Gone Mad From The Revelation: Nightmares 41!

Fingerkings are using my eyes as mirrors, I think I can hear the Correspondence from space, and all I can smell is honey and sulphur. Losing your mind in Fallen London is so fun!

Good LORD sir! Have a cup of tea!

But can you raise it to 77?

Oooh, what horrors do you see when you close your eyes? Or are they beyond the limits of any form of communication?

Mostly snakes. Lots and LOTS of snakes. On the bright side, they seem friendly-ish.

Mostly snakes. Lots and LOTS of snakes. On the bright side, they seem friendly-ish.[/quote]
Now that’s one river you don’t want to cross…

Mostly snakes. Lots and LOTS of snakes. On the bright side, they seem friendly-ish.[/quote]
Now that’s one river you don’t want to cross…[/quote]
HahahahahahhahaHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA PLEASE HELP ME THERE IS A RIVER OF SNAKES IN MY EYES AND I’M STARTING TO CRY A RIVER. OF SNAKES. I AM CRYING A RIVER OF SNAKES SOMEONE PLEASE ASSIST.

Sir, the side effects were clearly listed on your antidepressants.

With regards,
Oh!phidia, Customer Service Dpt

Cry out the sadness.

Um, how exactly did you do that?

Good question… best guess: The catafalrique. to reach lv. 40, you’d want to go into the nadir with nightmares 9, with nightmare reducing gear (so you don’t go mad prior to entry). swap to 10 by swapping to a certain hat. double your nightmares with the catafalrique, for nightmares 20. Double again, for 40, with catafalrique. If he did it this way and it properly locks at nightmares 21+, he scored the last point from wearing a nightmare-boosting gear for the picture.

This descrption assumes the nightmare doubling effect is applies to nightmare from equips, too. this may be incorrect, but the catafalrique is still faster than ramping it up 1-2 points a time in the mirror marshes.
edited by Grenem on 3/3/2016

Isn’t that a little dangerous to show there? No, not the nightmares. Im guessing you are not in knife and candle?

Good question… best guess: The catafalrique. to reach lv. 40, you’d want to go into the nadir with nightmares 9, with nightmare reducing gear (so you don’t go mad prior to entry). swap to 10 by swapping to a certain hat. double your nightmares with the catafalrique, for nightmares 20. Double again, for 40, with catafalrique. If he did it this way and it properly locks at nightmares 21+, he scored the last point from wearing a nightmare-boosting gear for the picture.

This descrption assumes the nightmare doubling effect is applies to nightmare from equips, too. this may be incorrect, but the catafalrique is still faster than ramping it up 1-2 points a time in the mirror marshes.
edited by Grenem on 3/3/2016[/quote]
Is level 41 any different from level 21 or is it just a cosmetic number?

[quote=Anne Auclair]Is level 41 any different from level 21 or is it just a cosmetic number?[/quote]Well, reducing it to an acceptable level will be a lot more tedious, I imagine. Enjoy your stay at Bethlem!

Well (having been talking to Sir Joseph), the levels halve and halve again, but it still was Level 10 when he left the Nadir. Annoying, not unsurmountable.

Judging by the image, raving still appears to be the lone descriptor for Nightmares even up to 41. At that level, perhaps the other kind of raving under an irrigo light would be appropriate.

Oh noooo, you could have gotten Nightmares even higher with 2 draws of the Catafalrique (but! holy mother of spacekrabs that’s an impressive number!)

Nightmares 9 (-2)
Nightmares 10 (+1)*2=20
Nightmares 21 (+1)*2=42
Nightmares 43 (+1)

Also, when leaving the Cave of the Nadir, the quartering effect couples with negative nightmare gear.

Anyone up for some Gaoler’s Honey? ;)

edited by Grenem on 3/3/2016[/quote]
Close, you’re mostly right. The only thing that I did different was that I opened the Cave of the Nadir storylet in the Forgotten Quarter and then accepted a request from an alt to increase my Nightmares. This allowed me to have a total of Nightmares 10 before entering the Cave, which allowed me to increase it further to 20 and then 40 with the Catafalrique card. After topping it off with a Sporing Bonnet, I was able to reach 41. I think I’ll try to raise it further to 43 using Cecil’s advice. Thanks friend!

Oh, trust me, I know the risk. And yes, I do play. It’s a mixture of taking fun risks and not caring since I have so many of the buggers. Besides, I’m in the Moon League, and I’m fairly certain that you can’t steal boxes in it.

Since last September’s Exceptional Story Cut With Moonlight removed the limit of 100 Mirrorcatch Boxes, they aren’t particularly rare. Anyone who did the story can buy more and even non-Exceptional Friends who were around in September were able to get one.

I hadn’t thought of social actions, with a social action, it should be possible to reach uh, 47 with that trick (which will be the absolute max the Catafalrique can manage).

Nightmares 9 (-2)
Go inside Nadir storylet
Accept Nightmare social action, N=10
Nightmares 11 (+1)*2=22
Equip Negative nightmare gear
Nightmares 20 (-2)
Draw Catafalrique
Nightmares 23 (+1)*2=46
Nightmares 47 (+1)

There is also the “bug but not high enough priority to fix” case of storylets that don’t kick you out when they raise a menace, technically allowing you to get your menaces up as high as your patience allows. As a bug though, I’d imagine there is no associated content, other than a very tedious grind to get back to normal.