play Chess (test success)[/li][/ul]Scintillack:

[ul][li]Port Cecil, Gather Scintillack (+ X terror)[/li][/ul]Secret:

• Port Cecil, Explore, In Amber -> Examine the Ruins (with 1 Outlandish Artifact and fragments, rare outcome?)[/li][li] Mutton Island, Visit the Hilltop (rare outcome)[/li][li]Station III, Watch during the &quotoperation&quot (with 2 Acolyte’s Favour; note: Delivery Crate needed to open Station III storylets)[/li][li]Station III, Watch with Medical Interest during the &quotoperation&quot (with 5 Acolyte’s Favour, test success; note: Delivery Crate needed to open Station III storylets)

[ul][li]Vanderbight, Explore, Uneventful afternoon[/li][/ul]Strange Catch:

[ul][li]Port Cecil, Explore the coral, Shadowy predator -> Wait (test success)[/li][li] Gaider’s Mourn, Explore the mourn, riddles -> red challenge (with 20 fragments and X Echoes, test success)[/li][li] Whither, Explore the town, riddles -> red challenge (with 20 fragments and X Echoes, test success)[/li][/ul]Tale of Terror:

[ul][li]Shepherd Isles, Tales of the Standing Stones[/li][li] Shepherd Isles, Tales of the Three Graves (with +1 terror)[/li][li] Port Cecil, Explore the coral, Shadowy predator → Wait (with -2 crew, +5 terror, test failure)[/li][li] Port Cecil, Explore the coral, Shadowy predator → Retreat (+1 terror)[/li][li] Mutton Island, Explore the shore, Glittery Eye → I… (with +5 terror, -2E)[/li][li] Hunter’s Keep, during the Hunter Keep in Darkness storylet[/li][/ul]Veils:

[ul][li]Mutton Island, Drinks at Cock & Magpie (with +1 Iron, -3 terror, -50E, rare outcome)[/li][/ul]Vision of the Surface:
[ul][li]Khan’s Heart, Pay a Storyteller (note: another outcome gives Memory of Distant Shores)[/li][li] Cumaean Canal, Listen for Surface gossip (note: another outcome gives Moves in the Great Game)[/li][/ul]Watchful Curio:

• Hunter’s Keep, during the Hunter Keep in Darkness storylet
  • Shepherd Isles, Tales of the Three Graves (with 1 Memory of Distant Shores, rare outcome?)[/li][li] Shepherd Isles, Tales of the Thornell Croft (with fragments, rare outcome?)

edited by Master Polarimini on 6/30/2014
edited by Master Polarimini on 7/1/2014
edited by Master Polarimini on 7/1/2014

Hm. Like… what do you want?

At the moment there doesn’t seem to be much to trade but here is what I know. Profits are minimal if you buy things but if you get things from looting pirate ships.most sell in London and only a couple of things have a slightly better price elsewhere. I’m sure as more ports and shops open this will change so there doesn’t seem much point in listing places and prices.

other things

Hunting Trophies can be given either to the nuns for a terror reduction or the monks for Memories of Distant Shores, Tales of Terror and Zee Stories (one of each).

Recent News - sell for 10 echoes in Venderbight, or dock at a Light ship for 2 points of Terror reduction.

Visions of the Surface sell for 15 echoes in Venderbight

Once you have met the Poissonier Strange Catches give 5 echoes and either 1 or 3 supples.

I haven’t managed to sell everything to the Scholar at the University as I am trying to get everything for the Zong but Captivating Treasure and Judgement Eggs are very profitable, the one time I managed to get a Fluke Core it fortunately covered repairing the damage, replacing sailors and reducing terror that I received (both during the fight and as a consequence of letting the scholar have it).

Recent News can also be given to the sisters at hunter’s keep to talk to one of the sisters again for 10 terror reduction.

Keep in mind, though (at the risk of providing spoilers!), that diamonds are forever, but the sisters aren’t. Stygian Iron can be sold in Whither for 3 Tales of Terror or Polythreme for 30 echoes.

The youngest sister gives -5 terror and a memory of distant shores. The middle sister gives -10 terror, while the oldest gives a tale of terror and +1 terror.

I updated the first post with the result of a couple of hours of travels across the Unterzee. Note that the “Explore” action in many ports changes with time, here I could get only one (in one case two) outcome.
Also, I didn’t put the fragments’ gains unless they are together with other objects, and I wrote the Echoes’ gain not involving the shop selling (it is still incomplete though).

I am very doubtful on the outcome’s frequency for those actions that give two different results, I put the “rare” marking for the one that for my limited experience is less frequent.

Just been out to the Khanate. I don’t know if these results are variable or not and I used up my stock of 25 Drowning Pearls but I only had 1 spare of the other items. So there are things I didn’t get to and I hope I don’t get sent there again until I have a chance to get more of the needed items.

Khan’s Heart

Gifts to the Taiman

5 Drowning Pearls gave 1 Taiman’s Mercy

Strategic Information gave + 2 Taiman’s Mercy, + 50 echoes, - 2 Admiralty Favour

Using 3 Taiman’s Mercy gave - 3 Khaganian Suspicion
Using 4 Taiman’s Mercy gave + 2 Leopard’s Condension

5 Darkdrop Coffee to the Leopard gave 1 Leopard’s Condension

Khan’s Glory

Giving a Pewter Horsehead gave - 5 Terror, - 1 Khaganian Suspicion, 1 Memory of Distant Shores

The 15 supplies and 2 mushroom wine gives strategic information. Completely not worth it, unless you find the supplies.

The mutton island encounter with the man on the beach can give you 50 fragments - if you have a zee story and a tale of terror. Sheperd’s wake’s third option gives a zee story, while the first gives a tale of terror. So basically a words hunter’s keep - at least until the keep burns down.

Don’t forget to mention that you can sell mushroom wine in five-counts for a 2-to-3 profit.
edited by nameless on 6/30/2014

thanks for the suggestions, I’ll update the first post of any new information! (when I have time :) )

Of course everyone is welcome to add their own discoveries.

Going to the surface provides a big Terror reduction (I went from 23 to 0) and provides access to some storylets on the surface, although I suspect most of the eventual content there hasn’t been built yet.

In addition to penknife’s words on the Surface…

There’s a storylet that gives you 300 Echoes if you succeed, but that’s usualy just for covering the insane amount of Echoes spent on fuel. You WILL need a lot of it, and I don’t suggest going there until you’ve at least upgraded your ship to one that has higher Hold space. The Terror reduction is rather significant, though - even though going back to London will almost certainly reduce your Terror to 50, at the cost of a Nightmare (which isn’t all that terrifying, to be honest).

For the surface, it is easy to go to the sisters, sell all but 6 supply, go to mt. palmerston, fill your hold with fuel, then hunt for your hunger all the way to the canal. Finally, make sure you have max number of sailors, the surface kills sailors fast.

updated the list with the info from Lady Ciel, nameless, penknife and Chevalier.

Also added the results of another (very productive!) explore outcome of Whither and the Delivery storylet at the Station III (which in terms of items gives only 1 secret in a couple of actions, but it gives the possibility to obtain fragments and Acolyte’s Favour, which I suppose can be useful during subsequent passages to the Station).

Is there any known use for the Egg other than selling it to the University?

Or, more importantly, is there a way of getting another one after the first had been sold?

My line of thinking here is, if the Egg-producing storylet is repeatable, cashing Eggs in immediately is the way to go - as I don’t imagine one can have more than a single Egg at any given moment. Otherwise, I would rather hold on to it in case a more intriguing application appears in a future update.
edited by Jacob Stone on 7/2/2014

It is both (i) possible to have >1 Egg and (ii) repeatable regardless.

There is also a storylet in Khan’s Heart (I forgot the name, unfortunately) which has an option to buy the Soothe and Cooper Longbox (where I got mine the one time I got one) or options to buy other items such as drowning-pearls and what was advertised as a pot of violent ink for 77 echoes. I can’t remember all of the items, nor the names of the options, but it was from the something awaits you option.

where can you get the egg?

@Kerine, interesting storylet, didn’t see it! Do you need to have the trading license?

Mutton island, rarely. You must have the quality that allows rares to happen.

You can also pick up an Ambiguous Eolith from Palmerston, they sell them for 35E (I think)

Thanks for this list :) Very helpful.